What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low Cost Options Please

jrock836

Well Known Member
I didn't build my plane, so I don't have a bunch of airplane sheet metal experience and tools. When I built my Cobra kit car, I just drilled holes, cleco'd everything together and pulled rivets.

I just received the rear baggage modification kit for my airplane. Looks like I will need to dimple 16 #40 holes and install 8 platenuts using some tiny AN426AD-3.5 Countersunk Head Rivets.

Can someone tell me exactly what tools I need to dimple a #40 hole and install the above mentioned rivets? I assume I need a dimple die? Which one? I don't want to buy a $300 dimple die set, if I can just buy the one I need. Same thing for the rivets. Since I only need to install 16 rivets, I don't want to spend hundreds on a squeezer or rivet gun if there's a low cost option to install the rivets without those tools.

I'm hoping that I can install this $30 piece of sheet metal without spending $500 on tools! Lol...

Ideas please!

Last edited:
I see you are in Texas - tons of RV builders in Texas! Scout around for one that would be willing to advise and lend tools to get your project done.

I see you are in Texas - tons of RV builders in Texas! Scout around for one that would be willing to advise and lend tools to get your project done.

Thanks.. Rather than borrowing tools from someone, if there's a quick low cost way to just get it done, that's what I'm shooting for..

So it looks like they are 3/32" rivets.. So a 3/32" dimple die is what's needed? Should this work for what I'm wanting to do?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/cata...j4v-cWIpOSoYPT82fN81qBFjJOcEGiKxoCnfYQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
Thanks.. Rather than borrowing tools from someone, if there's a quick low cost way to just get it done, that's what I'm shooting for..
So it looks like they are 3/32" rivets.. So a 3/32" dimple die is what's needed? Should this work for what I'm wanting to do?
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/cata...j4v-cWIpOSoYPT82fN81qBFjJOcEGiKxoCnfYQAvD_BwE

This would be my recommendation. Of course, I'm somewhat known for using pop-rivet dimplers as I have build several airplanes using only these and vice grip dimplers.

This would be my recommendation. Of course, I'm somewhat known for using pop-rivet dimplers as I have build several airplanes using only these and vice grip dimplers.

Okay thanks Mel.. I probably should have just done my research before asking the questions.. Lazy I guess.. I now see I can buy a 3/32 rivet set tool for cheap too. The rivets may not come out perfect, but they are only being used to mount some platenuts to hold the two pieces of the corrugated baggage bulkhead sheetmetal together so that it can later be removed without removing the fuel tank..

Heading to Aero Performance. Thanks..

Joe,
Take a look at Page 10-04 of the kit instructions for the rear fuselage bulkhead. In figure 2, we use some flush-head pulled rivets to install a couple of nutplates. If you can use this type of rivet for your installation, it will eliminate the need for a squeezer or rivet gun to install solid rivets.

Last edited:
Joe,
Take a look at Page 10-04 of the kit instructions for the rear fuselage bulkhead. In figure 2, we use some flush-head pulled rivets to install a couple of nutplates. If you can use this type of rivet for your installation, it will eliminate the need for a squeezer or rivet gun to install solid rivets.

I'll take a look.. Thanks Mark..

One other option, if you haven’t drilled any holes yet, is to use ClickBond nut plates. Yup, they are much more expensive than a regular nut plate, but you don’t have to buy any tools - so the total cost of the project might well turn out to be less.

You’re in a situation that is fairly unique - most folks already have all the tools, and ClickBond is an expensive luxury. But if you don’t want to borrow the tools, I am betting you can by ten ClickBond plates more cheaply than the tools.....

Paul

Good options here. If it were me (since I don't like my pop rivet dimpler) I would just get the $90 hand squeezer from Brown tool, a set of dimple dies and a set of flush dies (about $30 each) for a total of around $150 and do the job. You will probably need them later for something anyway.

Tim

One other option, if you haven’t drilled any holes yet, is to use ClickBond nut plates. Yup, they are much more expensive than a regular nut plate, but you don’t have to buy any tools - so the total cost of the project might well turn out to be less.

You’re in a situation that is fairly unique - most folks already have all the tools, and ClickBond is an expensive luxury. But if you don’t want to borrow the tools, I am betting you can by ten ClickBond plates more cheaply than the tools.....

Paul

Had never seen those before..Pretty cool..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl_zYF7l-1g

Good options here. If it were me (since I don't like my pop rivet dimpler) I would just get the $90 hand squeezer from Brown tool, a set of dimple dies and a set of flush dies (about $30 each) for a total of around $150 and do the job. You will probably need them later for something anyway.

Tim

Thanks Tim.. You don't even want to know how much I've spent this month on the airplane! If I bought those tools right now, I would have to factor in the cost of a divorce too... :)

I think I have it figured out now.. Thanks everyone for all the great ideas!

Last edited:
Back