What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VMS1000C Fuel Quantity

crewdog434

Calibrated my fuel tanks this morning (RV-9), only to realize that the fuel quantity gauges still read "Error". Calibration was performed as instructed. Double checked all "setup" items. Wiring verified. It appears that the system saved all the "values" that appeared on the screen as I filled the tanks. Talked to Otto in Texas. He's going to talk to the engineer in California; possibly a programming problem.
Anyone have similar problems or suggestions?

Search the forum

Calibrated my fuel tanks this morning (RV-9), only to realize that the fuel quantity gauges still read "Error". Calibration was performed as instructed. Double checked all "setup" items. Wiring verified. It appears that the system saved all the "values" that appeared on the screen as I filled the tanks. Talked to Otto in Texas. He's going to talk to the engineer in California; possibly a programming problem.
Anyone have similar problems or suggestions?

Search the forum for "VM1000c". This has come up several times -- as recently as a few days ago. The short version is that the older VM1000c units have a software bug with respect to the fuel level calibration. Here is what the engineer told me last year:

=====
Before you do the fuel cal procedure, make sure you do the ERASE PRIMARY for Left and for Right - AND ERASE SECONDARY for both Left & Right, before you calibrate. Secondary is only programmed for a tail dragger if you want a special setup for on the ground calibration. Otherwise leave it erased.
======

Thanks for the response Geoff. I may have to start from scratch and try it again. Although I have the newer VMS unit in the panel, perhaps the software glitch followed along.

With the help of the VMS folks, we got it figured out. I was using one gallon increments, which is believed to be confusing the computer. Recalibrated using two gallon increments and everything worked fine.

Back