What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Registration, Builder, Owner

MAAG

I'm New Here
Hello all! First post.

My father-in-law is working on his PPL and after getting a ride in a 9-a, we've decided to start to build in November. This wasn't spontaneous as I've been talking about building since getting my ticket back in 2012 and nuged him to get his license and he's def. gotten bit by the bug. We've begun to slowly gather tools for this build and splitting the tools 50/50 since I plan on building a 10 in about 6 years.

My Father-in-law plans to fund 100% of this build. After all, it will be his airplane at the end.. but I would take on probably 75% of the build with the remaining 25% with his help/involvement but he would see and understand 100% of the build as I will explain what was done and how etc etc when hes not around..
My question(s) are:

Is the "only" thing that changes if the owner is not the builder the fact that the owner cant work on the plane?
Can the builder get a repairman certificate for that specific plane even though the plane is not registered under the builders name?

I hope my questions make sense. Thank you!

ANYONE can perform maintenance, repair and even modifications to an experimental amateur-built aircraft.

The owner does not have to be the primary builder, but should be listed as a builder.

To be eligible for the repairman certificate, the applicant must be listed as a primary builder of the aircraft and be able to show that he/she can competently perform the annual condition inspection.

Back