What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel Tiedowns at KSYR?

Saville

Well Known Member
Hi all!

I'll be flying into Syracuse a lot in the near future and I was wondering if anyone knew of tailwheel tiedowns at the airport? I called Signature prior to my last trip and asked if they had them. The receptionist said yes but when I got there the linesman said they don't have tailwheel tiedowns.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a service at SYR that has tail wheel tie downs available for overnight.

Thanks!

I always carry some straps with me just in case, as I've learned the hard way. If they have anchors, then we know it's a 3 point. Sometimes I think personnel at the FBO's forget a TD'r is no different than a tricycle. Just have to face in the other direction.

I always carry some straps with me just in case, as I've learned the hard way. If they have anchors, then we know it's a 3 point. Sometimes I think personnel at the FBO's forget a TD'r is no different than a tricycle. Just have to face in the other direction.

Ah I wasn't clear. I have the tie downs. Signature does not have the 3 point system on the asphalt.

the one fbo there, used to be execair now some thig else, cantg remember has a $25 ramp fee. they dont like small planes. they have the highest 100ll around. check out the flight school on the grounds it might be cheaper there.
rv7

Last edited:
Syracuse

Signature is now the only fbo. They are famous for high ramp fees. Syracuse used to have two FBO's, both provided good service. No more.

KFZY, Oswego County 19 miles nw, cheapest fuel around. I've rented a hangar for $50/wk ( when avail) when I fly there to visit family.

Skaneateles

Skaneateles has hangar space. Appears to be lots of room in the two big hangars. Airport is unattended, look up the local phone number on skyvector.com. I think two local people are available for service. Self serve fuel. Transportation could be a potential problem, I'm not sure what is available locally. 45 minute drive to the SW side of SYR. Combination locks on both the big hangars, so once you make contact with the local people you are on your own. I was there a few days ago, driving unfortunately.
The man who built the airport later owned one of the FBO's at Syracuse. He was killed at Skaneateles taking off in a snowstorm in an Aero Commander. The airport went downhill after that but is slowly being restored to its former glory days.
I worked there for three years in a previous life.

Back