What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy or cowl/FWF next?

rmartingt

Well Known Member
I’ve reached a point where (I think) all of my firewall-mounted equipment has been located, thanks to a temporary installation of the engine earlier. Now I’m trying to decide if I should proceed with continuing on the engine installation, to include initial cowl and baffle fitting and then starting to wire in some components, or switching gears for a while and doing the first phase of the (slider) canopy installation—fitting the rollbar, tracks, big cut, frame, etc., not the skirt fairings or attaching the windscreen.

Our winters here are pretty mild and I have several small electric heaters I can use to warm the shop up further; plus, I’d be able to get the canopy out of the shipping crate and free up some room.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

I did the canopy first and then put it back into the shipping box for safe storage. That didn’t save me any room but I know it’s finished, safe and out of the way in its box. Then I installed the engine, did the wiring and just finished the baffles. The list is getting shorter but it seems like every item takes a full day or 10 days to complete.

Probably either or....I did canopy first. And if slider, I highly recommend supertracks. You won’t regret that!

Also, i recommend leaving windscreen and top fwd skin for last to allow easier access for wiring.

Something to add to the equation

Painting the interior affects some other things. Installing cable, wires etc from the panel rearward will require some processes that may scratch paint. Also, you may not prefer painting over cables, wires, grommets etc. So I fabbed FWF wire & piping, canopy plus all things headed rearward. Then got it out of the way to paint interior (current project).

Painting the interior affects some other things. Installing cable, wires etc from the panel rearward will require some processes that may scratch paint. Also, you may not prefer painting over cables, wires, grommets etc. So I fabbed FWF,canopy plus all things headed rearward. Then got it out of the way to paint interior (current project).

I’ve been painting interior components as I go (before riveting them in). I’m not a great painter and figured an attempt to paint after assembly would look worse than one painted before assembly that got a bit of wear. Got a bit of touchup to do (and one or two things to paint now because I didn’t think about them early enough) but I’m not too concerned on that front.

I did the canopy first, but I don't think it matters.

HUGE 2nd to supertracks and Almost a 14 mod if you are a taller guy.

I found it easier to make all the measurements and adjustments to the roll bar and canopy frame with the engine out of the way

Canopy first

I also did canopy and windshield. My shop was all set up for fiberglass work so I finished the windshield, canopy skirt and all the tips. Yea, I'm sure I'll regret it but it's done and it felt really good to be finished with the plexi.

Back