What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Landing Lights Did You Use?

That's it, Wondering what landing lights you all used.

Thanks!

Flyleds (https://flyleds.com/) for my TD 7.
851705646.jpg

The 14 can fit the 7 star.
1095159715.jpg

Aeroled Sunspot. Not cheap, but work great. Got an Oshkosh show special on taxi lights that were misassembled and couldn’t be sold for certified aircraft. No problem for experimental! :D

I used AeroLeds and happy with them. Watching my plane land with all the lights on gives me comfort on how easy I am to see by other pilots.

When I lived in the Boise area I was able to go in and visit the factory. If anyone else has been you will know what a nice treat that was! Seeing how the lights were made and the new products was interesting too.

If you put your hand in front of energized quad beam Flyleds lights, it will melt. Very happy with them. I fly quite a bit at night.

Microsun because when I got it, it had the widest beam I could find, and I wanted to use it as a daytime running light.

Dave

FlyLeds 7 stars in my -14A. Perfect fit in the PAR36 bracket and super bright. (ok, the thumbnail is upside down but when you click on it, it opens up right side up ???!!)

Attachments

• 20200202_104224 (Large).jpg
    20200202_104224 (Large).jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 347
Is there a reason not to go with the light kits offered with the wing kits from Van's? It seems nice to get the mounting brackets etc. If you go with a different light setup, what do you do about the mounting system? Has anyone installed "The works" by fly LED? Having all of the lighting in the wing tip is appealing except that I'm concerned there might be considerable shadow cast at the center of the aircraft during taxi.

First time builder!

Is there a reason not to go with the light kits offered with the wing kits from Van's? It seems nice to get the mounting brackets etc. If you go with a different light setup, what do you do about the mounting system? Has anyone installed "The works" by fly LED? Having all of the lighting in the wing tip is appealing except that I'm concerned there might be considerable shadow cast at the center of the aircraft during taxi.

First time builder!

I've soldered up several "Works" kits for Blake at www.flyboyaccessories.com It's a great kit and works very well. Order them from Blake, or Paul. Same great product!

Lights

I did The Works kit. I had Van's make my outboard wing skins without the landing light cutouts.

Do you notice much of a shadow directly ahead of the airplane during taxi?
Hi Dustin
The Works kit works very well in the larger wingtip light bay of the RV-7/8, but with other models including the -14 you will get some shadowing directly in front of the plane. However there's a bunch of light coming from the lights so it may not matter! An example from an RV-9 customer (thanks Mark!), which has the smallest light bay in the family:
RV9 Works Sml.jpg

The -14 comes with those lovely big light bays in the leading edges. It would be a shame not to fill them with our Combo or Quad spotlights, or for the best of the best, our Seven Stars lights. You have room for even more light that way, and the beam spreads much more evenly in front of the aircraft.
These lights can be attached directly to the W-00017 brackets supplied in the standard wing kit.
Note the spill patterns of the position lights and the landing lights on the concrete:
! Andrews crop 1 Med.jpg

Please click on the Flyleds logo to view our range!

Last edited:
Hi Dustin
The Works kit works very well in the larger wingtip light bay of the RV-7/8, but with other models including the -14 you will get some shadowing directly in front of the plane. However there's a bunch of light coming from the lights so it may not matter! An example from an RV-9 customer (thanks Mark!), which has the smallest light bay in the family:
View attachment 15320

The -14 comes with those lovely big light bays in the leading edges. It would be a shame not to fill them with our Combo or Quad spotlights, or for the best of the best, our Seven Stars lights. You have room for even more light that way, and the beam spreads much more evenly in front of the aircraft.
These lights can be attached directly to the W-00017 brackets supplied in the standard wing kit.
Note the spill patterns of the position lights and the landing lights on the concrete:
View attachment 15321

Please click on the Flyleds logo to view our range!

Thank you Paul! I appreciate the feedback.

I bought the landing light kits from Vans without "bulbs". I ordered Aero-Lights PAR36 from Amazon: [url]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N49Y147/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/URL]. Even though they are spots, they are perfect for taxiing. And they light up the runway nicely on landing but I haven't seen expensive PAR36s so I don't know how they compare. My plan was to install these and upgrade to expensive ones if the need were to arrise. It hasn't yet.

Aerosport LEDs. mounts on the cowl. Works and looks very clean. easy to install with the supplied template.

Back