What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Short Video of RV-8 Aerobatics

RonRV8

I am experimenting with shooting video and trying various camera mounts. This was shot with a Canon PowerShot SD1400 IS that was rigidly mounted. The problem I have been having is that this camera is affected by vibration. I have a lot more video that is not good enough to post due to the vibration.

http://vimeo.com/13795366

Does anybody have suggestions on eliminating the vibration? I have also been reading about the GoPro camera.

Stunning!

Try taping some weight to the top of the camera. If you can change the frequency of the vibrations to be outside what the airframe is giving you it should eliminate the shaking.

Could also try changing where it's mounted. It might seem pretty rigid, but it may still vibrate a lot. Are you mounting to the back of the front seat?

With as much vibration as you're getting from the rigid mount, I'd suggest using a suction cup mount attached to the canopy. They absorb a lot of vibration.

We've also had issues with the image stabilizers in cameras. Check to see if yours is on. If it's an optical one, the lens has a tendency to shake a lot, depending upon how much vibration is actually present. Sometimes those little motors can't keep up.

NICE video

Ron,
Really nice video. How does Marhta like the -8? Did you get your engine stumble figured out? Stopped at M town to get fuel on the way home from OSH. The airport hasn't changed much since we left town.

Chris M

If you have a Mac, or know someone who does, Imovie will remove the shaking.

I am experimenting with shooting video and trying various camera mounts. This was shot with a Canon PowerShot SD1400 IS that was rigidly mounted. The problem I have been having is that this camera is affected by vibration. I have a lot more video that is not good enough to post due to the vibration.

http://vimeo.com/13795366

Does anybody have suggestions on eliminating the vibration? I have also been reading about the GoPro camera.

Ron:

Normally I prefer the sound of engines in videos. But this time, you did good, really good.

Paul

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

I will try some different mounting methods, and also check that image stabilization is turned off. I would like to solve the problem before I turn to software to fix the problem.

Chris, its good to hear from you, we looked for you at Oshkosh, to answer your questions: Martha likes the RV-8; it?s a lot faster than the 182. Actually the best solution to eliminate vibration is when Martha runs the camera; she enjoys all types of Rolls, but has not yet developed a fondness for Loops or Cuban 8s. As for the engine stumble question; after checking and eliminating every possible cause, I finally came to the conclusion that this engine (O-320-H2AD) does not like less that +0.6 g. I confirmed this with some other pilots that had experience with the same engine when it is in a 172. I simple fly every maneuver maintaining the required minimum g load. I guess I now have a calibrated butt.

One additional thought; it often occurs to me how fortunate we are who fly RV aircraft, to experience the pure joy aerobatic flight.

Ron

Wow.

The stops on your four point aileron roll are so crisp! - very, VERY nice.

What is that music called? I've heard it somewhere before....?

Back