What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Louvers vs cowl flaps

Chippster1

I was on Anti splat aero website and was looking at the cowl flaps for RVs
My 10 has the Louvers on the bottom cowl, and they seem to keep the engine nice and cool. Does anyone know if the Louvers cause more cooling drag, and if so would replacing them with cowl flaps add a few more knots?

Ted Chipps
N498EC

I was going to add louvers if I needed them but rarely get above 400 chts. I think attention to cowl and cylinder sealing is crucial. Although I live in Michigan I’ve flown in Arizona and Florida with no problems, but haven’t been there in their hottest seasons either.

I was on Anti splat aero website and was looking at the cowl flaps for RVs
My 10 has the Louvers on the bottom cowl, and they seem to keep the engine nice and cool. Does anyone know if the Louvers cause more cooling drag, and if so would replacing them with cowl flaps add a few more knots?

Ted Chipps
N498EC

Louvers are a draggy solution. A closed cowl flap would almost certainly be a lower drag solution over fixed louvers.

Louvers are a draggy solution. A closed cowl flap would almost certainly be a lower drag solution over fixed louvers.

Maybe... but as Greg Hughes from Van's replied to a question recently:
Can you report on the effect on airspeed with the louvers installed?

Greg said:
Speed impact was negligible, essentially zero, when measured before and after the louvers were installed on the factory RV-9A.

Way back when, I held the opinion that adding louvers was guaranteed to make the airplane slower, the reason being an increase in mass flow. I've since reviewed a fair amount of in-cowl pressure data, and modified the above to may make the airplane slower. Here's why.

In simple terms, cooling drag = mass x velocity loss. It's not hard to see how slowing a mass requires a force, and how the required force grows given more mass or more slowing.

In previous thinking, I was treating the cowl exit as the only system throttle. In that model, opening the exit area (adding louvers) slowed the average exit velocity, as well as adding mass flow. More velocity loss, more mass, more drag.

Here's the modified thinking; there are really two throttles. In addition to the cowl exit, we must also consider the restriction of a good, tight engine baffle. We know there is a pressure drop across any effective baffle, with really well sealed baffles increasing the drop. The result, given the exit area of a standard Van's cowl, can be very little pressure in the lower plenum...and with no significant pressure, adding or subtracting exit area makes little difference.

Last edited:
While intelligent conversation, it can be postured as intelligent conjecture until verified.

I'm assuming Dan H's points was limited to lower speed operations, like climb out.

I understand the empirical way to test cooling drag would be "A" vs "B" glide tests using the "Zero Thrust" method explained on the CAFE site.

If the louvers were installed as an insert to the cowl, a blank could replace the louvers for the "b" test.

FWIW.

Back