What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacement cylinder oil drain hose?

TCONROY

Well Known Member
My 5 year old IO-360-M1B has some oil weeping from the black rubber oil drain hose under the cylinders. I've tightened the hose clamps a little but it didn't seem to help and the hose still rotates freely, likely causing the leak. Should I just buy new hose or is there an aftermarket replacement that folks have found works better/lasts longer?

The problem with those things is that the clamps don’t do a good job of putting even pressure all the way around - the shape of the worm screw and the small diameter of the hose means there are spots that really don't get any tension at all. Many of us are using Automotive full-circumference clamps there and having good results. The hoses are cheap to replace, and I’d do that if I were trying new clamps.

Paul

The right clamp is the "constant Compression" clamp available on Amazon. Mine has not leaked since I put them on and it has been a few years.

Great, thanks so much guys! I'll get some new hose ordered from Spruce (or is the stuff from NAPA acceptable?) and those constant compression clamps.

You will need a long 90 deg needle nose plier to reach the clamps at the engine. Install the hoses on the alum tube, insert on the engine fitting and then use the the plier. In couple of places it is pain but you will only need to do it once. Keep cursing and keep pushing to get it done. That is my method when something is a pain and it seems to work well.

Thanks, I was going to ask the same question. I'm sure I can find a mechanic at the local shop with a set of long pliers....or my local Snap-On guy. Thanks all!

What is the best tool for installation of these clamps?

George
I was able to put them on with regular long needlenose pliers.
I put the clamps in the middle of the rubber tube and oriented them so I could get to the rear from the back, and the front from the front.
Pinch and slide them into position after getting the hose on the tubes.
I think it is actually easier than trying to tighten the old-style hose clamps.

https://www.danhorton.net/Articles/0414_Beads.pdf

I use ABA brand slottless clamps in the proper diameter for drainback hoses. They work, and if used on a certified airplane no second guesser is likely to have a fit.

No extrusion with slottless clamps.

Attachments

• Extruded rubber oil return hose.jpg
    Extruded rubber oil return hose.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
ebay option

Another option: https://www.ebay.com/itm/352701545057

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks for the verification, guys. I love this site. I recognize those clamps as the ones I never put back when I’m working on the car. They always looked cheap so I replaced them with worm drive clamps. Now I gotta rethink all that.... Yup, too soon old, too late smart. BTW, Harbor Freight used to sell long handled needle nose pliers with about 4 different angled jaws. I have one of each. Not sure if they still sell them.

Oil Drain hoses

If you use locally sourced hose, be sure to use oil and gas resistant hose. Heater hose will not last long in this application.

What is the best tool for installation of these clamps?

George

You can buy these flexible hose clamp pliers at autozone, etc. I bought a pair yesterday for a tough to reach hose clamp on my truck. It worked OK on this large diameter hose clamp, but I bet it would work well on the smaller lines discussed in this thread.

View attachment 445

Last edited:
My 5 year old IO-360-M1B has some oil weeping from the black rubber oil drain hose under the cylinders. I've tightened the hose clamps a little but it didn't seem to help and the hose still rotates freely, likely causing the leak. Should I just buy new hose or is there an aftermarket replacement that folks have found works better/lasts longer?

I have had very good luck getting the leak stopped by cleaning up the fittings with solvent and using a little gasket compound (Permatex of RTV) on the metal when reassembling.

Easiest way to install these:

1. Put the tabs in a vise, and use it to pinch them together.
2. Safety wire the taps together.
3. Position them where you want them on the hose.
4. Cut the safety wire to let them spring close.

Back