What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick Build priming and build quality

chinch

Can anyone confirm the degree to which the QB kits (the 8 in particular) are alodyned and primed? There is only one reference on the Vans site that I can find to priming, and it offers no detail.

Is each component part primed individually before assembly? Fully or just along the rivet/assembly lines? Which paint is used?

Can anyone also speak to the build quality of the QB? I assume that if you want a show plane, you wouldn't start with a QB, is that right? But how close to a good build quality is it - one that you can be proud of? What about resale value - does the market differentiate between a standard build and quick build kit?

I have not had any personal experience with QB kits, but from what I've noticed from reading the forum it seems like the majority of the kit is not "finished" meaning paint/primer/alodine/anodize. The spars are available anodized, but I am not sure if they are part of the QB kit or an option on the side. Other than that it seems to be alclad sheet.

There's a heated discussion over priming, whether to do it, how much, what kind, etc. Also note that alodine and anodize are two different physical processes.

In my QB 7

The prime is over the whole part, not just the rivet lines and clearly done before assembly and the prep looks good. They use a clear primer, not alodyne, so the surfaces look like dull scuffed up AL that would be easy to add a finish to. I think it is a Sherwin Williams product, IIRC.

Build quality on mine was very good. Personally I think show planes could start as a QB as easily as slow build. Most of what wins is all the million little details and many of them come after the stage the QB is at when it arrives. Good luck.

Can anyone confirm the degree to which the QB kits (the 8 in particular) are alodyned and primed? There is only one reference on the Vans site that I can find to priming, and it offers no detail.

Is each component part primed individually before assembly? Fully or just along the rivet/assembly lines? Which paint is used?

Can anyone also speak to the build quality of the QB? I assume that if you want a show plane, you wouldn't start with a QB, is that right? But how close to a good build quality is it - one that you can be proud of? What about resale value - does the market differentiate between a standard build and quick build kit?

QB 8 Kit

I just received my QB 8 kit this weekend and am very happy with it. :D Everything is unpacked and I'm about half way thru inventory. From what I have seen so far, the quaility is very good. I might have done better in a couple of areas, but I probably would have done much worse in others. For me personally, the QB kit gave me a substantial jump (at least 2 years, probably more) toward completion and flying. I also agree that the QB could be show plane quality, but much would depend on how the individual builder finishes the plane.

Skyking902001
RV-8
Emp-90%
QB kit-inventorying

What about resale value - does the market differentiate between a standard build and quick build kit?

It's hard to say if there is a specific monetary value that can be assigned to it, bit I'd say yes, the market differentiates between quick and slow build. All other things being equal, the QB wins.

I'm in the market for an RV, and I would not necessarily say no to a slow build plane, but I'm always more interested when the builder/seller tells me it is a quick build.

I would imagine unless you are a multiple builder with lots of experience, the QB quality would be at least as good or better then slow build. After all these folks have ample experience and professional tools and VANs inspect each kit before passing them to you. The workmanship of on my QB was great and it was primed over the entire kit.

I can not see any reason why a QB can not be a show plane and if I was going to buy, I would much prefer a QB kit over a slow build one.

QB quality is exceptional!

Just mated the wings on my RV-8a QB. ALL alignment measurements were well under 1/16 inch of "perfect" without any adjustments! Incidence was right on as well. Considering Van's says any variance under 1/2 inch is acceptable, I was impressed. I only found two rivets that were of less than very high quality on the wings. My riveting should be so good - I've replaced a LOT more than two of my own rivets. All that said, do expect to make some very minor adjustments in the QB. My gear weldments were off alignment from the wing spar pin holes in the center section by a fraction and needed some minor edge filing (3/64" or so) to get a proper fit.

The primer used will wash off with almost any solvent so be careful.

Albert Thomas
N880AT RV-8a QB
200 hours to go - or so I hope!

Official word from Vans

First of all, thanks so much for all the feedback, it's given me a great more deal confidence about the decision I'm making, and set me straight on a number of things I hadn't thought through properly.

For the record, here is the official word from Vans.

"Nothing is alodined. All the parts in the QB which are assembled have been primed with the P60G2 primer prior to assembly. All of the interior surfaces are primed - not just the rivet lines. This is a "minimal" priming job - see section 5 of the manual for the philosophy of priming."

Now my only concern is if "minimal" is appropriate for a coastal environment. A good part of NZ is within rock throwing distance of the sea. Also, I'm wondering how good the SW P60G2 is compared to the Imron 830 which I used 10 years ago, and has proven itself in my mind to be bulletproof (and yes, carcinogenic, and should no longer be used - no intent to start a primer debate, but when one only has one point of reference - Imron - it makes sense to ask how some thing else - P60G2 - compares to it).

Back