What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotisserie ideas?

HF engine stands

I’ve seen quite a few nice ones out of Home Depot alum angle and the cheapest harbor freight engine stands you can find.

Rotisserie

Check out my fuse page on my blog.
I didn't fabricate the stand but a good metal person could duplicate it.
Gentleman that sold it is no longer selling them.
I did fabricate the plywood sectiin clamped the the aft deck.
It has been amazing.
Only one word of warning. Either make the legs wide, like mine or tie the legs of the fore and aft stands together. You would be suprised how much they move as the fuse is rotated.

I purchased 2 engine stands and only used one. Used a saw horse for the tail and it worked fine. Not sure how you would use two and keep the centre axis of the fuselage centred. I thought it would put undo stress on something, likely the tail.
I offset the centre of the engine stand slightly on the firewall so it would clear the floor when turned on its side. I could turn the fuselage by myself without any concerns. I used hardware store bolts through the holes used for motor mount. Used the lightest engine stand from Harbour Freight.

Attachments

• IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 182
Rotto rocks

This design served me well. Later I added extensions to the crossbeam to make clearance for FW additions (batter box etc).

Mounted the vertical tubes (1.125x1.125) using the virgin holes for the engine mount and long AN3 bolts. The cross piece is a thru bolt 5/16".

The tail rested on a sawhorse with a piece of 1/2" black pipe in the tail stinger mount. Put a bolt in the stinger/pipe and capture the other end of the pipe on the sawhorse with an eye bolt so things don't get away as you rotate the fuse.

Best move of the whole build, save me numerous Chiropractor visits!

Attachments

• rotto.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 342
  • rotto1.pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 167
I purchased 2 engine stands and only used one. Used a saw horse for the tail and it worked fine. Not sure how you would use two and keep the centre axis of the fuselage centred. I thought it would put undo stress on something, likely the tail.
I offset the centre of the engine stand slightly on the firewall so it would clear the floor when turned on its side. I could turn the fuselage by myself without any concerns. I used hardware store bolts through the holes used for motor mount. Used the lightest engine stand from Harbour Freight.

Nice. Wouldyou mind posting a photo of how the tail is mounted?

I cut a V into the top of a saw horse and rested the stinger there. Used engine stand on the front and took the wheels off the front of it to lower the rotating axis and put that axis more in line with the tail support. Rotating the fuselage makes building so much more enjoyable.

Nice. Wouldyou mind posting a photo of how the tail is mounted?

I did not mount the tail on the saw horse. It just hung over the end loosely and turned as required. I could turn it to any angle that I needed. These are the only pics I could find. There not great.

Attachments

• IMG_1635 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_1635 - Version 2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 6.38.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 6.38.48 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
Back