What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One inch belt sander

mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

I was reading through the builders manual on tools. They say a one inch belt sander is really useful. I built my RV8 without and am scratching my head on what it is good for. I have a six inch belt sander that saw a fair amount of use. Is the one inch sander specified because of price?

No

I used the 1" sander for fabricating parts, amongst other tasks. It is a scalpel where the 6" sander is a chainsaw...

I think a lot of us use the combination disk and 1" sander like Delta makes as it's versatile and relatively inexpensive. I get the most use out of the disk but sometimes find the belt handy when getting in tight spaces or small fussy parts.

I think a lot of us use the combination disk and 1" sander like Delta makes as it's versatile and relatively inexpensive. I get the most use out of the disk but sometimes find the belt handy when getting in tight spaces or small fussy parts.

And I'm the opposite. I use the 1" belt almost continuously and seldom use the disk.

The small belt was great for a quick debur of small parts. A touch on the belt, then a touch on the scotchbrite wheel and done. Also used the belt to square up all those tiny spacers we need to make from tubing (I don't have a lathe).

One of my favorite tools

I have an electric 1/2” hand tool. I find done many uses for it. It has been wonderful when trimming my canopy and cowl. This is my second build and didn’t have it the first time. Now I consider it indispensable.

First off the 1" belt sander is a cheap tool and very useful. I bought an 8" disc sander at the same time and I use it a lot less. The 1" belt sander is a wimpy sander and that is exactly what is required for most of the sanding of the relatively soft aluminum. I use it for sanding angle pieces to final length and for radiusing corners. The 8" disc is just too powerful of a machine for most of what we need to do. Yes you can use finer grit paper and I have, but still I find it less useful than the 1" belt sander. Now if you need to sand 1/4" stock then maybe it is better, but there is very little of that type of material used. At one point HF had the 1" sanders for about $30 but maybe they are closer to $50 now. I'm not sure but they are worth it. I even drilled the table of mine to add a piece of bar stock to act as a fence for squaring angle. Now that I'm a veteran I actually rarely use that. I just eyeball it and check it with a square but still if you want to be super accurate that can be a good addition.

My three cents worth

I have a 2" vertical belt with a disc I never use in both my shop and my hangar and use them on anything I need sanded.
I have a 4" vertical/horizontal with a disc and almost never use it.
These tools are mandatory as far as I'm concerned. They are real handy. I wouldn't buy a 1" cause for me it's to narrow.. But ,maybe a 1" is enough.
Art

Definitely useful for me since I didn't have anything like it, but if you already have something that can do similar work it might not be worth the space. I got the 1" belt/5" disc combo and have used it a fair bit so far on my tail kit. Coarse disc with medium belt, shapes parts fast, then fine tunes them not too fast. I like it.

I actually have 2 1" belt sanders side by side. I keep 80 grit on one for shaping and 120 grit on the other for finishing edges.

The only maintenance I have to do is replace the upper bearing on each one every 3-4 years. Did I mention I use them often?

One inch belt

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies. Make great sense. The harbor freight goes for $53. Jet makes a nice one for $479. Don't think I will be spending that much. I think I was using a scotchbrite wheel for much of what you guys were using the 1" sander for. Sander makes way better sense.

Is the Harbor Freight model adequate?

Michael Wynn

Back