What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy overspray

rjcthree

Well Known Member
The ultimate painting error....overspray on the canopy. Mine is even more shameful, it’s on the inside and low towards the glare shield. Is it safe to use new clean claybar to try to remove it? I’ve been living with it since first flight, it’s very very faint, but with low sun angles, it’s most noticeable in the winter. I’m not totally sure what paint it is, but I think it’s my sealer / sandable primer used for the canopy transition.

Start with claybar, if that doesn't work, use one of the windshield polishing products like the Novus products. Those work, are inexpensive, and come in a series of 3 different grits to leave you with a nice, blemish free piece of plexi.

You might want to give Airplane Plastics, in Tipp City, Ohio a call. They manufacture the RV canopies. They might have a suggestion. They have been very helpful whenever I called.

Thanks....

My overspray is deep into the area of the (tip up) glareshield , so I don’t have a lot of room to work, which is why I asked about claybar. It and my hands can work ok.

Overspray

You might try some Mother’s aluminum polish (the mag wheel stuff) in a small inconspicuous spot to see what it does. I’ve seen it work well on overspray before.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Plastic sheet repair

The procedure is located in AC 43-13.1b Sec 4 Ch 3-40 d. Page 3-23

Last edited:
Back