What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Screws That You Can Reuse

David Paule

Well Known Member
People sometimes mention that the screw they are using wore out, usually at the Phillips socket. Here are a couple of stronger screws. The ones that come with the kit are no stronger than 125 ksi; these are 160 ksi. This is strong enough to maintain shape, and I routinely reuse them. The prices are at Aircraft Spruce.

Pan head:
NAS602-8P
$0.15 each
8-32 .531" long

Flat head:
NAS517-2-2
$0.18 each
8-32 .531" long

You can get other lengths and other diameters of each. On my RV-3B project, a number of applications can use shorter screws. That reduces wear on the screw and the nutplate while saving weight.

Dave

Another trick is to use. JIS tipped screwdrivers and bits. Fit AN screws like a glove
Heard about them on this website.

Flew Cub today. Perfect weather at KCVH.
Hoping to get first start of engine in my 3B this week

Generally our AN bolts are adequate and the heads are sufficiently tough. If you want a hex-head screw, they are out there but I don't know the part numbers offhand.

Dave

NAS1801 & NAS1802

Listed as:

Screw, Hex Head, Cruciform Recess, Full Thread, 160,000 PSI Tensile Minimum Alloy Steel and A286 Corrosion Resistant Steel.

HFS

Do they have them with a hex head?

Do you mean hex head (socket drive), or hex drive (ie. allan key)?

FWIW, I tried using hex drive keys for my baggage panel, and almost had to drill one out. Due to the geometry of the pan head, the hex key had to be 2.5mm, which is quite small. When one of the screws was stiff in the hole (I didn't use boelube), the head stripped out. Unlike a phillips, the bit stayed in the hole rather than skittering off across the skin, but like a phillips, I couldn't remove it without an easy-out.

My next attempt at replacing the phillips screws will be with torx heads.

Been using the Phillips screws with very little issue. Yes they can be reused and can cam out. Most of the cam out issue is from BAD screwdrivers. IF you only use an ACR bit (ACR has ridges that holds the screw in place) one does not have the issues caused by the Sears or Craftsman phillips screw destroying screwdrivers.

We have EXPERIMENTAL aircraft but when one uses Aircraft Tools, there are less issues and problems that are common with automobiles.

Been using the Phillips screws with very little issue. Yes they can be reused and can cam out. Most of the cam out issue is from BAD screwdrivers. IF you only use an ACR bit (ACR has ridges that holds the screw in place) one does not have the issues caused by the Sears or Craftsman phillips screw destroying screwdrivers.

We have EXPERIMENTAL aircraft but when one uses Aircraft Tools, there are less issues and problems that are common with automobiles.

This concept of specialized Phillips screws and bits was new to me but I have learned that there are AN-type fasteners and I've got an inquiry into Van's about getting a few pocketfuls of replacements for exactly this need.

But the idea of an aircraft-tool-specific screwdriver and screwdriver-bit type is completely new to me and I need to hunt down a 101-level read on this.

Lookup Wera screwdrivers and bits. Best around and not expensive. Brown tools had the Wera bits. The handled drivers are available in lots of places. It isn’t about having aircraft tools as such. It’s the joy of having the right tool for the job. Cheap screwdrivers don’t fit the slots right. Good ones do that and have anti slip features too.

I use these anywhere that pushing on a Philips bit would be a pita. Such as the seat pans (especially the edges) and all the baggage bulkheads on a side by side. Various other places but mostly inside the cabin. They make an electric screwdriver (with a socket) pleasant to use while doing the annual inspection contortions.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/nas1801.php

Last edited:
Lookup Wera screwdrivers and bits. Best around and not expensive. Brown tools had the Wera bits. The handled drivers are available in lots of places. It isn’t about having aircraft tools as such. It’s the joy of having the right tool for the job. Cheap screwdrivers don’t fit the slots right. Good ones do that and have anti slip features too.

They seem to have a bunch of different sets/styles. Any recommendations?

Do you mean hex head (socket drive), or hex drive (ie. allan key)?

FWIW, I tried using hex drive keys for my baggage panel, and almost had to drill one out. Due to the geometry of the pan head, the hex key had to be 2.5mm, which is quite small. When one of the screws was stiff in the hole (I didn't use boelube), the head stripped out. Unlike a phillips, the bit stayed in the hole rather than skittering off across the skin, but like a phillips, I couldn't remove it without an easy-out.

My next attempt at replacing the phillips screws will be with torx heads.

I was thinking allen wrench. But I don't like going below 4mm.

There's also this style (socket cap) which has a bigger drive compared to the thread size:

517r3%2BGNa3L.jpg

They seem to have a bunch of different sets/styles. Any recommendations?

Here are the wera bits I purchased: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8QP77W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I would highly recommend a JIS screwdriver like this, works even better than the wera bits: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TG8OTY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If anyone has a source for reasonably priced JIS bits that fit a standard 1/4" drive please let me know.

Here are the wera bits I purchased: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8QP77W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I would highly recommend a JIS screwdriver like this, works even better than the wera bits: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TG8OTY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If anyone has a source for reasonably priced JIS bits that fit a standard 1/4" drive please let me know.

I have the Vessel one at the Amazon link above and have been quite pleased with it. :)

Peter

Hope you are right

Just bought the Vessel JIS screwdriver and the 1/4" drive bits based on this thread..bloody expensive :eek: but if it makes it easier to remove all the Phillip's head screws for the condition inspection on the -7 without replacing them it will be worth it :D

You cannot have too many tools ;)

as others have said..........i tried #6 panhead hex allen for my panel. such a small amount of metal removed from the allen key or screwhead takes it from perfect fit to totally wornout. they work great until they don't and then you are sweating getting the screw out. memastercarr carries torx head and they worked fine.
wera phillips bits are good but JIS seems to have the best fit.

Back