What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High EGT on #1

gator

Can a bad plug wire cause a high EGT
I’m also hearing a clicking sound in my headset when starting

Yes. Watch your egt next time you do a mag check. On just one set of plugs egt will go up (takes longer to burn all the fuel).

Generally, when one plug stops firing, that cylinders EGT will go up around 100* over normal at high power levels. Several ignition failure modes can also cause various noises, including clicking. An inflight mag check will tell you which of the two sparkplug circuits is bad on that cylinder. On one mag, it will be 100 over normal and on the other mag, the EGT will drop like a stone and engine will be very rough (complete ignition failure). If it is only firing intermittently, the EGT will be low and roughness will be less pronounced.

Could be the plug, the wire or problems with the cap/rotor inside the mag. Wires can be checked my measuring resistance from end to end and comparing to spec. Check plug for lead fouling and check resistance of center conductor (1000 ohms is optimal)

Larry

Last edited:
Back