What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HUD Display

brianwallis

VAF moderator
Hello Everybody! Things are rocking right along here. I hope everybody is staying busy and having a great holiday season. Until I take delivery of a laser cutter, I have use of several at the shop. The first project is a HUD display. No moving parts, Lighting is optional. As far as I can tell, it will be two front to back rails that fit on your instrument panel cover, these rails will then hold the flat plate slightly above their base so that panel curve is not an issue. It will have a large circle on the outside and a target circle on the inside. This is only something for your pleasure use... no moving parts... no electronic connections. The lighted version will have the circle and any other marks made in the display lit up in whatever color you want. The etching from the laser captures the light from the LED's placed at the bottom. It's reallllllly cool!. I'll have pics pretty soon of the prototype. If you have any ideas on how you want yours made, please send the ideas to wallis aviation at hotmail dot com.
I can do custom HUD's. Send me 25 bucks, that will cover shipping and a donation to Doug. The lit version will be a little bit more. Still working out the details. A great place to see examples of the lighting is on youtube. Look up Edge Lit LED sign. The inspection panel covers are next out of acrylic. If anyone wants to send me a file, I'll cut one for you so you can try it out. Specify the thickness and color if any and I'll let you try it out at cost.
If anybody wants anything else cut out with a laser, please let me know. The laser will mark on metal but not cut it if you need tools marked. 1 Buck per tool to start out.... The work area is generally 24x18 inches.

Best
Brian

Last edited:
Are we talking a functioning HUD or a novelty thing? I'm a complete HUD cripple, and could see myself shelling out the cash for a functioning one.!

Novelty only

No moving parts, no real targeting or electronics... Although..... You've got me thinking....;)

Last edited:
Brian,

Here's a thought for your early R&D.

Though I know its a novelty item, and will be something like what we called an iron bombsight in the A-4, any chance you could make the reticle (or whatever display is generated) slightly adjustable up and down, perhaps with a little thumbwheel on the side to raise or lower the pipper (like a windage adjustment knob on a rifle scope). Could be done by changing the angle of the HUD glass, or by moving the light beam a little, not sure which would be easier.

That way one could adjust it for varying dive angles during flour bag or pumpkin drops, or adjust it to provide the proper lead for air to air guns tracking.

Just thinkin...(always dangerous!)

Needless to say, if you build it, I'm in! (I need more stuff on my glareshield! :rolleyes:)

Cheers,
Bob

I'm going to throw this out here and get shot down in flames, but hopefully I'll learn something or get someone else thinking too. I want a working one badly.

My understanding is that HUDs work more or less like an overhead projector with a lit display underneath, and a partially silvered mirror that the image is displayed on. How hard would it be to take an efis, mount it vertically and view the image on the mirror? Obviously the image would be backwards, but I'm guessing a HUD mode in a modern efis wouldn't be much to add?

Not intending to hijack your thread Brian, but it sounds like you're coming up with the other half of it already.

Military HUD is focused to infinity so that the pilot truly looks through the HUD without having to change focus.

I'm going to throw this out here and get shot down in flames, but hopefully I'll learn something or get someone else thinking too. I want a working one badly.

My understanding is that HUDs work more or less like an overhead projector with a lit display underneath, and a partially silvered mirror that the image is displayed on. How hard would it be to take an efis, mount it vertically and view the image on the mirror? Obviously the image would be backwards, but I'm guessing a HUD mode in a modern efis wouldn't be much to add?

Not intending to hijack your thread Brian, but it sounds like you're coming up with the other half of it already.

It's an interesting idea, however I think you'll be severely limited by the space behind the panel and on the glare shield to get everything in there. I'm not sure what the process is to make the combining glass that our HUD symbology is projected on, but it's thick and looks expensive. It would be sweet.

That virtualhud projected on the back of the prop is a cool idea, I'd have to see it in person. Probably throw up from flicker vertigo.

(snip)

That virtualhud projected on the back of the prop is a cool idea, I'd have to see it in person. Probably throw up from flicker vertigo.

I'd guess it's not a problem. At 2500 rpm a two bladed prop would be a touch over 80hz. NTSC video is, i think, 30 FPS.

I'd guess it's not a problem. At 2500 rpm a two bladed prop would be a touch over 80hz. NTSC video is, i think, 30 FPS.

I've never really understood the Virtual HUD. The point of a HUD is to keep your eyes out of the cockpit, which is a desirable thing in emergency situations - like an engine failure. With a stopped prop.

You mean like this ...?

Does your HUD look anything like this?

Indexers2-1.jpg

It's nonfunctional, but looks good and serves its Walter Mitty purpose. And, in case you're wondering, it does not get in the way. I actually forget it's there most of the time.

HUD Cripples unite!

Brian,

From one hopeless HUD cripple to another! Several years ago a company called HUDIS was developing a HUD system and put one in an RV4. Turned out to be complex, heavy and unreliable.
The coolest thing I have seen lately is the iPhone "Sight" HUD App that really works. I tried it in my RVX just sitting on the glare shield and it works! Not quite the real thing but simple, light and cheap! It might fit nicely right under your combiner glass. Maybe an iPhone mount underneath? :)

Smokey
RVX
HR2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6nxcoWwqqk&feature=related

Last edited:
Guys,
Brian asked me to post a couple of pics for him...

35mgths.jpg

And...

r0v23p.jpg

Brian will have to fill you in on the details. I'm just the CAD Monkey... :cool:

Prototype

That was the prototype, the second version will have more taken off the bottom so that there is no curve interference with the panel. The notches on the side have been squared off for the supports to fit better. It's 5 inches tall. 20 bucks plus shipping gets you one of these bad boys.... No moving parts, no lights, just a gunsight/HUD. Version 2 will have LED lighting that illuminates the etching in the acrylic. I saw the super fancy electronic HUD's posted and figured I'd better post a pic quick... Lest you think your getting a F-16 full electronic HUD... ;)
Big thanks to Moose for posting the pics while I'm on the road!!
Best
Brian.

Last edited:
At least if the engine quits... you no longer need to monitor all that engine information anyways. All you need to know from that point is airspeed :)

While working with UAV systems, I've played with some splendid monocular displays. Like a real HUD, they are focused at infinity... but you get your information no matter where you are looking. Unfortunately, these are still bulky and expensive.

I'd love a monocular display while racing sailplanes. We spend a lot of time circling, near stall, in a gaggle of gliders and you have to keep your eyes outside the cockpit. Yet, we also need our airspeed, climb rate and various bits of information from our flight computer.

I was thinking about applications for the projector prototyped by http://lightblueoptics.com/ and thought a HUD might be the perfect solution! (It would even be touchscreen!)

Jeff, I'm thinking this is a genuine candidate for a low cost HUD - according to the literature, the physics results in a pseudo collimated aspect, which, if true, means that the single biggest hurdle to a proper HUD is removed.

Now I just need to pony up $1200 for the development kit to find out what this puppy can really do. Hmm.

I am developing a HUD for experimental aircraft use, the Patent is in the works, the price will be about $950 delivered and will use data from your EFIS.

Light weight, under 1 lb, Clear easy to read and adjustable for different heights and angles.

PM me if you are interested on one and we will talk,

Back