What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel strainers in left side tank

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
This is the filter element from the Left side tank on my 0 320 160HP carbed RV9. Removed for routine check, element has 380 engine hours and assuming 50% in service time would have passed about 1500 gal. Most of the grey material looks like thread or filter material from the AV gas pumps at various FBOs around NW Georgia. Although all of this would have been caught in the gascolator filter it would have had to pass thru the electric boost pump. I dont really have any concerns just thought you might be interested in what else we buy in AV100 LL

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...dKhnrhkoldp44hEIYheRL=w456-h810-no?authuser=0

Last edited:
This is the filter element from the Left side tank on my 0 320 160HP carbed RV9. Removed for routine check, element has 380 engine hours and assuming 50% in service time would have passed about 1500 gal. Most of the grey material looks like thread or filter material from the AV gas pumps at various FBOs around NW Georgia. Although all of this would have been caught in the gascolator filter it would have had to pass thru the electric boost pump. I dont really have any concerns just thought you might be interested in what else we buy in AV100 LL

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...dKhnrhkoldp44hEIYheRL=w456-h810-no?authuser=0

You don't check/clean them at each annual?

I remember the first time I checked the gascolator in my RV-6. There was a layer of red fiber in the screen.

Obviously fibers from the red shop towels I used to clean things as I built the tanks.

Actually doesn't look that bad if it's your first 380 hours and it has not been cleaned - considering when you open the cap some dust or plant material can float in there, sometimes stuff crawls into the fuel nozzle when it's stored on the pump, could even be bits from the original build.

I'd be more worried about that cork, the penny, and that o-ring - how did they get in the filter? :D

Yes Mickie, that was my opinion also. That is the fourth time I ve open these up to clean TT 830 hrs. . They are NOT easy to get to. Indications on fuel pressure will tell you when theae need any attention. The first cleaning,. With Fuel pressure below 1.5 psi alarm had the normal build material as Kyle refered to, since then fuel pressure has indicated about what you would expect when opened up. My concern initally was the smaller size of the filter and the installaton being on the suction side of the booster pump. About all this is protecting is trash in the selector valve and in the booster pump. I do have a tank screen on the tank suction but also not easy to see.

I may just leave the strainer out next time due to lack of any material being found.

Back