What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion Survey Poll

Survey Response

• I'd like to keep my order the same, and wait on a new Quick Build kit. Delivery (TBD)

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • I'd like to modify my order and change to a standard build kit. Delivery (TBD)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, please put me on the "interested" list to receive an affected kit and stipend

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sloengineer

I thought I might start a survey to get discussion and consensus on the corrosion survey sent to QB builders. What was your choice and rationale?

• I'd like to keep my order the same, and wait until a new Quick Build kit is available (TBD) and take delivery at that time
  • I'd like to modify my order and change from a Quick Build kit to a standard build kit, and take delivery when it is available (TBD)
  • Yes, please put me on the "interested" list to receive an affected kit and stipend

We were supposed to receive our QB wing and Fuse this month (March 2021). I have a pending question in to Van's to see when ours would be fulfilled if we wait. That might change my mind if the wait is excessive.

I'm inclined to wait because of the root cause of the corrosion, which was lack of training and operator knowledge. I'm not really concerned about the corrosion, per se. I can see and correct that. But if they were not following proper instructions and incorrectly applying corrosion prevention, what other less visible processes might have been performed incorrectly? Poorly deburred holes, riveting quality, tank sealing, etc.

We were supposed to receive our QB wing and Fuse this month (March 2021). I have a pending question in to Van's to see when ours would be fulfilled if we wait. That might change my mind if the wait is excessive.

I'm inclined to wait because of the root cause of the corrosion, which was lack of training and operator knowledge. I'm not really concerned about the corrosion, per se. I can see and correct that. But if they were not following proper instructions and incorrectly applying corrosion prevention, what other less visible processes might have been performed incorrectly? Poorly deburred holes, riveting quality, tank sealing, etc.

Please explain how you can see and correct corrosion, especially in the wings and under riveted portions of the structure. I know products like Corrosion X will weep and stop corrosion, but I am really curious how you can correct it. I understand the lead time may be hard to tolerate, but is this not one of those times where it would be worth the wait to have a brand new, corrosion-free kit?

Yes, my path will be corrosion X after the paint has cured for a few months. Exterior corrosion would be removed before paint.

Back