What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical duplex fuel selector valve

JoopSJ

Well Known Member
I just saw that Andair is now offering an (expensive) electrically operated fuel selector valve.
Looks a bit bulky but the advantage to me seems that you can relocate the valve and get rid of the manual selector.

Me myself was thinking about relocating the valve under the pilot seat so I can have more space in the fuelpump tunnel. But that seems like a wild idea as it would require rerouting the fuel lines.

This one is 28v but the 14 v is following soon.

j4fOTRn0hnFQc_ez3-HnTxtjKcAyP-SJ6zG8scD-APkZpfpRfFR5bqE41k7XoWTbwQbbvjKRw-wnoNnYw0yOfLyVGkICTQxsOQBww00XkIDKEY8KeiVbR1VPiwQDY62syUhwqWQyMa80-6a9DETJCdRE5nTM4ZlaT9cO3tHdDSLXPaTuOw6H_89YCPU2GV2w-2Vl4qPoNGocFlq9ej32aHAnDgs3FJPE2ttpnz2UUB3_L-QzbBO41cnMZsJjGDGIT5xkjpRBn6AmwbhxZmist4nXIw-pTV_vjBlJo03X9iiiSoEsliTYJAXD3vdsqjGO9XhTNYijr1tBd2fx5AgQ126yHP_xaOwNPYvPjeh3zVYwZJfAmcraw7_UFioRdf1IsFNzdCkB_tIMGHqt2efxb94jeWU5CNoFTDMkalb2fkmsl5c0vxnI5FJYNS4AR9N9DX806YesDxl6fIPYq7tHILRW2YS7aHBFBzzGhMMimnWisIol1D9gLleSa3ua9fQ8UVJvXDR9aoACBYRetNCWgRUxz2hmv1wJFGDZ-N_WZUA6SGkX07d9hwm0r80znINcGjP0FmRwnRTPMkGqARkggiDr1u6w_J_9QypRlFzabjoBY08zePdcWdD2dx5Ul9M5ta6DV0jBpLjXm2LjmeNwi-jEGXy7MQ=w540-h420-no

t8LdUY6hORsR5mPTaTbYiXqCr8PNVFsMzpyQmew-0bvhFEuadRCuu9UjvXKoqwYbsd0n-0rUhsi7cMCCrPTHcIoJDZk308MMTfuKmevCs-yA0eSbvIIhc9gtjg6Cm85dbSlw0bZXngOT1znYugfbNhknQeo-5H7oq4FZO8CM4wuTXwJ9_NwyXlDGtMOFkrji0vfFlBIoXoGKltD9GXqS0g_U-aIoWR2ZmBjk_aaHq-qluTiTYwT0JRP24zLV1fTLm0AzasB_4TVqOv-cfhjolFL-SDFTJblQ4vPYRjP6C5SwvS8SDF61AgzSEEvMrvnWFd0Ps7xdnatYyhU2qwL61buLO48pTCmL6bPq92eRoaOElM9OALc7iZ-p14T6dPQhTXCyO8I9KIPgqdlvFGbHd35mJVcRSGganzZDrk2k6iQerEZd7rqgu937SdjZem8yXegtJy0hFEYemFbQoL8cAkB-EF7e2eeSr0lAW5kh3OL2j6L_rCyj9jUGnqMjf2HCTWu-fJnStnOlaL5t6MhxTvaYuZQuIbtj_o9Z7qKd0Ef1FPauvqkORnsc7B_ZN0b-kI2euGNZLkeC6Mg6cww6pdR_h-Klpj-7i3zdmZgarmGZwxcuchb69d2edaX2txwRphe8LT9aoZL6Ff7hf-lFpEGkmtqykw=w400-h311-no

Last edited:
Electrical componenst fail more often than manual ones

Just what you need --- introduce additional points of failure in your fuel system --- no thank you --- (I had electric valves on my Twin Comanche tip tanks -- they worked "most" of the time!)

Ron

They went through the expense of making it electric but didn't add a timed tank switching function? I think that's what would make it have some value beyond being a novelty or a potential point of failure. If you could automate the tank switching either based on fuel flow information or just a simple timer I think it would provide some added value and safety compared to a conventional valve. Just have an override for takeoff and landing.

I almost wonder if this isn?t intended for UAV applications... picture a converted GA airframe with an EFI engine (IIRC SDS sells lots of systems to military suppliers) and that would explain it. After all, no pilot on board to move the handle...

I have one of their ?regular? duplex valves, and locating was a bit of a bear since I was trying to avoid having any hard 90s in the suction line. But it?s a nice valve.

Interesting innovation

This is the kind of innovation that I really enjoy seeing. Imagine it being controlled by your EFIS so that tank switching is automatic, or automatic switching if fuel levels get low, or fuel pressure drops.

Clearly this is not for everyone, but it's great to see small companies like this bringing new products to the market.

I like the idea to relocate the fuel valve as well as most of the fuel management items outside.
I?m evaluating to put the gascolator, fuel pump and valve between the wing and the fuselage, keeping the tunnell free.
I?m not sure all these items can be placed in that place, but I would like a lot.
This valve provides this possibility.

Francesco

Routing fuel lines to the cockpit may be impractical, given an unusual or large airframe design. In that case, a remotely actuated valve may have value.

An RV is not such a design.

Cheve/gmc truck/subn using $100 selector with 2 tanks (only for 30 years) mounted under vehicle open to all elements ! Works great with fuel injection and
only need 1 fuel gage !switches pressure and return .

Back