What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

future avionics???

cbrown747

I am looking to build an rv within the next year and have tried to google many links for what is coming in the future (2-3 yrs). Does anybody know of any links on this subject?

HUD!

...my big request is for a HUD that duplicates data from an existing EFIS/GPS above the dash on a small piece of see through material. With a flight path indicator.

29 page study re: HUDs by the Flight Safety Foundation: http://flightsafety.org/files/hgs_nov09.pdf

Something like...
SVS_Cockpit_Gulfstream_GV.jpg

or this:
51sq9t.jpg

And I'm serious about this HUD! All this info is down on the panel already...why can't it be duplicated twelve inches higher where I'm looking for traffic?

Last edited:
I am looking to build an rv within the next year and have tried to google many links for what is coming in the future (2-3 yrs). Does anybody know of any links on this subject?

Charles,

Three years ago even those of us who have been in the RV community for years could not have predicted the avionics specifics and/or price points currently coming on the market.

I see no reason why we should expect to be able to see any better into the next three years. ;)

Get started on your project and rest assured your avionics choices will be exciting! You want your avionics to be the last purchase in the work flow of your project.

Last edited:
Thought Control Interface

As in "Firefox". "Think good landing, make good landing".

Seriously though, I doubt there will be any really new things in the next few years other than ADS-B vendors. Maybe some improvements or upgrades to existing equipment.

I'd personally like to see a Garmin competitor...

"Seriously though, I doubt there will be any really new things in the next few years other than ADS-B vendors."

I can guarantee that wont be true. The coms, the audio panels, the moving map graphics, the synthetic vision, the integration of all systems...It will grow in leaps and bounds. Look at aveo engineerings web site for HUD and other cool stuff. Light, high tech really cools stuff will be coming as fast as it can be dreamed up. What a fun time to be building. Imagine a red dot on the canopy showing you location of traffic.

Dont pull the trigger until your done all the slow stuff.

...my big request is for a HUD that duplicates data from an existing EFIS/GPS above the dash on a small piece of see through material. With velocity vector.

Something like...
51sq9t.jpg

And I'm serious about this HUD! All this info is down on the panel already...why can't it be duplicated twelve inches higher where I'm looking for traffic?

Yes!! I keep wondering how hard can it be to drive a 2nd screen off of a modern efis. Am I missing something?

Yes!! I keep wondering how hard can it be to drive a 2nd screen off of a modern efis. Am I missing something?

It's not about driving the screen or creating the content on the screen. That's not difficult to do (do well - now, that's a different issue).

The big challenge continues to be collimating the display so that the image is focused at infinity - where your eyes are focused, looking for that traffic.

This is all about optics.

The last thing you want is to be doing is changing your focus out and back repeatedly. Yes, you do that already with a normal panel - outside, up and away, inside down and near - but as I understand it, a non collimated display can mess seriously with your head and eyes - and who needs a headache when flying?

Having said that, there are some very clever people on this board, who I figure all have different pieces of the puzzle, either through their profession or through their passion (or both, if they are lucky).

Now, if only we could find some way of getting these people all together and start comparing notes.... :)

edit: interestingly enough, one of the better basic overviews online is a home sim site:

http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/head_up_displays.htm

Also for reference:

http://tinyurl.com/288n4ky

http://www.rockwellcollins.com/prod...isplays/system-overview/hud-basics/index.html

Last edited:
...my big request is for a HUD that duplicates data from an existing EFIS/GPS above the dash on a small piece of see through material. With velocity vector.

Something like...
51sq9t.jpg

Yes, I'd like to see M0.55 @ FL200 on my RV as well :D

There was a vendor at SnF that was painting a heads up image on the back of the rotating prop. They said it worked at night but they were still in development on a light gun powerful enough to provide daytime illumination.

I thought it was kinda' cool. They had to find the prop via optical "radar" feedback and continue to track it real time with the light beam.

Of course, throttle back to low RPM on an approach and loose the HUD??? Hmmm, maybe not. :eek:

VirtualHUD

...my big request is for a HUD that duplicates data from an existing EFIS/GPS above the dash on a small piece of see through material. With a flight path indicator.
<snip>

Sounds like you need VirtualHUD. It projects a minimal EFIS, a duplicate of a panel EFIS, or any other video onto the back of the prop. Our chapter had a presentation from the inventor. Very cool technology.

reliable internet connection inflight ?

Could reliable internet connection be the next big thing for avionics? Everyone is gaga over the IPAD with the way it operates and it's capabilities checking weather, filing flight plans, display current charts and approach plates with geo synchronization. Could future avionics have a MFD that functions like the IPAD does now? IF it had a dedicated (reliable) internet connection service similar to XM weather. With all of the apps available for IPAD the weather and charts fees would go away but the monthly fee for internet access would take the place of the weather providers, Is this even possible?

George Jetson

HUD seen it!

My friend and former colleague started a company called Flight Visions and produced a compact HUD that they sold for corporate iron. They had their test version mounted in a gruman tiger (about the size of an RV). They had a fair deal of success because they were far under the big guys in price. Around 2002 CMC a Canadian firm bought the company. As Shockwave said, it was all in the optics. It was based on a Motorola 68K processor.

Paul
N694BP reserved

thanks for all the replies

Interesting ideas....I was actually looking for any links to sites that might be showing what is coming to market in about 3 years. In other words sometimes companies give you a sneak peak on what they are working on to be available later to keep your interest in their products. I have already looked at garmin's website as well as trying to google anything on the topic, but did not get much luck

I would not count on the company’s advertising what they are coming out with too much. It would kill the market for all the product they are currently trying to sell, Especially when you consider how prices keep going down.

Just think of Apple, you know they are coming out with a new product, and it is going to be awesome, but they will only "officially" announce it the week before pre-orders.

HUDs

Google 'tranparent OLED displays' and you may get some interesting insights into the Heads up displays of the future. Samsung has a transparent screen on a laptop.

cheers
Ron
VH-XRM
flying in Oz

Strange

The same people that say they want the tip up sail in the wind operationally accident prone tip up canopy because of the "unobstructed view" are the same ones that are lusting for HUD. Things are pretty much steady state in RV cruise mode. Warning displays or signals in the line of sight would probably add to operational safety but no way would I want displays in my field of view full time. When we made the HUD for the F-15 at Conductron/McDonnell Douglas Electronics Company in St. Charles, Missouri I thought it was a good thing but not in an RV...

During Dan Goldin's time as NASA Administrator there was a program to advance GA technology which deteriorated into an instrument panel program after the propulsion system effort petered out. Maybe some of the NASA guys from Virginia that visit this site can provide some clues if they are not bound by contract to keep the information confidential. Some searches of the aero side of NASA's web site via www.nasa.gov could be informative. Private industry is not going to be very open with their future developments.

Bob Axsom

Back