What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing gussets question. Take a look

Coaltowngarage

Im beginning work trying to make progress on an almost 30 year old project. First order of business is getting my mind wrapped around where the previous owner left off and get going. I noticed in the aileron bellcrank area the gussets look different tan the current plans i have. Seems like i read about an issue with the skin cracking or something but cant seem to find it again. My plans show a gusset spanning from one rib to the next and these are short. One wing is closed up and the other wouldnt be too big a deal to change except for the funny rivet spacing it might yeild on the top surface. Looking for input. Thanks!

Realizing i cant figure out how to post a pic. Maybe someone knows what im trying to describe.

Would an external picture of the top and bottom rivet spacing help? If so, I can get those tomorrow. As I remember, the bellcrank support ties to the top and bottom skin and the two adjacent ribs. There may also be a short (false) rib in there somewhere, but it has been a few years...

My plans show the half rib piece and two gussets tying the aileron bellcrank rib and the adjacent outboard rib together. One on the top skin and one on the bottoon these wings, the gussets only span about 4 inches from the aileron crank rib. There are 4 rivets with 3/4 spacing tying the gusset to the skin. If the consensus is that i need to replace them with ones that span between the two ribs, thats what ill do. I think its doable on the closed up skin via the access cover but i bet itll be a joy.

Old style gussets

It sounds like you have the pre-1993 gussets. I had to order the new ones (W-425s) from Van's for my ancient wing kit too. I can't tell you if it would be worth the trouble to replace them. Lots of early RV's are flying with that older design. They are known as W-419s on my old RV-4 plans and were hand made from .040 sheet aluminum.

Last edited:
Welp, thats gotta be it then. This kit was ordered in 1991. I dont foresee the one on the bottom skin being an issue as the builder has it tied in with the flange for the inspection plate. So its got an extra layer between the skin. The one on the top though, im not sure about. I could make up that piece easy enough but then id have to continue across with a really tight rivet spacing to make it match the previous holes or put those rivets back where they were and continue a wider pattern. I dont want to mess anything up or have it look weird. My brother paints rv's all the time at his shop, he told me whoever built those wings really knew what they were doing. Off topic now but its a shame they,... whoever they were, didnt get to finish the project. But, now its my mission to get this bird in the air after all these years of gathering dust. Ive mostly spend hours just looking at it...havent gotten all the tools i need to really do much yet.

Back