What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie question - O320 "facelift"?

chinch

Assuming an O320 (~500 SMOH) is in good internal condition but the external presentation is wanting (chipped and flaked paint), what can be done to make it look more presentable without completely removing and dismantling the engine?

Last edited:
I too am interested to know what other members have to say about this one. Anyone with some insight, please chime in!

Hi Chris....

...we used a round wire brush in a drill and also a vibrating sander to remove what we could of the old, flaky paint on our 180 Lyc.

We first washed the engine with kerosene and green cleaner to get as much oil and dirt off as we could.

There are so many "lumps" like the top of the case, that it just takes elbow grease and also sandpaper in places and a hand held wire brush.

We bought original Lyc gray from ACS in spray cans and it turned out really nice.

Best,

My reply was only sort-of tongue-in-cheek... My O-320 is in the same state, but its hardly surprising at 1900 hours on its second time through. But compressions remain high, oil conisumption low, and power smooth and consistent. I don't want to change anything! So I look it over carefully whenever the cowling is off, but then I cover it up again before anyone sees it. :)

Back