What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N8RV flies!

Most airplane builders have commented that you're never really done building the plane. Something always needs tweaking.

While that's indeed true, I think I'm pretty close to done now. I have a few more minor changes to make, but overall I think Smokey's as done as he's gonna get for awhile.

I decided to paint the spinner black for aesthetic reasons. I hesitated because no VF-84 Tomcat ever had a black nose. Then someone astutely pointed out to me that no VF-84 Tomcat had a propeller, either. :D

Smokey2-1.jpg

Smokey5.jpg

Smokey6.jpg

What about that HUD?

I've looked over those cockpit pictures and I must admit, that I am drooling over the HUD. How did you make it or where did you buy it?

?

Well I guess it is going to be there in OSH, in July....... I am looking forward to seeing Dannys latest build. ....

Last edited:
Well I guess it is going to be there in July....... I am looking forward to seeing Dannys latest build. ....

Ouch. Dang it, Jay, that's gonna leave a bruise on my ego. ;)

Unfortunately, you're absolutely right. Were it not for Danny's help, it would still be collecting dust in my shop. He stepped in a few times over the years at opportune times to kick my butt in gear and help me over some speedbumps, that's for sure.

That Danny King -- he's a good egg. A little cracked, maybe ... :D

Don's build

It's true, I kicked Don in the butt when he needed it, but all the days I worked on Smokey wouldn't add up to a single month out of the thirteen years Smokey was a project.

Way to go Don.

3C1 -- Mishawaka Pilots' Club in northern Indiana. Pretty long flight for some cold pancakes, but we do have an annual Fathers' Day Fly-In. The sausage is pretty decent though. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Never really done ...

Might as well update my thread, now that my first condition inspection is right around the corner.

In keeping with my fighter theme, I've been working on some cockpit details to further my Walter Mitty insanity. With the simulated HUD installed, I realized that something was missing up there (on the glareshield, not between my ears). Although the outside is F-14, the cockpit is more F-16.

I did some looking around and found a pair of indexers -- little boxes that are mounted on either side of the HUD combiner. The left one is AOA and the right is for in-air refueling and nose wheel steering -- neither of which I have much use for. :D

Indexers2.jpg

Indexers1.jpg

For VAFers familiar with Vipers, you'll appreciate that I'm in the process of making an ICP that will fit over the Garmin GPS for static display, and my winter project will be an ACES II seat. Nonfunctional, naturally. :D

Don, I have just purchased a beautiful RV-8 built in Grants Pass by Jeff Tompkins. I am going through some of the same anxiety that you have written about with regard to my first flight in N9301T. I am going to need to get some training from a CFI for my tail wheel endorsement, and then a total of 20 hrs of dual in my RV before I can take it out solo - or with a passenger. It's turning out to be quite a challenge, as the -8 is not the best plane for use as a trainer. I am confident though, that I will get over those jitters like you did, and rediscover why I have always been a frustrated fighter pilot! :cool:

Your 13 year project, and your eloquence in writing about it, have been an inspiration to me! I am especially impressed with your HOTAS set up. Is that a Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS in the cockpit? How did you manage that?!

You can do it!

Don, I have just purchased a beautiful RV-8 built in Grants Pass by Jeff Tompkins. I am going through some of the same anxiety that you have written about with regard to my first flight in N9301T. I am going to need to get some training from a CFI for my tail wheel endorsement, and then a total of 20 hrs of dual in my RV before I can take it out solo - or with a passenger. It's turning out to be quite a challenge, as the -8 is not the best plane for use as a trainer. I am confident though, that I will get over those jitters like you did, and rediscover why I have always been a frustrated fighter pilot! :cool:

Your 13 year project, and your eloquence in writing about it, have been an inspiration to me! I am especially impressed with your HOTAS set up. Is that a Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS in the cockpit? How did you manage that?!

Randy, I hadn't flown in over 10 years and, after 4 hours in a C-140, was signed off to fly Smokey. As you evidently already read, it wasn't without fear and trepidation. However, I just ticked over 76 hours yesterday before the weather turned threatening again.

There was a scattered layer at about 3,000', and clear above. As I climbed above the cloud canyons, I spied another aircraft zipping along the cloud tops heading away from me.

I switched to guns and peeled off in a shallow dive. I could tell that I was overtaking the bogey, but really wasn't interested in getting trapped on top as the weather worsened. I switched to missles, let fly a Sidewinder and broke off the pursuit. Splash one. :D

After a couple of rolls, I headed back to the aerodrome. Enroute, however, I spied another bogey -- a BLIMP! So, I throttled back, began a gentle turn toward the blimp and set up on a parallel course about 1,000 feet away. I decided to allow the blimp to live to fight another day, and with a wing wave, pushed into 'burner and headed back to the airport.

I can honestly say that I haven't really scared myself or pranged the plane in those hours. I might have reached this level of relative comfort had I spent more time in RV-specific training, but I'll never know. I'm just cheap enough -- and/or stupid enough -- to learn the basics and go with them.

BTW, I completed my multi-function display (MFD) overlays over the weekend. All that leaves is the ICP to mount over the 396 and the ACES II ...

N8RV_Panel_1.jpg

Regarding the stick grip and throttle, they're F-16 stock. I know that many simpit guys use the Cougar setup, but these are real -- and feel real good in my hands, BTW. :D

Get the training you need to be comfortable and enjoy your new plane! But watch your six ... I'm out there ... :D

I added a little modification for static display only -- an integrated control panel (ICP). Here's an ICP in an F-16 ...

F-16.jpg

... and in Smokey ...

Smokey037.jpg

[sorry for the crummy picture -- only had my phone with me]

Sorry to ask the obvious question...

...but how does one come by a surplus HUD and HOTAS from a -16? :)

Will the real Smokey...

Hi Don,

Enjoyed the photos, having seen that UFC (up front control) a couple of times in it's original mounting configuration, it' still inspires a grin. The Viper is 70's technology But I haven't seen an EFIS yet that I like better than the good old HUD, especially at night or on NVG's.

Back in November of 1989 I actually had an adventure earning me the moniker you placed on your RV8. Thanks. :)

Smokey
HR2

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Hi Don,

Enjoyed the photos, having seen that UFC (up front control) a couple of times in it's original mounting configuration, it' still inspires a grin. The Viper is 70's technology But I haven't seen an EFIS yet that I like better than the good old HUD, especially at night or on NVG's.

Back in November of 1989 I actually had an adventure earning me the moniker you placed on your RV8. Thanks. :)

Smokey
HR2

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OK, I gotta know ... WHAT HAPPENED??

If you don't want to post the story, at least PM me (but I'd bet everyone here would love to hear what happened to that Viper!)

There I was...

Don,

OK, here's the short version:
Phillipines, 1989. Large force employment (30 jets, 12 F-15's, 12 F-16's, 2 RF-4's, 2 MC-130's, 1 AWACS, 1 tanker) vs Nimitz battle group with Hornets, F-14's, etc. My mission callsign that day was Fang Two.
The plan was a simulated attack utilizing a "High Pop" (60 degree climb from 500' AGL to a pull down at 11.5 for a 45 degree dive bomb delivery). Pop-up required full afterburner to complete. Low-level ingress at 480 Knots, IP-target 540 Knots. All went well until I lit the afterburner during the pop. Ka-Boom! Instant Christmas lights at the White House lawn in the cockpit. At the same moment someone on the ground was yelling on the guard frequency "Fang Two, You smokey". For a millisecond I thought to myself: Some dudes on fire, Wait, that's me:)
With my flight lead "Brutus" rejoining on me, I had great SA (situational awareness) on the damage and to confirm my wheels made it down. Thankfully I also had a 9000' runway nearby and amazingly after fumbling through the Engine/Failure/Fire/Flameout landing procedures correctly and with the good Lords assistance I somehow fenagled a successful flame-out landing with 1 hydraulic system and the rudder and speedbrakes gone.
Ironically, I parked less than 50 feet from my intended target! Of course after getting back home to Japan, the naming committee had my new handle firmly set in stone. You smokey!

Hopefully that wasn't too long...
RR aka...well you know!

Epiloge: Our F-16's were the latest version at that time, the Block 30 with GE F110 engine. The engine had an anomaly (no kidding:) that caused the afterburner to burn through the engine shroud (and the rest of the fuselage, rudder and tail). The fleet was grounded for 2 weeks as a result but thanks to having my engine to study, they fixed the problem. The aircraft 557 is still flying with the Atlantic City NJANG.

Last edited:
Oshkosh '12

Marthajane King, Danny's wife and co-builder of the Beautiful Doll, took some in-flight pics of Smokey as we flew to Oshkosh this year. I thought I'd share a few with you. Thanks a bunch, Marthajane!

P1020915.jpg

P1020920.jpg

P1020926.jpg

P1020943a.jpg

P1020949.jpg

Congradulations

That's awesome. Your story reminded me of me a couple of months ago. I'm still beside myself when I fly it and see it fly. Again congratulations.

Back