What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

“Smart board” for rv smoke system

Av8rRob

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I am researching installing a smoke system in my plane. I have a panel switch to arm the smoke but was planning on using a small stick switch to activate the smoke. Problem is the stick switch is just a microswitch so I need it to run a relay for the 5 amp pump. Ive heard that some people make smart boards that can activate the relay in a smart fashion and am interested in that. Any help would be appreciated….

P.s. I dont know jack sh%t about programming

This is can be on/off or mom on. Same item can be used to turn a fuel pump on/off or drop the flaps. Read the diagram.

I bought my original relay from O'Reilly's Auto/Aviation Supply. Cost about 0.01 AMU (or $10ish), give or take. I think it was this one:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...amp-4-terminal-relay/cti0/84601?q=relay&pos=1

It's up to you if you want your system to be ON while you're holding the switch. I don't like that, so I want it to turn the system ON with a single push of my stick button, then OFF with the second push. I strongly recommend you also run that power output to a light annunciator on your panel to let you know you have commanded ON and OFF.

I have replaced that one with a prototype relay from the former owner of Smoke System Helper. Looks like the new owner's not listing that item for sale, although it sure works fine for me. Having said that, the one from O'Reilly's worked fine too.

My stick switch is a momentary push so having a regular relay would mean I have to hold down the button. Looking for a more elegant solution if possible. I spoke to the new owner of smoke system helper and he no longer sells there smart boards.

Just personal prefence but I like a switch that is on/off and can be known in that condition without looking. This becomes important in formation, when your eyes shouldn't be inside and you forgot did you hit the button once, twice, 3 times, did the bump hit it, etc.

I have a very simple toggle switch next to the throttle, index finger easily moves it up for smoke, down for off no need to look, simple, lightweight, etc.

Again my personal preference flying with smoke and in formation often.

Just personal prefence but I like a switch that is on/off and can be known in that condition without looking. This becomes important in formation, when your eyes shouldn't be inside and you forgot did you hit the button once, twice, 3 times, did the bump hit it, etc.

I have a very simple toggle switch next to the throttle, index finger easily moves it up for smoke, down for off no need to look, simple, lightweight, etc.

Again my personal preference flying with smoke and in formation often.

Concur. I have a guarded master arm and smoke on my trigger (PTT on the throttle where it belongs). Fly 90% formation and will never unintentionally smoke. Everybody gonna like what they like.

Back