What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your RV-10 Panel

Panel lay-out

This is how a single pilot IFR/VFR panel should be laid out with the two screens in front of the pilot. It is a bad mistake IMO to place one screen on the RH side and only one screen in front of the pilot in a two screen lay-out.

I felt when I built my panel (below) that the Dynon D-100 on the right would be a good stand by EFIS should the two main screen go dark. The day this unthinkable problem happen to me I found that the screen on the far right VERY difficult to read.

As a result of this I put in the Garmin G5 just the the left of the PFD. In this location it is easy to read plus it has in own back up battery.

RV-10%20Cockpit-XL.jpg

Looks great, only downside may be working in the tunnel will become 'challenging' with the center stack.

Looks great, only downside may be working in the tunnel will become 'challenging' with the center stack.

I shouldn?t have to work in the tunnel. I put the inspection panel on the side for inspection, but I?m putting filters in wing root. I dont want to be spilling fuel in the cabin during conditional inspections.

Panel is Built!

Just got this pic from Aerotronics today of my completed panel ready to be shipped! Can't wait to see it in the plane.

Can't say enough good about Andre Todd and others at Aerotronics. They have been so good to work with so far (and see no reason for that to change). Very responsive and helpful as we designed, changed and finalized everything.

e8oFcjbLIQmRVospPSV9UU9nNUvJSes-qYLNUlUoCWEnkTjdWvbVMp52ci6gI_92tLlK6E5pH9T2ypEv9kcPpqgUjLsaEqZhAUH3I-LIC_FDFSrVonPfR8pCOZdYGhZ71IYe4IR_Ya7aqgndglwfc2qA91Z9gjnDhbEe-5zq22Xlg7TnImZMgqYwhae2F7uZdOd2n1XzY1aD5gJpicAlz5hDNqgOWsNpb2seaZ5058Bxx3Eo1vn7UYtvdACwXIAS43qlSER0euWkBg3cMy7qgByc4_-T8QqW1SUhHdj4L4g02Av4zBM-FZWnDrnzJtbsnhJ5Tdf4kNFNt4o-CqzUjIKyeAxM0ut_IRTJXWvDsGDYwd5i5k_Ut_GqZTcrSHi1kdVe7pogxwEIBX6fhyqRif-xHzYeVdRLUk793ag0POcc_X9F5E9F4PULRjyNnqpR07BpNcLuk_C0_2tS0MMqF7frg0gte03bYdzlCwFvBUIpxe_l66azZ-ECbo01QjXGu8ai9VCKIn1GWB8vWNgiSFam12GVUIJt9WYmxOD-6NaH7WoaJblHlobydxTpTTdljmqwwLTj3PS06kzmEgT-8I8zPZToVOn2qkEj0BofHmMSsTeRHLTaDnlGPAk2Jcx_mGEQ2rMipFdnWaDKnCFOJF5OcID_cgxPWmtPK52ueyszUlFiv2weeuCJ5mZSzP9jOKmYzlEXHSFg7pGvlJVOb6_DeEM1ycTbTezitrrt1W-XQ-CJK2Pm0ns=w1181-h766-no

If panel is installed properly and you add the access panels on the side of the tunnel it is not a problem at all. It takes me less then 10 minutes to remove lower center console. I feel the the access panels should be installed on all RV-10s. It makes tunnel access much easier for maintenance and condition inspections.

Just finished!

Just got this photo from SteinAir. Looking forward to installing the panel very soon.

IMG-4373.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Thank you!

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. The insert color was chosen to coordinate with the interior colors. The Aerosport carbon fiber panel clear coated very nicely.

The folks at Stein were incredibly patient with our multiple changes and very knowledgeable. We were fortunate that the Garmin GTN750Xi was announced just as we were finalizing the design.

There was a lot of lost sleep about the electrical system architecture given the desire for redundant and independent power sources for the dual channel SDS EFII - this drove the switch layout for the panel. Ultimately, I think we achieved our goal. And yes, we have CB's for the hot battery busses plus one main bus and VPX for the other.

Krea,

I'd love to see your switch layout a little closer if you're willing and able to share.
I'm working through some of these details on mine.

I just updated to the new Aerosport switches with graphics in my RV-10. Photo taken last night about 50 miles east of Van's during a software test flight.

32890246848_6a0d0dedfa_b.jpg

46765967481_87cba13a25_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

This is the panel I am going to show my wife when I make the pitch for the trimmings and panel.

Gorgeous Sir.....

Aerotronics Cut Panel - My layout and wiring

Here's a photo of my Garmin equipped RV-10 panel. I realized in looking at today's posts of RV-14 panels that I still hadn't posted a pic of mine.

I worked with Jason and Aerotronics on the layout and then had them cut the panel. They also supplied most of the hardware for the panel (switches, Garmin avionics, breakers, etc.). Jason and his team were very easy to work with and very responsive. I highly recommend them.

I created the wiring diagrams and then built the harnesses and wired the panel. So far I have been very happy, but am still on a learning curve with all the G3X and GTN capabilities.

Attachments

• Panel from Center.jpg
    Panel from Center.jpg
    612.5 KB · Views: 955
Here's a photo of my Garmin equipped RV-10 panel. I realized in looking at today's posts of RV-14 panels that I still hadn't posted a pic of mine.

I worked with Jason and Aerotronics on the layout and then had them cut the panel. They also supplied most of the hardware for the panel (switches, Garmin avionics, breakers, etc.). Jason and his team were very easy to work with and very responsive. I highly recommend them.

I created the wiring diagrams and then built the harnesses and wired the panel. So far I have been very happy, but am still on a learning curve with all the G3X and GTN capabilities.

Very nice!
What are the things to the left and right of the 650? Hard to tell, but almost look like some sort of slide dimmer??

This my new -10 panel built and installed by Avionics Systems. David Buckwalter and his team worked with me to do another beautiful panel (they also did my -9 panel a few years ago. With the latest and greatest from Garmin, finished in double stitched leather and carbon fiber, it is just what I was looking for, really happy with it. I expect to be finish building and first flight by late this fall.

Attachments

• 2210A.jpg
    2210A.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 1,565
Last edited:
This my new -10 panel built and installed by Avionics Systems. David Buckwalter and his team worked with me to do another beautiful panel (they also did my -9 panel a few years ago. With the latest and greatest from Garmin, finished in double stitched leather and carbon fiber, it is just what I was looking for, really happy with it. I expect to be finish building and first flight by late this fall.

Stunning. Very nicely done.

Queenliner

Stock Van's panel with South Florida center console. Wanted the GMC 507 centered on the upper panel so built an eyebrow panel to contain it. Did all the wiring myself....1 wire at a time. Grouped switches by system/function away from in front of the stick.

Attachments

• 4ABB181E-FDAC-4A10-996C-19767599B938.jpeg
    4ABB181E-FDAC-4A10-996C-19767599B938.jpeg
    732.5 KB · Views: 1,400
Battery and IBBS Switches

Joe,

Love the organization on your panel. Why did you choose rotary switches instead of toggles for battery and ibbs?

Bob

Joe,

Also wondering what carbon fiber material you used? I’m planning the stock because I like more open space for the legs.

Sumit

Almost finished.. ;)

Attachments

• 20211002_161710.jpg
    20211002_161710.jpg
    626.5 KB · Views: 714
  • 20211002_191424.jpg
    20211002_191424.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 491
  • 20211002_162801.jpg
    20211002_162801.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 401
  • 20211002_162046.jpg
    20211002_162046.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 437
  • 20211002_163919.jpg
    20211002_163919.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 422
  • 20211002_190135.jpg
    20211002_190135.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 385
  • 20211002_183647.jpg
    20211002_183647.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 577
  • 20211002_183617.jpg
    20211002_183617.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 568
  • 20211002_183823.jpg
    20211002_183823.jpg
    777.5 KB · Views: 1,334
  • 20210612_224507.jpg
    20210612_224507.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 550
While the cockpit is not complete, the mechanical panel work is done. Everything designed in 3D and then waterjet cut and anodized. Stock panel design. The radio stack fits underneath the central rib, no cutouts needed.
All switches and dials will sit on the bar below the panel. Above the switches, a dimmable, dense micro-led-bar (360 LEDs) will backlight Dymo printed black on clear labels on milk glas covered with thin acrylic for protection.
The master caution and master warning light also has Dymo printed labels underneath the cover.
If anyone is interested in the 3D-design, I open-sourced it here on OnShape (create a free account, then clone the design):
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5...renderMode=0&uiState=6166f10498325275f4eec3f7

Attachments

• 2021-10-13 07-24-30.jpg
    2021-10-13 07-24-30.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 594
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 7.38.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 7.38.13 AM.png
    499 KB · Views: 426
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 7.47.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 7.47.07 AM.png
    475.1 KB · Views: 410
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 7.48.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 7.48.22 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Looks sweet, I may just copy this when I reach this point.

While the cockpit is not complete, the mechanical panel work is done. Everything designed in 3D and then waterjet cut and anodized. Stock panel design. The radio stack fits underneath the central rib, no cutouts needed.
All switches and dials will sit on the bar below the panel. Above the switches, a dimmable, dense micro-led-bar (360 LEDs) will backlight Dymo printed black on clear labels on milk glas covered with thin acrylic for protection.
The master caution and master warning light also has Dymo printed labels underneath the cover.
If anyone is interested in the 3D-design, I open-sourced it here on OnShape (create a free account, then clone the design):
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5...renderMode=0&uiState=6166f10498325275f4eec3f7

Major parts working after running some 138 wires (see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AqWwhWavieX5wUc94eRBboVtdiVnk19nisR-6vLuD6g/edit?usp=sharing). I have a 650 main GPS and a 375 secondary GPS with transponder. Cross fill works via the G3X system.
I built the sub-panel and center rib out of wood to be able to mount all the boxes in their designated places to get the harness right. I printed the sub-panel and rib at 1:1 scale at a Fedex Office place ($1 per square foot), then glued it to the wood panel and cut it out.

Attachments

• 2021-11-04 19-25-07.jpg
    2021-11-04 19-25-07.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 998
Last edited:
Looks great, Martin!

I'm interested in possibly cloning your panel for my RV-10. I've always planned to use the stock panel, in lieu of the Aerosport ones, to save money and "knee room." Does your G5 fit under the glare shield. It looks a little close. Also, why the backup GPS? Did you use the 3D model files to fabricate all the supports and sub-panel structure, or did you build them as you went with your wooden model (meaning only used the 3D files to watercut the panel itself)? I'm curious how much I could do with your files, without having the actual Garmin racks and avionics.

I'm interested in possibly cloning your panel for my RV-10. I've always planned to use the stock panel, in lieu of the Aerosport ones, to save money and "knee room." Does your G5 fit under the glare shield. It looks a little close. Also, why the backup GPS? Did you use the 3D model files to fabricate all the supports and sub-panel structure, or did you build them as you went with your wooden model (meaning only used the 3D files to watercut the panel itself)? I'm curious how much I could do with your files, without having the actual Garmin racks and avionics.

I used the std panel for the same reasons. I will shoot a pic of mine for you. No issues getting my G5 in there.

Larry

> Does the G5 fit?
Yes, it should, see CAD view. Also on my real panel, there is room towards the edge of the panel just as planned.
> Why backup GPS?
IFR redundancy. If the primary 650/750 goes out, you lose all your ILS/LOC/VOR/LPV capability at once. Plus you need a transponder and ADS-B In and Out anyway, so the GXN375 has all that built in, so add a little more money and you have a backup IFR capable GPS instead of just a transponder.
I also like that you can copy your current flight plan to the second GPS, modify it and then switch over when you are all ready instead of fiddling with the GPS that is currently driving your autopilot.
> Did you use the 3D model files to fabricate all the supports and sub-panel structure
Yes, the panel was waterjet cut from stock material and my CAD file. I built the sub-panel and center rib from wood but glued a CAD printout on the wood so I could cut along the lines. I made three angle brackets to connect the center rib to the panel and to the sub panel to make it rigid. I did purchase the switch bar from Vans (some $30) so I could mount my switches before having the fuselage (QB coming in Jan).
/Martin

Attachments

• 2021-11-08 16-51-08.jpg
    2021-11-08 16-51-08.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 451
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 4.42.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 4.42.18 PM.png
    205.1 KB · Views: 284
Which panel LED?

Almost finished.. ;)

Hi Igor,

very impressive panel. I love your panel lights. Who is producing them?

I know you are installing AT-1 for traffic awareness. But which transponder device are using then?

Thanks,
Alex

Another variation on the same theme.

Standard panel to maximize leg room, only one standard cutout in the subpanel for the GNX375 and the NAV/COM. It should meet the requirements for IFR in Canada, where you need an out for the failure of any single device (radio or indicator)

Backlit Honeywell AML series switches fit nicely below the panel.

GTR20 suspended on a sheet between the main and sub panel behind the MFD, but the rest of the LRUs are attached to front of the sub panel by a zillion nutplates.

Engine controls were moved up to keep room for the South Florida center console.

Attachments

• 20211029_181636 (002).jpg
    20211029_181636 (002).jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 678
Very nice, and similar to my setup. I have one remark looking at your switches: you combined the battery and the alt switch while I kept them apart. The reason I did this is to cover the case that e.g. battery one goes bad. If you now want to continue and use the main alternator, you need to turn the cross feed on to get alternator two to bus one. But you would want to switch battery one off and keep alternator one on.

Dual bus

Hi Martin,

I did think about that and indeed my Glasair which is single bus has them separate. Indeed the 1st drawings had them separate here too. I wanted to get my switch count down. I don't see any harm in keeping them separate, but figured I didn't need to keep them separate which Cessna switches confirm.

I'll share my thinking based on the rest of what the system looks like:

1. I need voltage to get the alternator going so the only scenario I thought of where I would switch off the battery would be if I knew it was about to do something nasty to me while the system was still up. That would likely be because I smelt something in which case removing all sources of energy not immediately needed would be SOP. E.g master off, g5 battery and iPad, as a starting point and work back up from there if the situation needs more. At that point I'd need the battery to bring back the alternator.

2. I've split devices across the two busses so that if either go down I still have plenty of ways to get on the ground.

3. If I need something from the other bus I can always use the bus tie, as there are extra amps on both sides.

4. Fewer switches means less thinking and combinations which reduces the chances that I set a combination for the 1st time, and find a potential failure mode. (Which of course I offset by the dual bus)

Now that we have independent back-lit backup horizons, even a complete electrical failure is not the urgent affair it was when everything went dark at night, so no ess bus or even an avionics master. Theory being that I can keep the right side up with the g5 and spend a minute or two deciding what I can shed based on the situation in case of charging system failures.

Speaking of failure modes. I've twice had to spend a bunch of money to replace wide swaths of avionics due to overvoltage. Both times in airplanes with over voltage crowbars, both certified. I intentionally designed without diodes that would pass that from one side to the other, and the bus tie stays off in normal operations.

Dual independent bus could be seen as overkill in a single engine airplane, but I like it. If I hadn't done the dual bus, my panel would look even closer to yours. IBBS and VPx are both great solutions to keep things clean

Last edited:
Back