What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EchoUAT with SkyFYX - Internal vs External antenna?

Tram

Well Known Member
Anyone want to discuss which way they went and why between these two antenna options?

I'm looking primarily at a fabric aircraft install for this one, so I'm thinking the internal choice would work, but the EXT antenna is $50 cheaper and seeing guys install them under fiberglass cowls, should work beautifully.

Any opinions?

Used Garmin 56 on aft fuselage for my Skyfx but

installed one in RV-4 recently and just went with provided antenna under the canopy just aft of back seat --- both work beautifully --- buddy of mine used the SKYFX-EX on his -7A, mounted on aft fuselage -- works great.

Ron

I have installed 2 EchoUATs and used the EXT all in one GPS kit for each. The GPSs went under the cowling in both cases. The EXT only required two small wires to pass through the firewall instead of a coax like the non-EXT. They work great.

Basically I went with the EXT kit because it is simpler and cleaner than the separate GPS/antenna non-EXT kit. The Non-EXT takes more mounting, has more connectors (points of failure) and I understand it uses a MCX Female coax connector that can be a pain and is easily disconnected and can require multiple cox adapters. The EXT kit bypasses most of this.

I have installed 2 EchoUATs and used the EXT all in one GPS kit for each. The GPSs went under the cowling in both cases. The EXT only required two small wires to pass through the firewall instead of a coax like the non-EXT. They work great.

Basically I went with the EXT kit because it is simpler and cleaner than the separate GPS/antenna non-EXT kit. The Non-EXT takes more mounting, has more connectors (points of failure) and I understand it uses a MCX Female coax connector that can be a pain and is easily disconnected and can require multiple cox adapters. The EXT kit bypasses most of this.

How are the EXT antennas holding up in the cowl? I think that?s where we will mount ours.

Just trying to sort out the EchoUAT antenna location now.

How are the EXT antennas holding up in the cowl? I think that’s where we will mount ours.

Just trying to sort out the EchoUAT antenna location now.

They seem to be working great under the cowl. One was on the typical GPS shelf on the firewall in an RV-3. Two are on plates attached to engine mount tubes with adel clamps (RV-6A and RV-7A). The SkyFX-EXT doesn't need a ground plane. Just like a portable's GPS puck. If you look under the foam gasket on the base the white dome shell is plastic and there is a GPS potted in the center with resin. In lieu of a firewall shelf, the RV-6A had a plate mounted directly on an engine mount tube. On the RV-7A it was mounted to engine mount tubes in lieu of a firewall shelf. This position keeps the space needed to access mags, oil filter and firewall-mounted battery clear for easy maintenance while giving the GPS great coverage of the satellites. It is a very solid mounting, although the standoff bushings could be shorter if desired. The aluminum mounting plate firms up the structure and provides protection from latent heat after flight. Time will tell. This photo was taken during install and prior to routing and covering the lead wires with protective nylon sleeve.

4Ut0uax.jpg

Last edited:
Based on your photo, which is quite helpful BTW, I assume the directional orientation of the antenna is irrelevant?

Heat build-up is not an issue either?

George

Wing Tip

I put my SkyFYX-EXT puck in the wing tip, per recommendation from uAvionics technical advisor. No high temps. No skin penetrations. No added equipment in the cockpit. Mounted the Echo on an underwing inspection panel (again per recommendation from tech advisor). Easy access, and mounting for antenna. Wiring runs from wing tip, intercepts Echo, and continues into the panel for power. Working great.

Wayne
RV-9a
Purchased flying.

Direction of orientation is unimportant for any GPS-only antenna with respect to GPS performance. The top mount teardrop shaped antennas are profiled for minimum aerodynamic drag, but would perform just fine sideways albeit with more drag. If a GPS antenna were combined as an all-in one with other sensors (like an AHRS) then orientation would matter in most cases.

My sky view ext was mounted very much like the Jliltd photo above, very close to a Garmin ant that serves my Nav GPS (GNC 300xl). I had some trouble getting my Echo to work and in the process I increases the ground plane and separation from the other antenna.

I think this was a waste of time. I suspect it worked just fine on a small ground plane adjacent to the other antenna.

Here is that same RV-7A from 5 posts up after cowling it. Easy to see the SkyFX-EXT gps receiver through the oil door.

Ts32hz9.jpg

Wing access panel?

So am I understanding that some have mounted the echo UAT black box on the inside of an under wing access panel? As in the box mounted to the inside of the panel with the stubby antenna mounted through the panel? I know the GPS puck itself can be mounted anywhere it can see the sky. The black box and stubby antenna are what Im asking about. In my old age I'm easily confused, so wanted to clarify before I start drilling holes where I shouldn't!:eek:

Last edited:
Dan,
I think what everyone is saying you can mount the GPS antenna anywhere there is fiberglass and not metal above the antenna, it would be best if it pointed up toward the satellites.

They seem to be working great under the cowl. One was on the typical GPS shelf on the firewall in an RV-3. Two are on plates attached to engine mount tubes with adel clamps (RV-6A and RV-7A). The SkyFX-EXT doesn't need a ground plane. Just like a portable's GPS puck. If you look under the foam gasket on the base the white dome shell is plastic and there is a GPS potted in the center with resin. In lieu of a firewall shelf, the RV-6A had a plate mounted directly on an engine mount tube. On the RV-7A it was mounted to engine mount tubes in lieu of a firewall shelf. This position keeps the space needed to access mags, oil filter and firewall-mounted battery clear for easy maintenance while giving the GPS great coverage of the satellites. It is a very solid mounting, although the standoff bushings could be shorter if desired. The aluminum mounting plate firms up the structure and provides protection from latent heat after flight. Time will tell. This photo was taken during install and prior to routing and covering the lead wires with protective nylon sleeve.

4Ut0uax.jpg

That oil filler extension tube is missing the safety wire. Do you know how I caught that? Because I got dinged for it too on my condition inspection last weekend :)

Sun&Fun2020 - EchoUAT Price

Folks,
Should we expect a price drop (or any discount) for ADSB Out like the uAvionix EchoUAT during Sun&Fun 2020?
I saw Spruce is selling for $1399 (UAVIONIX BUNDLE ECHOUAT WITH SKYFYX-EXT ALL-IN-ONE RECEIVER).
Wondering if I should wait or go ahead and order this.
By the way, the picture of the antenna attached on the engine mount was great for me to define a place on mine :D .
Thank you!

Folks,
Should we expect a price drop (or any discount) for ADSB Out like the uAvionix EchoUAT during Sun&Fun 2020?
I saw Spruce is selling for $1399 (UAVIONIX BUNDLE ECHOUAT WITH SKYFYX-EXT ALL-IN-ONE RECEIVER).
Wondering if I should wait or go ahead and order this.
By the way, the picture of the antenna attached on the engine mount was great for me to define a place on mine :D .
Thank you!

That?s been the Aircraft Spruce price for as long as I?ve been watching it. I?ve been looking for a price break for over a year and still nothing.

My EXT bundle came with a short antenna. I assumed it must be installed? Am I reading some of these posts wrong? Don?t need it?

My EXT bundle came with a short antenna. I assumed it must be installed? Am I reading some of these posts wrong? Don?t need it?

Can you post a picture?
Are you saying that other than the GPS antenna, you have an extra antenna? (would that possibly the UAT antenna? like regular transponder antenna :confused:)

That?s the ADS-B OUT antenna. Remember it reads the transponder output from the transponder?s antenna and then has to transmit the ADS-B signal through that little antenna.

So am I understanding that some have mounted the echo UAT black box on the inside of an under wing access panel? As in the box mounted to the inside of the panel with the stubby antenna mounted through the panel? I know the GPS puck itself can be mounted anywhere it can see the sky. The black box and stubby antenna are what Im asking about. In my old age I'm easily confused, so wanted to clarify before I start drilling holes where I shouldn't!:eek:

Dave,

Yes, that is how I have mine mounted. The box is attached to the inside of the wing access panel and the UAT (pole) antenna is mounted through the panel. I have the GPS puck mounted on a shelf in the wingtip. Just make sure to secure everything so the wires etc can't mix with the controls. This arrangement required a 90 degree BNC adapter to the pole antenna.

That?s the ADS-B OUT antenna. Remember it reads the transponder output from the transponder?s antenna and then has to transmit the ADS-B signal through that little antenna.

Close....there is a micro voltage in your aircraft wiring of the outbound transponder data (squawk and pressure altitude)that the echo picks up by ?sniffing?( since UAT is wired in) . This is the reason for the ability to adjust the threshold on the UAT. As always, gps puck is placed in open to view above, the transponder looking antenna in the package , as with most other like antenna, place on bottom/little ball thingy pointing down. Not saying it would not work in upward position in wing. The signals go to ground stations. I believe most installations will be this way.

Picture of your safety wire?

That oil filler extension tube is missing the safety wire. Do you know how I caught that? Because I got dinged for it too on my condition inspection last weekend :)

Pilot135pd can you please post a picture of how you safety wire that part? :confused:
I looked on mine and I don't have safety wire on the upper part either, but I only see the point to have safety wire pass thru on the top part (short), not on the long one. Did you had to drill a point in there?
Ideas are always welcome. - Thank you.

Dave,

Yes, that is how I have mine mounted. The box is attached to the inside of the wing access panel and the UAT (pole) antenna is mounted through the panel. I have the GPS puck mounted on a shelf in the wingtip. Just make sure to secure everything so the wires etc can't mix with the controls. This arrangement required a 90 degree BNC adapter to the pole antenna.

Are your connections easy enough to manage when you have to remove that inspection panel say for a CI? This seems like the easiest way for me to mount it up in my 8..

That RV-7A belongs to a friend but I will let him know. He bought it out of a famous builder's shop in Ohio about 18 months ago and apparently it's been that way.

To be more correct the dipstick tube extension (and base tube bottom) should be safety wired for both directions. Tightening and loosening. That keeps the gaskets from working loose when an over-zealous pilot cranks the dipstick in real tight, which is a bad idea. Or when he subsequently tries to remove the dipstick and it's super tight after temperature cycling. The dipstick should only screw in about 1/4 turn after making contact. It does not have to be tight. I saw some good advice here on VAF to only tighten the dipstick with the knuckles of the index and middle finger and not use the fingers themselves. Effectively a bio-metric torque limiter. My preference is are REAL brand dipstick tube gasket at the base of both the bottom and top tubes with the aforementioned dual direction safety tying. I usually use safety wire for the top one and safety cable for the base which can be hard to get to after the engine is installed.

Last edited:
Pilot135pd can you please post a picture of how you safety wire that part? :confused:
I looked on mine and I don't have safety wire on the upper part either, but I only see the point to have safety wire pass thru on the top part (short), not on the long one. Did you had to drill a point in there?
Ideas are always welcome. - Thank you.

So sorry for the delay, I've been swamped and frustrated with other things on my plane and forgot about this.

Curious..

uAvionix sells the MUX cable for GTX327 support, but I've seen people say the cable isn't necessary. What's the pros/cons of hardwiring the transponder vs sniffing? Just trying to figure out the clear path of upgrade here..

Are your connections easy enough to manage when you have to remove that inspection panel say for a CI? This seems like the easiest way for me to mount it up in my 8..

The Echo box has a connector for the harness. For inspection, I just let it dangle. If you need to remove the inspection panel, you can just unplug the one connector. Since the antenna is mounted to the inspection panel as well, the antenna cable can remain connected.

Back