What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help Stamp Out Nosewheels

N941WR

Legacy Member
I have got to get me one of these. Order them here

10303878_10202610653026464_1388778573923141635_n.jpg

Judging by the differential in insurance costs between an -8 and and -8A, you would make the insurance companies very unhappy if you were able to successfully stamp out all nosewheels.

The insurance guys are either pocketing all of that extra money from you taildragger drivers, or you guys are ground looping a lot more than you're letting on.

:D ;)

Help Stamp Out Nosewheels

I'm doing my best, Bill. The Maule tailwheel for the Hatz is coming next month. :)

Lee Bottom Nose Wheel Aircraft

If Lee Bottom Stamps out Nose Wheel aircraft there would be a very small turn-out at the fall Fly-IN. Yes I have owned tail wheel aircraft just enjoying flying nose wheel RV's.

Judging by the differential in insurance costs between an -8 and and -8A, you would make the insurance companies very unhappy if you were able to successfully stamp out all nosewheels.

The insurance guys are either pocketing all of that extra money from you taildragger drivers, or you guys are ground looping a lot more than you're letting on.

:D ;)
I keep hearing this but I don't see any significant difference between NW and TW insurance for the same qualifications and same hull value.

"Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!"
:D:D
You walked into that one, buddy! :):)
Yes I did.

If you don't walk into something once in a while, you're not walking enough!

Yes, it's the rudder pedal that is "stamped" when the tail wheel is actually trying to become a nose wheel. :eek:

Bevan

...and on the 8th day God created little wheel, and he put it on the tail, and he looked upon it and said, "it is good." Then Satan came and whispered to the little wheel, "He is just trying to hold you back, you should be at the front." And so it is that evil has since been trying to convince the little wheel to move to the front and it is only by the vigilance of the feet of the righteous that the little wheel stays at the back, where God intended.

HTH

Tim

I have spent so much time sitting in my plane the last 2.5 years looking over the nose! When that tail comes up on the first take off roll, it will probably scare me to death!

I got one of each. Like them both but would not want a nose wheel on my C140 or a tail wheel on my RV-6A.

I keep hearing this but I don't see any significant difference between NW and TW insurance for the same qualifications and same hull value.

When I bought my 8A in 2013, the differential between nosewheel and tailwheel was almost $1000/year for insurance.

It's not insignificant.

When I bought my 8A in 2013, the differential between nosewheel and tailwheel was almost $1000/year for insurance.

It's not insignificant.
Jay, did you have significant tailwheel time? When I asked about insurance I was told that the first year's premium would be fairly high, since I'd have very little TW time, but it would go down after I had some number of hours (50 or 100) in tail draggers.

It's not insignificant.

I had about 300 hours TW time in five or six different makes & models when I made my first flight. My insurance was $100 more than the guy in the hangar next to me with a -7A who made his first flight a few months later.

Now there is no appreciable difference.

Besides, having your tailwheel endorsement allows you to take your biannual (now "flight") review in cool airplanes like the DHC-1, PT-17, etc., which I have done.

Jay, did you have significant tailwheel time? When I asked about insurance I was told that the first year's premium would be fairly high, since I'd have very little TW time, but it would go down after I had some number of hours (50 or 100) in tail draggers.

I had zero tailwheel time. Thus, the difference in insurance.

I'm sure once you've proven to the bureaucrats that you can fly a tailwheel safely, the insurance price difference shrinks, but for most pilots it's a significant savings to buy the -A model.

Which isn't why I bought mine, actually. When I convinced my wife, Mary, (also a pilot) that we should look at tandem seat experimental planes, she commented that this was fine, but that she wanted tricycle gear. She felt that the transition to tailwheel AND tandem seating AND experimental was too much.

Since we both fly the plane, compromise was the order of the day. And they fly exactly the same, so it's not a big deal to me.

And this is why I intend to log TW time whenever possible for the foreseeable future. I'm going on 15 hours now and I'd like to have as much experience as possible, both for financial and practical reasons. (and by practical I mean "don't bend the plane you just spent five years building")

And this is why I intend to log TW time whenever possible for the foreseeable future. I'm going on 15 hours now and I'd like to have as much experience as possible, both for financial and practical reasons. (and by practical I mean "don't bend the plane you just spent five years building")

Good advise even for NW.

Yup, plus we'd probably never be skilled enough to fly a beastly Vans TW:rolleyes:

75d2fa5434e82c21cd35c493479bf05a.jpg

....he says as he posts a picture of a tailwheel helicopter.

I would cheerfully take a turn with a nosewheel attached to anything in current fighter inventory. You could call me anything you want. Every day. Forever.

I had zero tailwheel time. Thus, the difference in insurance.

I'm sure once you've proven to the bureaucrats that you can fly a tailwheel safely, the insurance price difference shrinks, but for most pilots it's a significant savings to buy the -A model.
Just askng. I wasn't trying to imply anything or criticize... bear in mind I have no TW endorsement, no TW training, have never taken off or landed a TW airplane, and am building a tail dragger. ::shrug::

I did know the insurance cost would probably be pretty brutal the first year.

Just askng. I wasn't trying to imply anything or criticize... bear in mind I have no TW endorsement, no TW training, have never taken off or landed a TW airplane, and am building a tail dragger. ::shrug::

This was me a few months ago, but I decided to at least get started on TW training before I ordered my fuse kit and committed. I didn't think it would be an insurmountable challenge or anything, but it seemed prudent all the same.

The Citabria has been the most fun I've had flying in some time.

Reminds me of the NW Antique Aircraft Association. This show drew as many as 300 antiques, many the only examples flying, and was one of the most popular antique fly ins in the country.
I showed up with my '42 Aeronca L3 and was delegated to the back line. "Antiques have round engines", I was told.
Last year, I think there where 15 airplanes in attendance, including my Champ (one a workmanship award, how ironic). I think there where three or four round engines. The directors are now begging for anyone to show, in anything.

A couple year ago they even asked our RV formation group, West Coast Ravens, to entertain. We did, and nobody appreciated it.

Lee Bottom could be headed down the road to obscurity. Stupid.....

Last edited:

Depends. It pays to shop for insurance, the industry is very fluid.

My attitude about TW ops has changed significantly. IT IS MORE FUN probably due to the ongoing challenge and not likely to be boring. That wasn't true before the 8 came into my life. Its the same feeling one gets going off on an alternate engine trip - something to keep the fire burning inside.

The nose wheel came into being out of safety concerns, TW ops is more difficult and always has been. But most guys learn it, adjust their flying habits and end up liking it.

In the past week I flew the 8, flew with a friend in the 7, and again in the 8. There is a difference in the gear system that requires your attention in the 7 (and 6 also). It is less forgiving than the stiff 8 gear legs.

Too bad you are committed to the 7 or I would have helped you decide to go with the 8. :)

Last edited:
Reminds me of the NW Antique Aircraft Association. This show drew as many as 300 antiques, many the only examples flying, and was one of the most popular antique fly ins in the country.
I showed up with my '42 Aeronca L3 and was delegated to the back line. "Antiques have round engines", I was told.
Last year, I think there where 15 airplanes in attendance, including my Champ (one a workmanship award, how ironic). I think there where three or four round engines. The directors are now begging for anyone to show, in anything.

A couple year ago they even asked our RV formation group, West Coast Ravens, to entertain. We did, and nobody appreciated it.

Lee Bottom could be headed down the road to obscurity. Stupid.....

There's a lot to be said for the stability of diverse systems. In nature, species diversity is essential for the survival of the community. It appears you have an example of diversity being essential to the survival of an antique aircraft show. Likewise, as Van's has recognized diversity in both aircraft models and landing gear design has made for an effective (stable or growing) business model. Anyone that seriously seeks to limit diversity - and there are folks everywhere in religion, politics, and alas aviation that do - are just showing either intolerance or ignorance about what makes for a stable or growing community. And to be clear, ignorance is a lack of knowledge which is curable and very different from stupidity which isn't curable.

My airport struggles to make ends meet. If you cut out the fuel sales (and profits) from nose wheel aircraft, the tail wheel survivors would need to find anther airport for fuel, hanger space, and maintenance services. If you stamped out nose wheel aircraft, Oshkosh would be a shadow of it's former self. How many independent IA's could survive with only tail wheel aircraft? Certainly "enough" would survive far less than we have today.I dare say the existence of nose wheel aircraft is a major supporter of the services we all need to keep private aviation alive.

I suppose the OP may have started out in jest but I find the idea rather ignorant.

Too bad your are committed to the 7 or I would have helped you decide to go with the 8. :)
I really did consider the 8. There's really nothing I don't like about the 8 for solo flying. What tipped the scales for me is that my wife and I have many miles on our Harley, and while she says she doesn't mind riding tandem, I would just prefer side by side seating. Simply put, I'd rather have my honey beside me than behind me.

So obviously I need two airplanes, right? :)

Fly a nose wheel and hang out with Tail wheel pilots you can have the best of all worlds.
Fly the most comfortable, look out your canopy and see the best looking, and get ridiculed at every stop so you never get over confident in your abilities.:)

In February I bought a completed 8 in Arizona far away from my home. Knowing I would buy an 8 I sought out training in Citabrias then finally got checked out by the best, Mike Seagar in his RV-7. I felt prepared until I flew the 8 for the first time. Holy cow!

I tried for three days in Arizona to 3 point the 8. I think I actually did maybe twice. Still wasn't pretty. All the other attempts scared the living **** out of me. The density altitude was at around 6000 and I never experienced that kind of ground speed before, plus I was coming in way too fast.

On the third day, I read how to land an RV-8 here on VAF. Saw tons of posts from guys like David, Dan, Paul and others I've come to trust and respect over the years. Now I wheel it on and its amazing. Occasionally I can convert a bad wheelie into a nice 3 pt. Takes awhile to get that confidence back.

Like David said, its challenging and fun. I'm having a blast. Got to pay attention and keep those feet alive. So glad I made this decision.

Now I understand why my insurance is so high.

I could of got my insurance way lower, like $300.00, had I received an additional 10 hours (Total of 20) training in type. Looking back on my experience, I wish I would have done that since I'm a low-time newbie.

Your experience is parallel with a buddy of mine. He trained in a Citabria and then picked up his 8 and flew it. Same trouble with 3 pointers. I told him what I would encourage you to do. There will times when you will not want that tail up in the air. Don't leave 3 point landings out of your tool box! Get the training and get proficient.
Also, have you insured your gear alignment is good? (sorry for the drift)

I bought my -6 with no TW time, as a matter fact I didn't even have a Single Engine rating at the time. :rolleyes:

I did the ASEL add on and then flew with Mike Seager the next week. About 9 hours in the -7 and I had my insurance blessing and TW endorsement, I left from there to go to Alabama to pick up the airplane.

I had already made arraignments with Jenny at NationAir for insurance. I had no hour requirements, just needed to get the sign-off from Mike. First year was right at $1300 for pretty standard limits with a $45,000 hull with the underwriter I chose. The second year was about $900 with the same hull and better coverage overall. I don't think these numbers are completely out of line with what I would have been quoted for a nosedragger.

Likewise, as Van's has recognized diversity in both aircraft models and landing gear design has made for an effective (stable or growing) business model.

Landing gear placement is a choice by the design engineer. Some airplanes make sense to have the "taxi" wheel in front and others in back. The RV series is one of the very few designes that seems to have little compromise for the location of the third wheel.
I do not want to stamp out people that want to paint their airplane orange with green poka dots so why would I want to stamp out people that have chosen a different gear arrangement, especially since it has very little performance or safety compromise. OSH would really be boring with row after row of white, low wing, 4 cylinder, tail wheel aircraft.

WELL STATED!

Landing gear placement is a choice by the design engineer. Some airplanes make sense to have the "taxi" wheel in front and others in back. The RV series is one of the very few designes that seems to have little compromise for the location of the third wheel.
I do not want to stamp out people that want to paint their airplane orange with green poka dots so why would I want to stamp out people that have chosen a different gear arrangement, especially since it has very little performance or safety compromise. OSH would really be boring with row after row of white, low wing, 4 cylinder, tail wheel aircraft.

Agree 100%.

Bill R. would know...

If you don't walk into something once in a while, you're not walking enough!

And if you don't taxi into something on a taxiway every once in awhile, you're piloting a nose wheel aircraft. With, like, visibility and stuff :D

Back