What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question About Pitot / Static Testing for Transponder Certification

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I'm helping a friend with his RV-12 Annual Condition Inspection. The Transponder will need re-certification when we are finished. The plane has dual Dynon HDX and Angle of Attack. Pitot, Static and AOA all connect to the ADHRS behind the baggage bulkhead. My question… when performing the pitot / static leakage test, does the AOA need to be blocked off? Would there be a significant leak if the AOA was left open?

A static leak check is done independently of pitot or AOA.
None of the systems are interconnected.
PS: there is no requirement to do the P-S system to just check the transponder.

Last edited:
Here’s the KAI section showing the Dynon ADAHRS. You can see that the AOA, pitot and static lines are all independent of each other, so no cross venting. And I have never been able to get a good enough seal on my AOA port to perform a leak test of that line.

Attachments

• 898A6913-1F7F-4432-A7B0-9EA3728EDA52.jpg
    898A6913-1F7F-4432-A7B0-9EA3728EDA52.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 72
Tony,

Thanks for the advice. I need to have mine tested next week. The only avionics shop are is a Garmin dealer and has a disdain for Dynon. I love my HDX! Will make sure that they are aware prior to commencing the test.

Also, the Dynon Transponder checks require manual switching to ALT and GND mode.

i-Hr4kB42-L.jpg

For a VFR check there is no need to simulate altitudes with a pressure/vacuum source. Does he really need an IFR cert?

Back