What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ME and My dad are thinking about building an RV-8 or 8A

Nickb145

Hey guys, i have always been interested in building things, legos, models, RC. and now i think i want to take it to the next level. WE were at oshkosh a few days ago, and the RV-8 looked like a great airplane to build. My dad thought it was a good idea and would be a blast. It would be a quick build to save like over 1000 hours

SO i am asking for pointers, how long it took you, upgrades. etc.

Nick,

Welcome to the VAF forum. You started at the right place by going to OSH.

Try out the search button, the answers to all your questions are locked away on this forum.

One suggestion, don't build the -8A. The -8 is SOOOooo... much better looking.

And with that, I'll let the others start telling you why you should built their particular model, what primer to use, what engine to install, etc. In other words, there are a lot of people on this forum who are more than willing to help with advice, labor, and friendship.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..... The RV-6 is the best looking RV!
That said, I love my RV-8heh! The 8's do look cool painted as fighters.
With the front and back baggage compartments, the -8s make fantastic
Cross country machines. You won't be sorry either way.

nosedragger

Taildraggers looks waaaaaaaaay sexier..Build the "8"..but....Landings are a different story, though from what I hear..the RV's are the best taildragger bar none. :)

Hehe..take it from me....I have a nose wheel and wish it would migrate to the back......gathering courage to transform my bird.

You Decide!

Just my 2 cents:

Since you are first-time, full-scale builders, I think most of us would recommend going the ?quick-build,? or, more accurately, ?quicker-build? route. Build speed varies drastically from fast builders who only take a year or two with even a ?slow-build? kit to slow builders like me (6 years and counting) who are slow despite purchasing a ?quick-build? kit. From what I can see, build speed is a function of many variables including building experience and aptitude, level of perfectionism, propensity/skill to modify, finances available, personal time available to build, building space, availability of experienced RV builders to help, tool type and availability, etc., etc., etc.! In other words, you, along with an experienced RV builder as a consultant, are probably the best judge(s) relative to how long it might take you to build and fly an RV.

If you don?t already have your pilot license(s), you might want to get that (those) first! Personally, I would recommend that you obtain your private pilot license(s) via a taildragger, if at all possible. If you already have your license(s), but only have nosewheel time, you might want to get your taildragger endorsement before deciding to go the RV-8 route.

Both the RV-8 and RV-8A are fine airplanes; both fly great. The main differences are looks, taxiing, and landing. Check-out their specs, performance, etc. at www.vansaircraft.com. Most Important of All: Go to Van?s in Aurora and fly both; call ahead first.

I would strongly recommend that you ignore the personal RV-8 vs. RV-8A opinions/biases offered here. We?re somehow all trying to trumpet and justify our own decisions! It?s very important that you make your own decision. You?ve got to live, build, and fly with it!

Good Luck!

Bill Palmer :)
Chino Hills, CA
RV-8A Finishing Kit

Just my 2 cents:

Since you are first-time, full-scale builders, I think most of us would recommend going the ?quick-build,? or, more accurately, ?quicker-build? route. Build speed varies drastically from fast builders who only take a year or two with even a ?slow-build? kit to slow builders like me (6 years and counting) who are slow despite purchasing a ?quick-build? kit. From what I can see, build speed is a function of many variables including building experience and aptitude, level of perfectionism, propensity/skill to modify, finances available, personal time available to build, building space, availability of experienced RV builders to help, tool type and availability, etc., etc., etc.! In other words, you, along with an experienced RV builder as a consultant, are probably the best judge(s) relative to how long it might take you to build and fly an RV.

If you don?t already have your pilot license(s), you might want to get that (those) first! Personally, I would recommend that you obtain your private pilot license(s) via a taildragger, if at all possible. If you already have your license(s), but only have nosewheel time, you might want to get your taildragger endorsement before deciding to go the RV-8 route.

Both the RV-8 and RV-8A are fine airplanes; both fly great. The main differences are looks, taxiing, and landing. Check-out their specs, performance, etc. at www.vansaircraft.com. Most Important of All: Go to Van?s in Aurora and fly both; call ahead first.

I would strongly recommend that you ignore the personal RV-8 vs. RV-8A opinions/biases offered here. We?re somehow all trying to trumpet and justify our own decisions! It?s very important that you make your own decision. You?ve got to live, build, and fly with it!

Good Luck!

Chino Hills, CA
RV-8A Finishing Kit

Thanks, I am close to getting my license, By the time i would get the plane almost/finished, i would already have my License/s.

My moms uncle built a christian eagle, my dads friend is pretty good with electrical and we have a few friends that have some experince builing some Light sport airplanes.

Just remember someone once said: "Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!" :D;):p

First off, welcome!

This piece of advice (quoted) is the best you will find. Build exactly what you want, ignore the chatter that will inevitably come from others.

Second, you wont get all your answers in one post, that is for sure and certain! It will be a constant state of learning throughout the entire build process. You'll read more posts and do more research than you thought possible while building. But in the end...you will learn a ton along the way.

Its a blast, and very cool that you are doing it with your dad, those will be memories you will always cherish. Best of luck!

Build what you want...

Ok, I totally agree that you should build what you want, as several folks have reiterated. But, I think it is constructive to see what others think so you can 'build what you want' from an informed standpoint (or at least with some alternative perspective).
There are dozens of folks that start down one road only to discover they now wish they would have chosen differently (no, I'm not just talking about A models).

The best advice (IMHO):
I think you should ask lots of questions (which are doing). Do an exhaustive amount of research (6 months for me). And then and only then, make the decision. Notice I did not mention experience or skill level as I don't believe that is an issue with any of the RVs.

Have fun with your decision and the build!

RV8

Nick,

Welcome to Vans Airforce. You will get good information here.

I wish you could come to my hangrer, www.RVCentral.us , here in Fort Worth, TX. I could let you remove a cowl off of a RV nose gear plane and a RV 8. The difference is Huge. For the life of owning your plane you will have it so much easer if you choose the 8 over the 8A. That alone is enough to build an 8.

Get the Grove airfoil gear legs, saves time to build, and weight.

Dayton Murdock has a better throttle quad, order his 'Danny King special', call him direct. He has a lighter tail wheel too, get that.

I have some mods that are easy to make and helps with maintence after your plane is flying. Call me for info. I am glad to help.

Build an 8!
I would like to see one painted like an Bf 109: :eek:

Last edited:
The best advice (IMHO):
I think you should ask lots of questions (which are doing). Do an exhaustive amount of research (6 months for me). And then and only then, make the decision.

Good advice of course... but sometimes, it's easier than this.

When I was dipping my toes into the homebuilt water, I looked at some "fat" ultralight types, plus the Rans S-7 (cool ship, still want one), even looked at a Skybolt rebuild project; then while at Oshkosh 2003 I was at the Vans tent looking at the QB kit laying in the grass, plus the hundreds of completed RVs parked in the grass... done. I think I can do this, I'm gonna build an RV. Quick Build of course.

But, which RV to build? This was actually the simplest question of them all; my requirements were: taildragger, tandem seats, slider bubble canopy, QB kits available. Duhhh, sounds like an RV-8 to me. Even the powerplant decision was a no brainer; a carbureted 180 hp Lyc, constant speed prop. That was easy!

Huge?

Hi Jay,

Okay, I?ll ?bite!? What Huge difference under the cowl? Engine/Nose Gear Mount, Exhaust Configuration, . . . what? (. . . and what?s the problem?)

Thanks,

(That California 8A freak that stops by your hangar about once a year either on his scooter or via his sister?s Lexus . . . she lives in Southlake; my mother lives in Keller.)

P.S. That IS a BEAUTIFUL RV-8 you built! (Borrowed Horse)

Work

Bill,

It is the hassle factor of building a cowl around the nose gear. Plus having extra farings to build, and screws to get the cowl off and on. A huge difference in the two. Add a three blade to a nose gear and the complexity goes up more.
No contest, the tail wheel cowl is a lot easer to remove and put on.

Cowl Installation and Removal

Thanks, Jay

I understand now . . . you're right, of course! The 8A cowl does need to make its way around the nose gear leg somehow. Most nose gear aircraft have the same issue; the 8A is not unusual there.

I'll see if I can make cowl installation/removal at least easier/quicker via MilSpec fasteners, hinges, or something.

Hopefully, I won't need to install and remove the cowl all that often, but . . . !

Thanks Again,

Nick,
my only advice is to start right away. Get the quick-build kit and start ASAP. The sooner you start, the sooner you'll be in the air. My dad and I started with a quick-build 8, and it has been the best time building together. We were just finishing up wiring, about to hang the engine, and he was diagnosed with cancer and gone two months later. I'll have to go it alone now, but I am SO grateful we got to spend the time with each other the last few years.

You guys will love building this kit.

Build times:
It took me 4 1/2 years to build my RV-6 QB, and 2 years to build my RV-8 standard build. You'll learn fast, so if you ever build another, you'll save lots of time. If you can build at home or very close to home (like the back yard) you'll finish faster. Good luck and have fun. Check in here whenever you have a problem with something. there's plenty of help.

Back