What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Registration paperwork

FAA Registration

Purchase a plane in March 28, 2021 and sent in the proper paperwork. FAA paperwork came back Sept. 22, 2021. Almost exactly 6 months to the day.

Purchase a plane in March 28, 2021 and sent in the proper paperwork. FAA paperwork came back Sept. 22, 2021. Almost exactly 6 months to the day.

6 months sounds normal for a change of ownership. Initial registration for new aircraft are usually turned around within a week or two.

6 months sounds normal for a change of ownership. Initial registration for new aircraft are usually turned around within a week or two.

turn-around for my initial registration paperwork took about a month due to paperwork issues. Got the first phone call about 1 week after we submitted it, took another 3 of going back and forth before they put the registration in the mail.

My change of ownership registration via an expediter service in Oklahoma City happened overnight. THAT was money well spent.

Waited three months on a new purchase and they replied with we want more paperwork. Two and a half months later and still waiting.

Landing

As Mel said, six months was normal. I wanted to fly my new to me airplane. And I did. Today! Can't land it worth a frick, but there is always tomorrow.
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one, any landing you can reuse the plane is a great one!

As Mel said, six months was normal. I wanted to fly my new to me airplane. And I did. Today! Can't land it worth a frick, but there is always tomorrow.

Ah. I might have mis-understood the rules and accidentally dodged a bullet, but when I bought my RV, I had the previous owner sign the old registration, sent the new app in to the FAA after a few days, but flew that thing almost 30 hours while waiting for the new registration document from the FAA and never gave it a thought. Ignorance is bliss, maybe, but I thought I read that a copy of the application was all that was needed to legally fly the plane while waiting (6 months) for the re-registration to be processed.

Back