What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blind Rivet Substitute for 426-4-3?

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I have a tight location requiring a 426-4-3.5 that cannot be bucked; I've tried everything. But, clearance on the shop side is only 0.125" so all the countersunk blind rivets I have looked at are too long to allow flush fit.

Does anyone know of a really short flush blind rivet that will fit a -4 (#30) hole with a -3 (#40) head that has a body shorter than 0.0125" before pulling?

Oh, it's non-structural, sort-of. It's a longitudinal stiffener riveted to the fuse foreskin on the -14A. The rivet is immediately aft of the firewall.

The entire skin would need to be removed to rivet this per plan. So, this is not a desirable option.

Thanks, in advance, as usual.

S

LP4-3

I have a tight location requiring a 426-4-3.5 that cannot be bucked; I've tried everything. But, clearance on the shop side is only 0.125" so all the countersunk blind rivets I have looked at are too long to allow flush fit.

Does anyone know of a really short flush blind rivet that will fit a -4 (#30) hole with a -3 (#40) head that has a body shorter than 0.0125" before pulling?

Oh, it's non-structural, sort-of. It's a longitudinal stiffener riveted to the fuse foreskin on the -14A. The rivet is immediately aft of the firewall.

The entire skin would need to be removed to rivet this per plan. So, this is not a desirable option.

Thanks, in advance, as usual.

S

Sounds like an Oops rivet. Don't think a pop equivalent exists.
Nearest would probably LP4-3 or maybe a MK-319-BS

Last edited:
It is pretty easy to shorten a pulled rivet. Remove the stem, cut the body of the rivet to the desired length and reinsert the stem. Just make sure that the resulting body is long enough to leave a sufficient shop head.

Back