What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

college park MD

prkaye

Well Known Member
so I've been in College Park MD for the last day or so on business. Yesterday evening I was riding the Metro on the Green Line, and went right past College Park airport (KCGS). A nice looking little municipal airport very close to a metro station. Hmmm.... perhaps a very convenient way to fly my RV to visit DC? Flying from Canada, though, I think my first stop in the US has to be at an airport with Customs (although I haven't yet done this). Does KCGS have customs? Have any of you guys used that airport?

Phil,
College Park (KCGS) is located in DC Flight Restricted zone which has special entrance requirements in addition to what's required to fly within the DC SFRA. Also I'm pretty sure you can't do Customs there.

Here's the link to learn all about the SFRA and the FRZ: https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?cID=405&sID=640&preview=true

What is the FRZ, and Where is it? The Washington DC Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ) is within, and part of, the SFRA, but this area is subject to additional security requirements and procedures. Unlike the SFRA boundary, which is a ring established on a 30 nm radius from the DCA VOR/DME, the FRZ has a unique and irregular boundary.

How Do I Fly VFR in the FRZ? VFR operations in the FRZ are extremely limited. Flight operations under parts 91, 101, 103, 105, 125, 133, and 137 are prohibited in the FRZ without a waiver. VFR pilots should think of the FRZ as a “no-fly” area. The only exception is for the Maryland 3 airports: College Park Airport, MD (CGS), Potomac Airfield, MD (VKX), and Washington Executive/Hyde Field Airport, MD (W32)

To operate to or from College Park, Potomac, or Hyde, aircraft, crew and passengers must comply with security rules issued by the TSA. Pilot must be approved (vetted) and receive a personal identification number (PIN) for use in filing a FRZ flight plan. Before departing, the pilot must call the Washington Hub Flight Service Station (FSS) to file an IFR or FRZ flight plan for each operation, whether or not the aircraft makes an intermediate stop. The pilot must provide the assigned pilot identification code, and the Washington Hub FSS will accept the flight plan only after verifying the code. For information on obtaining a pilot PIN, please see the TSA website.

Last edited:
I believe my facts are correct. An RV8 owner and friend stationed at Westminster MD (KDMW) was the first outsider (Outside the Imperial FRZ) to gain approval and land at College Park.

I thought about it (because a favorite uncle lived within walking distance) but the level of intrusion into personal life required for approval was against my religion.

i have frequented the airport, windshear and the tree line can be sporty, plan on VFR departures, no options nearby for off airport landing that are appealing

requires FRZ pin, get that

"walk to the metro" depends on the season, and can be really cumbersome if you need to wear a suit as I did when I did the trek

College Park

Phil,

It is not as bad as you may think. I was based at College Park for many years, and it is a great little airport very close to the metro and therefore downtown DC. I ended up moving to Gaithersburg in order to get a hangar, but otherwise I would still be there.

As Vlad said, he went through the process last year and it is not that bad. you should try it.

Regards,

Fernando

FRZ process

Access to FRZ is a two-step process that takes about a half day of travelling between Reagan and the FSDO @ Dulles & a sponsoring airport (College Park?). Easy peasy!

Back