What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ICOM A210 troubles

jump4way

Well Known Member
I just sent my ICOM A210 in for repair because it was continually rebooting on the main screen. The tech has told me that the ribbon cable is frayed and caused a short on the front board. This ribbon cable is an obvious design flaw. The kicker here is they are telling me that the ribbon cable was tampered with and the 8 month old radio is not covered under warranty. They are asking for $630 for the repair. Has anyone else ran in to this situation? This seems unreasonable to me but I'm curious what others think.

This ribbon cable is an obvious design flaw. The kicker here is they are telling me that the ribbon cable was tampered with and the 8 month old radio is not covered under warranty.
Tampered with? ROTFL Just how do they expect you to install the radio without TAMPERING with the ribbon cable.

EDITED

Last edited:
Icom

Thats rot, previous threads covered this, the ribbons are cheap 1.00 I think, you should have some on hand because the owners say messing the ribbon is easy to do. I was looking to add a 210 to my 200, but the many comments about the cheesy connection turned me off. Call them get the unit back and order 2 or 3 ribbon connectors. repair it yourself. Before that, I would call Icom ask to speak to a manager, tell them their conclusion is hooey and you need them to be reasonable. Just my 2 cents.

ribbon connector

That ribbon connector is VERY fragile and has to be disconnected each time the front face plate is removed. ie each time the radio is locked in the tray. That looks definately be a week point in the devise. I would ask them to replace it at their cost or send you a new ribbon.

Yes the ribbon is fragile but I have had mine appart and together at least a dozen of times and the ribbon looks just like new BUT, I saw the warnings here and have been very, very carefull with it!

If your front board is damaged from the short, it might cost some $ to fix but the ribbons are cheap and you can change that yourself.

Call and ask for the manager and demand something to be done about this. No way they should tell you the cable was tampered with since you must remove it to install the radio.

There are a few firmware issues that others and I am pressing for ICOM to change but other than that, it is a fine radio. Once they fix a couple of those request, it will be a great fine radio.

Well, after a few calls speaking to the technical supervisor and the manager, they have reduced cost to $320. I suppose that is much better than the original number but I still can't believe this is not a warranty issue.

The technical supervisor admits that he has quite a few radios in for service because of this issue and that he has requested a design change from Icom for these same problems. That certainly tells me that they consider this a design issue as well.

My experience might be isolated but I guess I have to say that if I had this all to do over again, I would have gone with the SL40.

Thanks to those who commented.

I'm afraid that this is one case where I would have to bite the bullet and tell them where they could put that radio!
I've had other problems with I-Com and their hand held radios. I won't deal with them ever again.

I'm afraid that this is one case where I would have to bite the bullet and tell them where they could put that radio!
I've had other problems with I-Com and their hand held radios. I won't deal with them ever again.

Well, yes and no...

I think they should fix the radio for free, because it is a problem that can happen by design. On my own radio, I did notice that the ribbon had become frayed in the middle of a cold winter, during a removal for a new radio stack.
At that point, I bought the one dollar ribbons, which are easy to change at both ends. It's a good idea to look at the computer type flat ribbon before re-installing.

As to the Icom hand-helds, we have an Icom A21. It's probably 15 years old and still works just fine. Since the ribbon change, my A210 has been doing fine since last winter. It's my comm 2, in addition to the Garmin SL-40

L.Adamson

EDITED

Intercom problem resolved with updated setup configuration

Last edited:
As to the Icom hand-helds, we have an Icom A21. It's probably 15 years old and still works just fine. Since the ribbon change, my A210 has been doing fine since last winter. It's my comm 2, in addition to the Garmin SL-40
L. Adamson
My problem with the hand-helds is not so much with the radios but their attitude. When I had a problem with a bad battery in a brand new one, they essentially told me, "Tough Turkey, We're not going to do anything about it."
That was also about the time I was considering buying a new A210. Glad I didn't.

If they solve the issues with a free firmware update before I save up enough for a new Garmin and intercom then I will stay with the Icom. If not, it is history.

Or better yet, get the Garmin, get a "audio panel", and use the Icom as comm 2. This is what I did, and I'd never go back to one flip/flop radio, even when able to monitor standby. I like having the local CTAF, and air to air when flying with someone else; and being able to monitor ATIS and Class B airspace all at the same time if I want to.

L.Adamson ---- RV6A, Garmin SL-40, Icom A210, PS Engineering 8000B audio panel with XM radio attached.

Keep squaking and mention you have a huge audience with the power of the Internet to make an impact on their sales of this unit....

If he has admitted that he knows there is a problem and it is wide spread, use that info in your arguments with them. Repeat his name and position to his superiors.

Who did you purchase this radio thru? Maybe get them involved as well?

Well, after a few calls speaking to the technical supervisor and the manager, they have reduced cost to $320. I suppose that is much better than the original number but I still can't believe this is not a warranty issue.

The technical supervisor admits that he has quite a few radios in for service because of this issue and that he has requested a design change from Icom for these same problems. That certainly tells me that they consider this a design issue as well.

Well, I made another call to the service manager again today with the same result. I mentioned to him that even his own technical supervisor has requested that ICOM redesign the attachment cable system they use to attach the faceplate to the radio. His response was they don't feel like it's a design flaw or something of that effect.

I am only stating this information here in this thread because I sure wish I had read something to this effect before I had purchased this radio. For those considering Icom, I strongly recommend going a different direction.

Demand to talk to his or her boss. Don't stop till you get to the President if you have to. If that person will not allow you to talk to their boss. Call back later to the switchboard and ask for their supervisor.

Just be polite and explain your situation and demand a resolution that is fair. Keep taking it up the ladder till that happens or you reach the top and nobody cares.

Thanks for the encouragement Brian. I might continue to pursue this further but the fact of the matter is that I shouldn't have to. There are many choices out there for the consumer so nobody should be subject to this.

I honestly had not of thought of pursuing this further but you bring up a good point. The next step is to find out who the manager's boss would be.

Thanks again.

Making to big of a deal....

Well, I made another call to the service manager again today with the same result. I mentioned to him that even his own technical supervisor has requested that ICOM redesign the attachment cable system they use to attach the faceplate to the radio. His response was they don't feel like it's a design flaw or something of that effect.

I am only stating this information here in this thread because I sure wish I had read something to this effect before I had purchased this radio. For those considering Icom, I strongly recommend going a different direction.

I talked about this today with another Icom A210 owner. Fact is, the large animated display IS better looking than that of the Garmin SL-40 ( I have both). But in order to have that large display, you can't have a screw to remove the unit sitting in the middle of the frequency display. Therefor, Icom chose the method they did.

It may not be the best method, but it works. The ribbons are cheap if you really screw one up. At a point, you won't be constantly removing the radio, so it will be a non-event.

Personally, I think everyone is making too big a deal over this. I ruined a cable, and it didn't ruin my day. It was actually tougher to send my Garmin SL-40 back for a recall regarding frequency drift. That was just recent.

My only real complaint is that it's tough to see the screen when direct sunlight hits from the back of the canopy.

L.Adamson

My only real complaint is that it's tough to see the screen when direct sunlight hits from the back of the canopy.

L.Adamson
My wife and I flew over to Decatur, IL last week for Sunday brunch at the airport resturant. On the portion of the flight where the sun was over our shoulders I had to have her hold a chart to screen the sun from the face of the A210 so I could see the display to change frequencies. Without shielding the sun you could not read the display. That is just plain unacceptable. Sure I love the display the other 95% of the time but that 5% creates an unsafe cockpit IMHO. I'll call tomorrow specifically about the display readability to see what the company line is.

Last edited:
Sure I love the display the other 95% of the time but that 5% creates an unsafe cockpit IMHO. I'll call tomorrow specifically about the display readability to see what the company line is.

Kind of like my Garmin 696 versus my Lowrance 600c on the right side. The 696 is always perfect, even in the brightest sunlight. But the Lowrance fades big time. If I had to rely on the Lowrance, I'd be screwed some of the time. I'll be interested in what you find out.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I agree about the ribbon not being a big deal as long as you do not smoke something as a result of it being frayed or shorting out. Damage the main or front panel board and you got a much bigger issue.

Mine has not frayed but I have been very very carefull with it when I have it apart.

Quick question here... There are multiple references to the cheap ribbon cable. Where/how does one acquire a supply of spare ribbon cables? Do we know the part number to order directly from Icom?

BTW, I'll add my 2 cents worth here... I had originally installed an A200, then this summer at OSH picked up the 210. My gut feel is that, as far as a radio goes, the 200 gives better RX and TX performance. But the 200 display is virtually unreadible in any light if you're looking at it with any angular offset.

Installation of the 210 was a pain in the backside - it's tray retaining key just doesn't seem to want to rotate into place as it should. I made the installation job harder for myself because didn't disconnect the ribbon, relying instead on very careful handling of the display head while twiddling away with the tray retaining key. After spending over 25 years working inside avionics I can say with certainty that anybody who has difficulty with the A210 ribbon cable would find themselves to be the kiss of death to most modern avionics boxes. If you open up a modern radio or display unit you'll find all kinds of these very fragile connections. The A210 definitely requires gentle handling. Given Icom's general radio reliability, once the A210's installed it should pretty much be left in the tray forever.

Just remember, we normally pay avionics techs far less than auto repair mechanics, and the auto repair guys get to use big wrenches, pry bars and hammers! ;-)

Quick question here... There are multiple references to the cheap ribbon cable. Where/how does one acquire a supply of spare ribbon cables?

I looked up the number on the Internet. Was in Washington or Oregon as I remember. My wife talked to a service tech about the ribbons. Unfortunately, my box of ribbons with paperwork & address is at the airport.

L.Adamson

Unacceptable?

I'd say that the sunlight readability has to be at least the match of the Garmins or better. Why? Because you can't read in Garmin in direct sunlight EITHER!!!

Thats just the way it is unless you decide to use a backlight LCD. An neither vendor does.

At least the ICOM's display has BIG NUMBERS. Thats becoming more important every year. :D

On the portion of the flight where the sun was over our shoulders I had to have her hold a chart to screen the sun from the face of the A210 so I could see the display to change frequencies. Without shielding the sun you could not read the display. That is just plain unacceptable.

The bottom line is, I believed them when they published features and specifications that matched or bettered Garmins. Silly me.

I'd say that the sunlight readability has to be at least the match of the Garmins or better. Why? Because you can't read in Garmin in direct sunlight EITHER!!!

At least the ICOM's display has BIG NUMBERS. Thats becoming more important every year. :D
Sorry, I made a comparison to a unit I hadn't flown behind, my bad. Since my earlier post about the A210 being unreadable I have installed a Koger Sun Shade. It has made all the difference in the world. The display is now readable. I agree with you about the size and function of the display being better than just about any other radio.

I also agree with an earlier poster, the Lowrance 600C's display is worse than the A210. The 600C is my backup GPS :( At least I have a Garmin 686 with weather front and center. Now that is a world class piece of equipment.

Should know soon

I've been flying an SL40 for about 5 years now.
Hopefully I'll be flying my '8 with a 210 in it in a few weeks.
I like it on the ground, but haven't seen it in strong light yet.

The SL40's / SL30's are nice radios, but have gotten pricey. And anytime the light is right on the display it bugs me. I really don't like to have to strain to read any of the displays. Some of the GPS's (and or there color schemes) are just terrible. Garmins 696 seems pretty good for the relatively short time that I've flown it.

Sorry, I made a comparison to a unit I hadn't flown behind, my bad. Since my earlier post about the A210 being unreadable I have installed a Koger Sun Shade. It has made all the difference in the world. The display is now readable. I agree with you about the size and function of the display being better than just about any other radio.

I also agree with an earlier poster, the Lowrance 600C's display is worse than the A210. The 600C is my backup GPS :( At least I have a Garmin 686 with weather front and center. Now that is a world class piece of equipment.

My A210 has been just fine. I like the big numbers. They may be unreadable with the sun at a certain angle - I haven't noticed, but all radios are. I fly a Falcon 900 with acres of glass digits and at some sun angles it's more difficult to read (and it's a 40 mil$ jet). I like the built in intercom on the A210. Didn't have to buy and install a separate one and it's very programmable. The dual feature works fine for picking up ATIS. The SL30/40 has some nice features, but the price is about 50% higher. I paid just over $1,000 for mine in a VAF group buy. I think the SL40 (don't need no stinkin VOR) was about $1800. For what you're paying, I think the ICOM is a good radio. If you can afford to spend some extra bucks in a VFR bird, get the SL40. If you're going IFR, maybe an SL30 and an ICOM for a backup COM. I did this in my RV-6 (except I used a G-430), and made my own audio panel for about $35.00. And the 5 micro-switches was 25 of that. It had an internal op-amp to amplify my music, was 1 inch tall, 5 inches wide, and about 3 inches deep - internally fused - worked great. I'm not sure you should discount the ICOM for sunlight readability. It's good for communicating, and has 3 aux audio inputs for things like music, XM, and EFIS/EMS inputs.

Scott
RV-8 FB

My A210 has been just fine. I like the big numbers. They may be unreadable with the sun at a certain angle - I haven't noticed, but all radios are. I fly a Falcon 900 with acres of glass digits and at some sun angles it's more difficult to read (and it's a 40 mil$ jet). I like the built in intercom on the A210. Didn't have to buy and install a separate one and it's very programmable. The dual feature works fine for picking up ATIS. The SL30/40 has some nice features, but the price is about 50% higher. I paid just over $1,000 for mine in a VAF group buy. I think the SL40 (don't need no stinkin VOR) was about $1800. For what you're paying, I think the ICOM is a good radio. If you can afford to spend some extra bucks in a VFR bird, get the SL40. If you're going IFR, maybe an SL30 and an ICOM for a backup COM. I did this in my RV-6 (except I used a G-430), and made my own audio panel for about $35.00. And the 5 micro-switches was 25 of that. It had an internal op-amp to amplify my music, was 1 inch tall, 5 inches wide, and about 3 inches deep - internally fused - worked great. I'm not sure you should discount the ICOM for sunlight readability. It's good for communicating, and has 3 aux audio inputs for things like music, XM, and EFIS/EMS inputs.

Scott
RV-8 FB
Hi Scott,
Great to have your data point. Would love to find out what is different between my -7A and your -8. EDITED I have just returned from a test flight and have the intercom just about dialed in, See Post #31 this thread.

Admittedly, 80% to 90% of the time the display is pretty readable but around noon with the sun just over your shoulder you flat can not read the ICOM while the Garmin 696 GPS, the Garnin 427 transponder, the GRT EIS-4000 and the TruTrack DigiFlight II G are all very readable.

Last edited:
My Icom experience.

Gotta tell you, I really like my A210. No, the display is not absolutely optimum in direct sunlight, but neither is any display short of a VTF type like the King stuff uses. I saw very little if any difference in the display readability of the Garmin units I have flown with direct sunlight cast across the face. The big digits are actually easier for me to read, and I like that a lot. Lots of stink about the operation of the dual watch option, but it looks like a software mod may be in the making. I find it to be just fine for what it is, a way to quickly monitor a second channel when you need to. Be careful with the ribbon tape connection and keep a spare or two.
Positives are a reliable radio, that will give years of great service at a very realistic price. The RF sections are the same in the 210 as the old 200, and we all know how great a radio they are.
An Icom will be in the panel of my next project..
2 cents,
Chris

Looks like we have three different camps here

1. Those that have A210 radios and are flying them.

2. Those that have A210 radios but are not flying yet.

3. Those that don't have A210 radios but just feel a need to contribute.

I really want to hear from those in the first group that love their radio. What are they doing that I am not? Is my eye sight so bad that someone else can see digits on a completely washed out display when I can't? This isn't subjective, either you can see them or you can't, what am I doing wrong?.

EDITED

Last edited:

2. Those that have A210 radios but are not flying yet.

3. Those that don't have A210 radios but just feel a need to contribute.

I really want to hear from those in the first group that love their radio. What are they doing that I am not? Is my eye sight so bad that someone else can see digits on a completely washed out display when I can't? This isn't subjective, either you can see them or you can't, what am I doing wrong?.

If you are satisfied with the intercom operation what are your setup entries and interior configuration so I can get mine to work as good as yours. I have a stock RV-7A Slider with Classic Aero Leather Sportsman interior with their carpeting but no firewall insulation.

And I have both the Garmin SL-40 & Icom A-210 in the same radio stack. Yes, the A-210 does get totally washed out in a few lighting scenarios. Most of the time, it's okay. But the Garmin is still readable when the A-210 isn't. I do like the large frequency numbers on the A210, even though I can see the panel crystal clear...........but use glasses for far away objects.

I do use a "real" audio panel. It's a PS Engineering 8000B. This is combined with those leather mic boots from OregonAero. Between the two, and our ANR headphones, there is no static, no hiss, and just the muted rumble from the RV's engine. The 8000B's "squelch" is totally automatic. I have no firewall insulation either. Just on the floor and none on the sidewalls.

Both the Garmin and Icom are very close in regards to transmitting and picking up frequencies from distances. I have a seperate antenna for each.

IMO, the A-210 is a good radio for the difference in cost between it and the Garmin. The Garmin gets the overall prefereable nod because it's always readable in sunlight, and easier to install and remove from it's tray. And you don't have to double click when changing from the dual monitoring.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I like my A210.

I fly an A210 and use the built in intercom. I had to turn up the intercom squelch (I think that was the one) to almost the top position before it worked properly. But that did the trick and it works fine now. No complaints about the display. I use the dual frequency a lot. Just have to remember to click first and then again to talk. I like the many banks of frequencies I can store, for different trips.

Walter

And I have both the Garmin SL-40 & Icom A-210 in the same radio stack. <snip>
I do use a "real" audio panel. It's a PS Engineering 8000B. This is combined with those leather mic boots from OregonAero.

L.Adamson --- RV6A
Great, thanks. This gives me a place to start. Will order the Oregon Aero mic boots. The availabe VOX Squelch range is almost enough to get everything working. The mic boots may be what is needed.

UPDATE:
Just got back from a test flight, Gotta love it hangar is only 5 minutes from my house, to try out the intercom with new Squelch setup values. I have it almost where it needs to be. The addition of leather MicMuffs should make the intercom behaved normally. After all is working as it should I will publish the setup values I used.

I will be editing al of my earlier posts about the intercom not working acceptably. Sorry to Icom and everyone else.

Last edited:
Have an A-210 and really like it

I've got an A-210 in my 8A and really like it. The display is easy to read, it pulls frequencies from my Garmin 496, I can switch frequencies in the standby slot with one button on my stic, and flip flop with the other. I have one memory bank programmed with pertinent frequencies within my area. Each is labeled so that it actually says, tower, App, etc. I can go through several flights, listening to ATIS, talking to the tower at my airport and transitioning to the approach frequency at the nearby class C airport without ever actually touching the radio. That's a really nice feature in a fast airplane in bumpy conditions.

On cross country flights, one turn of the knob puts me in the gps memory mode. Now the select button on my stick cycles through the next frequencies that are enroute on my gps flight plan. Again, I can fly almost an entire cross country without touching the radio. The right frequencies are right there. It's important to keep gps databases up-to-date if using that feature.

I find the display very readable 90+% of the time. The only time it washes out is when the sun is low and behind me. Quickly shading the display it with my left hand while my right hand is switching frequencies from the stick solves the problem.

The only negatives:
I need to change the timing on my dual-watch function. With the default settings, I can miss a radio call while listening to ATIS on the secondary frequency. Also, it's a real pain to have to key the mike button twice to transmit in the dual watch mode. I'm not sure why they did that. Brian Chesteen has started a crusade to try and get ICOM to fix that.

YMMV
Guy

Question for those that say that the A210 gets washed out and the SL40/30 does not...

Is it impossible for the SL30/40 to get washed out or is it just as easy to wash it out but at a different angle or condition than that of the A210?

Since they both use totally different screen technology, I would assume that the SL30/40's washout angle/condition might be different from that of the A210??

Anyone have an issue with the SL30/40 when using polarized sunglasses?

Those that keep comparing Apples to Oranges when comparing these to TFT GPS screens, different technology all together. Of course a transflective screen is going to resist washout....

For me, I would have a Garmin if it were not for the price difference but I do like the A210 and if they fix some of the firmware quirks, I will like it even more. I really wanted an SL30 for the NAV functions but that will have to wait...

Last edited:
Question for those that say that the A210 gets washed out and the SL40/30 does not...

Is it impossible for the SL30/40 to get washed out or is it just as easy to wash it out but at a different angle or condition than that of the A210?

My SL40 has always been viewable. It doesn't wash out. I believe my prescription sunglasses are polarized. A friend who fly's with unpolarized, say's that his SL-40 never washes out either. Now, if Garmin would just add that 3rd frequency decimal like Icom does............ :)

L.Adamson ---- RV6A

Brian, I just finished installing a Koger Sun Shield in my RV-7A and it makes all the difference. You will more than likely have the shade pulled when the sun is in the position where it would affect the display the most. Before the shade it was possible to have the display completely washed out.

Ken9

Here's one more reason to avoid the A210.
I bought one at Oshkosh 2008 for the RV I am building.
When installing it I noticed the flimsy cable connecting the front display and was very careful to remove the display, as directed in the install manual, while installing the radio. All was fine.
A couple of weeks ago I needed to remove the radio to access something behind it so, again I carefully removed the display and carefully replaced the cable when complete.
When the radio was turned on it showed a "RX error" and behaved erratically.
Since the radio is still under warranty, I returned it for repair.
Today I got the call....cable damaged, board fried and they would do me a favor by only charging $280 for a used board, $550 for a new one.
I am so mad I would like to tell the whole world about this Micky Mouse design. I worked for a large control industrial company and I am familiar with solid electronic design. This is not even close.

Ken9

Well, I guess I will have to temper my comments a bit.
I received another call from Icom today after requesting a manager, supervisor or preferably the company president call and to explain why my radio wasn't repaired under warranty. The person who called wasn't the president but apparently had the authority to change the ruling and they will be repairing the radio under warranty.
This does not change my opinion about the quality of the unit but it does show that they are listening.

This does not change my opinion about the quality of the unit but it does show that they are listening.

That "ribbon" can be the touchy part, especially if you're attempting to install it in cold weather. I ruined one, as well as another builder in the hangar across from mine. Both were in cold temps. Other than that, the replacement is approx. $1, and they go in just fine when things are warmed up.

The ribbon does have a purpose though. It allows the full front screen to be animated, without a tray capture screw in the middle, as with other units.

As to quality, I think it's just fine for the price. It's worked well for me, but I also have a Garmin SL-40 installed right above it.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I just got mine back from ICOM for repair. It fried and I still don't know why but, man, that cable can be a pain in the neck.

The price of the radio was good when I bought it on the VAF group buy. But it just went up by $325. If I had to do it again, I'd call Stein, order an SL40 and have him make me a harness.

Of course, I haven't powered it up yet since putting it back in N614EF so I may still end up doing that. :(

As far as the ribbon cable goes, I have had mine in and out at least 25 times and it still works and looks like new. Never a problem there but I take extreme care when working around that cable.....

The radio is a great talker as it has great range (pegs my SWR meter at a full 10 watts) and a good receiver. The user interface works great and I have been flying for about 20hrs now in bright sun at all angles and elevations and have never had an issue with the screen being hard to read.

There are still some flaws in the way the dual watch (monitor) feature works and I sure wish they would make a change there. It works but could be better.

The GPS frequency tuning ability needs some tweaking as well. In its basic form, this works but could be better and they need to allow direct entry into the standby by the GPS.

Normal price has not changed much....Group buy price was a steal!

Of course, I haven't powered it up yet since putting it back in N614EF so I may still end up doing that. :(

Correction:

panel_2_may_14.jpg

Good price on A 210

I just ordered a new A 210 from Calgary pilot supply (cyberpilotshop.com) for $806 usd. If anyone is interested thats about $400 less than anywhere else I have seen. It is a Canada special but they sold one to me in the US.
FYI
Tim

As far as the ribbon cable goes, I have had mine in and out at least 25 times and it still works and looks like new. Never a problem there but I take extreme care when working around that cable.....
Icom released a service bulletin regarding this today. They have a replacement cable which is longer and should help. I've installed the A210's and even as a veteran radio tech I have damaged one myself :(

FYI I am an Icom Dealer in the US Virgin Islands. My business primarily deals with Government and Business (Land Mobile) customers. We do a small amount of avionics work too. Mostly FBO and airport comm radio.

Last edited:
Icom 210 flat ribbon

I just sent my ICOM A210 in for repair because it was continually rebooting on the main screen. The tech has told me that the ribbon cable is frayed and caused a short on the front board. This ribbon cable is an obvious design flaw. The kicker here is they are telling me that the ribbon cable was tampered with and the 8 month old radio is not covered under warranty. They are asking for $630 for the repair. Has anyone else ran in to this situation? This seems unreasonable to me but I'm curious what others think.

Hi
My 210 started to reboot by itself and the flat ribbon cable seems to be the responsible. Changing the ribbon is not a big issue, but it is not necessary. When looking at the detachable panel side, using a 20X magnifier, I saw that the cable end was is very bad condition. Some of the wires were bent or unglued or shorted. Just remove some of the rubber/plastic upstream, and cut the bad end to have the ribbon end in good condition for use again

If this cable is failing would it cause "RX error"? I trying to install a used radio I got and I'm getting this error.

Thanks

I installed my icon210 over 3 yrs ago. now has 293 hrs on it in my RV7. flawless!!! I have never not been able to read the screen! I spend 8 months a year in SUNNY florida. its mounted in my panel. intercom works perfect. I did order a spare ribbon, don't even no where I put it. haven't needed it. its been a perfect radio.

Back