What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navworx's at Oshkosh?

Will be putting certified WAAS GPS in ABS-B

They will be putting certified WAAS GPS in ABS-B. They will upgrade already sold units for the price of postage.

Navworx to offer TSO cert GPS

Now that is great news. Seals the deal for me.

I have recently noticed that the ADS-B network (TIS and FIS) is now functional for in-route (about what current radar coverage gets you) for the majority of the perimeter of the country.

http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/flashmap/

So with FIS-B and TIS-B up and running everywhere I usually fly, Naxworx doing excellent work to get that certification, I'm in.

Someday I will update my panel to one of the many nice EFIS units available. Since I don't currently want to re-do my entire panel for the display, I have decided on the Chartflier software:

http://www.essentialflight.us/

They offer a complete EFB with all the VFR and IFR charts and approach plates, diagrams, etc, display ADS-B Weather and Traffic including NEXRAD and the majority of FIS-B products for $125/yr. It uses a windows based system so there is a huge set of options for computer tablets to use. They offer a tablet computer starting at $275. I believe they are RV guys, so I am surprised that a search for them on this forum cam up empty.

For a computer, the smallest windows tablet I can find is the HP 500 Slate. It is about the size and price of the iPad with comparable memory. Windows 7 will slow it down some compared to an iPad, but is has FULL windows 7 capabllity.. mulititask, Flash, documents etc... There are other good options too (many much cheaper than an iPad), but the HP seems to be smallest, which suits my needs.

So I will have my complete ADS-B in/out system with Weather, Traffic, and EFB and a nice portable computer for a little over $3k.

Just an FYI, I was thinking about installing a G3X unit (due to recent price reduction) but after doing a little homework, I discovered that the unit will not accept/display ADS-B weather. That put the kobosh on that upgrade.

G3X is really more expensive

There is no question, the G3X, which I have chosen to install, will be more expensive to maintain regardless the initial hardware costs. We users need to continue to remind Garmin that to really attract the experimental market we need "experimental" prices for data updates and ADS-B support.

Just an FYI, I was thinking about installing a G3X unit (due to recent price reduction) but after doing a little homework, I discovered that the unit will not accept/display ADS-B weather. That put the kobosh on that upgrade.

Guys,

If you talked to me at Oshkosh, you heard me say that ADS-B weather and traffic is planned for G3X in 2012. Compatible receivers will be announced in the future, and that's all I can say about it for now.

cheers,
mcb

Guys,

If you talked to me at Oshkosh, you heard me say that ADS-B weather and traffic is planned for G3X in 2012. Compatible receivers will be announced in the future, and that's all I can say about it for now.

cheers,
mcb

Not sure who I was talking to but the Garmin rep in the tent said I would need the GDL90 if I wanted ADS-B weather, the G#X currently would not accept weather from any of the other ADS-B receivers. Lowering the price is a great incentive to buy, but if I can't afford the soon to be required ADS-B "option" then whats the sense. :eek:

Last edited:
Not sure who I was talking to but the Garmin rep in the tent said I would need the GDL90 if I wanted ADS-B weather, the G#X currently would not accept weather from any of the other ADS-B receivers. Lowering the price is a great incentive to buy, but if I can't afford the soon to be required ADS-B "option" then whats the sense. :eek:

That no doubt is because the person you talked to was most likely a "certified guy" and not an expert on the experimental side. Despite their best effort, not everyone at the Garmin booth is/was overly knowledgeable this year regarding the G3X and more than one person came away slightly misinformed on various aspects of the G3X. In my opinion the GDL-90 is not a good option no matter how you slice it....and I don't know why it was pushed as the answer. I also wouldn't necessarily take any one persons opinion on ADSB as gospel. Mandates are one thing, funding is another....I've said all along, ADSB and "requirements" will all hinge on political activities that 'we' have very little input on. Will it happen for sure, fairly likely. Will it happen on the original "schedule", I dunno! One need only look at the current FAA and Political landscape to take note of this. How quickly is ADSB progressing right this instant?!?! :)

Anyway, suffice to say that I expect Garmin to be competitive all the way around, ADSB included.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
Back