What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NX registration

alcladrv

Well Known Member
Is an NX registration (for US airplanes) valid for EAB airplanes to use in lieu of the EXPERIMENTAL sticker most of us place on the aft baggage wall?

Mel will probably be along shortly to give you the Full Monty on this, but its not an “NX Registration”, its a regular registration, but if you have an aircraft whose design goes back more than 30 years, you can put an “X” after the “N” when you paint on the N-Number, and then not have to use an “Experimental” decal. You still need the passenger warning of course.

Last edited:
In short, there is no such thing as NX registration. The "X" can be used on an experimental amateur-built aircraft that is at least 30 years or a replica of an aircraft at least 30 years old.

The "X" is NOT part of the registration. It simply replaces the "experimental" placard. It does not show up in any paperwork and is not used in any radio communications.

For RV applications, the RV-3, -4, and -6 are eligible.

Was that "shortly" enough?

Last edited:
Follow up to NX Registration

Could you put it on an RV-8 now, plus the Experimental Sticker? Then when it is 30 (2025) peel off the Experimental sticker in the Cabin? Or is it not allowed unless it's 30 at the time of painting it on?

Be careful

I have NX---- on my RV-6A. My operating limitations says that "EXPERIMENTAL" must be displayed; so I left the placard in place.

Could you put it on an RV-8 now, plus the Experimental Sticker? Then when it is 30 (2025) peel off the Experimental sticker in the Cabin? Or is it not allowed unless it's 30 at the time of painting it on?

You may NOT use the "X" in the registration number on an RV-8 until the design is 30 years old. This same paragraph allows use of 2" numbers.
§Ref 45.22(b)(1)

Last edited:
Wishful thinking leads to interpretations that benefit the wishful thinker.

Thank you Mel for the actual interpretation. In retrospect it was pretty clear, except for my wishful thinking.

Back