What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jubilation!!!

crewdog434

Well, my RV friends, I have crossed the ever elusive threshold called "the first engine start." After one full rotation of the 3-bladed Catto prop, the Lightspeed Ignition System brought the engine to life. Diggin that electronic ignition already! She purred like a kitten as I throttled through a few RPM settings. No leaks or squawks noted, post-run. Still have to secure a few items, i.e. the cabin heat hose hanging out there. A little fiberglass work left to do on the plenum and cowling. Hoping to git'r in the air sometime in March/April, if the Air Force Reserve can keep me home long enough. :D
dscn0173p.jpg

Hey there Danny. Yep...she's Jet Black with Pearlescent (sp?) Candy Apple Red mixed in. Then three coats of clear. Looks black in the shade. But when the sun hits it, the paint reflects a burgandy tone back at ya. I had the fine folks at Air Graphics help me with a design for her. Used primarily red with gold trim for the graphics. I'll post pics when I get them on.

Congrats!

Congrats, Jerry. Looks sweet. With an engine that purty, I assume you made a clear cowling, right? :D

You'll need to pop over to 3C1 sometime. I didn't know where Rolling Prairie was till I pulled it up on MapQuest. I probably flew right over you a week ago when I flew up to the Lake Michigan shoreline, then back down around SBN's airspace, then over to Ohio and back -- just to kill time. A little chilly, but good to get up.

Looking forward to seeing your bird in person. Again, congrats.

Air Graphics

DO you have an address for them? I googled them and came up with a company in New England. WOuld that be the one?

Dave

Hi ya Wizard. Air Graphics is located at Middleton, WI airport, just west of Madison. From my understanding, they do a fair amount of the graphic designs for Cirrus, among others. Their phone number is 608-831-7774. Website is www.airgraphicsllc.com. Hope this helps.

By the way, I chose the Catto three-blade for its smooth operation and astetics. Its a fixed-pitch, wood prop with a carbon fiber and fiberglass overlay. Very very light (weight) prop. Craig Catto can paint it any color you want and set the optimum pitch for your type of aircraft/engine combo.

Hey Bruce,

It looks like we are getting another -9 in the air!

Congrats Jerry! We can't wait for the first flight report.

Back