What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GMU44 location survey

bobmarkert

Well Known Member
I've spent hours researching mounting locations for the GMU-44 magnetometer in a RV8. Most mount it on a shelf just forward of F809 and some in the tail shelf just fwd of the horizontal tail. A quick survey please of how many GMU-44 are mounted and where and if you would do it again. About to decide this week....
Thank you
Bob

Not sure about the size differences, but I mounted one Dynon magnetometor in the tail and one on an access panel in the right wing. Both seem to work well.

The GRT magnetometer in my -8 is on a shelf aft of the 809. When I did a pre-mounting survey (with the system powered up), I was able to get heading changes by moving the elevator horns when it was on the aft deck (which is why I didn't use that spot). When we mounted the GMU-44 on the RV-3, I checked the aft deck location, and it seemed to be no issue - and has proved that in flight. I've seen the forward hole on the aft deck used by noted Garmin personnel as well....

The G3X software contains a magnetometer survey tool that really works BTW - it will tell you if your location is any good.

Paul

Bob...you're going Garmin? Now you can teach me how to use mine!

For what it's worth, I just built a shelf forward of 809. I'll be mounting that GMU44 gizmo this week after the Stein box arrives. If it doesn't work, I'll hang it on a retractable line 10 feet behind the fuselage.

Build it now. Climbing back in there after the skin is on hasn't been the most fun part of this project!

See ya at lunch Wednesday?

Back