What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Stick Play

Chippster1

I recently noticed a small amount of "play" in the control sticks in my RV-10.
I don't remember if it was always there, or is it a new phenomenon. Both sticks wiggle in sync, so the play must be further back. I mentioned it to my friend Vic Syracuse who said not to worry, so I am not too concerned, but I thought I would throw this out there on VAF and see what people have to say. I did not build the plane so I am not as familiar with the control system as others.

T Chipps

I assume you mean in pitch since you said it may be further back. If you engage the ap on the ground does it go away? That may tell if its fore or aft of ap.

Last edited:
In all likelihood the play in the stick is a result of a bushing at the base of the stick. It is called out in Figure 1, page 39-8, Bushing .065 x.375 x 2.313. Several of us have machined a custom bushing to tighten up the slop.

It is the bushing and it's not limited to RV10 model. I noticed the play in pitch after couple hundred hours. Still the same slop after 3K on my RV9A.

So it seems nobody here is concerned about any safety issues. Good to know
I will have to engage the AP next time I'm down there and check if it goes away

Would appreciate any other advice

T Chipps

Back