What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anybody know anything about "Isofrax"

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
I thought about naming this thread "Attention Dan Horton" because I'm hoping he'll weigh in.

Was in the surplus half on the Yard Store the other day, where they get the castoffs from the local factories, and discovered 3 rolls of this stuff sitting in a corner.

It's obviously a fire blanket or sound deadener of some kind, and from the name, probably some kind of fiberfrax derivative. Hopefully not one that will kill you dead from breathing too much of it due to the complete lack of packaging.

This may only be used in jet engine nacelles for all I know, but does anybody have any insight into whether this would be a good option for say, firewall insulation or cowl heat shield? At $20 a roll, I'm trying to decide if there's any practical reason for me to grab a roll.

Attachments

• IMG_6253.jpg
    IMG_6253.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 129
Yeah, I saw that same thing, but I'm more looking for advice, i.e. "yeah, that worked well as floor pad under the carpet," or "no, I tried that as cowl heat shield and it was a disaster"

I also found this, states one of the uses is fire protection.

Attachments

• E8B28133-7793-4958-B7A6-8FDCD21D80D8.jpg
    E8B28133-7793-4958-B7A6-8FDCD21D80D8.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 141
Back