What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spar pin gauge

P51krause

Almost complete with the annual and yet another item has popped up. Using the spar pin gauge it fits fine in all the hole but on the left wing inner pin when I turn the gauge 360 degrees in the hole it catches a bit (out of round) but never goes below the gauge step. Is this a pass or a fail for anyone experiencing this? Since the wing to fuselage strip was added it has become almost an act of the lord to get the pins to fit. So for the last two years since installing the strip we have pounded, rocked, and used a wooden dowel to get the pins to finally get in. I think this may have distorted the bushing a bit. So again my question is, does it still pass if the gauges never goes below the gauge step? It’s super tight but gets tighter in one area when spinning the gauge 360 degrees. Also if I have to replace the bushing, anybody done this and can shed some insight how to do it? Thanks in advance

Using the spar pin gauge it fits fine in all the hole but on the left wing inner pin when I turn the gauge 360 degrees in the hole it catches a bit (out of round) but never goes below the gauge step. Is this a pass or a fail for anyone experiencing this?

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer nor am I a Vans representative.

It seems to me that the gauge is meant to show if the hole is too large. If at no point the gauge cannot go all the way in then I would assess this to be a "PASS."

You might try an exhaust pipe internal expanding tool to "pull" bushings into alignment rather than beat on the spar pins until they're fully engaged. Just say'n....
-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 10.53.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 10.53.25 AM.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 41
You might try an exhaust pipe internal expanding tool to "pull" bushings into alignment rather than beat on the spar pins until they're fully engaged. Just say'n....
-

Yes we are trying that this year. Waiting on a reply from Vans to see if it passes. The expanding tool though was a “small” tail pipe expander not medium. I had to return my medium expander as it’s too large. Just got the small expander and looks like it will work. Again just waiting on word from Vans if the gauge test passed. Hope so. Thanks for the reply, and I’ll post if it passes and all is well.

Talked to Vans support. Just fyi, if the gauge does not go beyond the step it passes even if there are a few “catches” while spinning the gauge around the bushing. So good to go. Thanks for all replies and fly safe

I used my wing pin cam ( I made in my lathe ) to move the wings in then install the W-1217 pins and secure in place.

Builder Note: Insert and turn until it goes in the forward spar, then turn until the wing is pulled in enough to install vans pin in the opposite side. Then push the cam tool in the rear spar, then turn until the rear spar is in place.

This works better than I expected, compresses the rubber seal with no effort.

Photo At

http://joesrv12.com/Builder Log/bl_30_03.htm

Last edited:
Back