What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting a 9a to a 9

agirard7a

Well Known Member
I've been flying an Rv-3 and am considering
converting my 9a to a tail dragger.
Can anyone shed some light on what would be involved
With an almost completed 9a? Just finished the main
wheel pants and gear leg fairings. Cowling is finished.
Anyone out there want to trade some parts?

I got all info you need Al. Greg Arehard kindly provided me with list of parts and the method of conversion. I will email you later in the day it's on a home desktop.

Rear bulkhead doubler and tailwheel

I have the rear bulkhead and tail wheel assembly in a box. Pm if interested.
I also have a conical mount with both nose wheel and conventional gear weldments for those who may want to convert back....

Last edited:
Tail wheel

Sent you a PM Grubbat. Thanks Vlad. Does this mean
Your thinking of going to the other side?

Sent you a PM Grubbat. Thanks Vlad. Does this mean
Your thinking of going to the other side?

Emails with MS Word attachment are on the way to those who provided address.

Al, I was thinking about conversion before my Alaskan Trip. Now I am parked outside and am so busy I barely have time to fly. Likely conversion won't happen within couple three years.

Vlad
Please send me the list and the method of conversion as well as I am also considering the same thing with my 6A.
Thanks

Vlad
Please send me the list and the method of conversion as well as I am also considering the same thing with my 6A.
Thanks

Sure just PM me your email address. The attachment couldn't be sent via forum.

9A to 9

Over the last couple months in the process my airframe rebuild I have done the 9A to 9 conversion from the wing spar forward. It takes some building skill but not overly difficult. I could answer questions and have some photos. Haven't gotten to the tail yet.

Don Broussard
RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Email: [email protected]

Conversion

Over the last couple months in the process my airframe rebuild I have done the 9A to 9 conversion from the wing spar forward. It takes some building skill but not overly difficult. I could answer questions and have some photos. Haven't gotten to the tail yet.

Don Broussard
RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Email: [email protected]

Hi Don, I'm interested in your Info on this conversion as I am seriously considering it for my 9A ,if you could share I would really appreciate it.
You can PM me if you would like .
Thanks ,
Andy

Main reason

Hi, I'm currious as to what the major reason for doing the 9a to 9 conversion is? Thanks, for any input, I'm building a 9 in NH.

I've been flying an Rv-3 and am considering
converting my 9a to a tail dragger.
Can anyone shed some light on what would be involved
With an almost completed 9a? Just finished the main
wheel pants and gear leg fairings. Cowling is finished.
Anyone out there want to trade some parts?

Anyone interested in converting, I can offer some advice as I converted my 7A after flying it for 5 years. Please send a PM.

Al, if you finished the cowl and have not matched it to your fuselage via the piano hinge, I would hold off as the alignment will change in most cases. I had to trim mine almost 1/2" & this required removing the hinge, replacing & realigning.:(

Otherwise, the conversion is not a big deal & I'm happy I made the change.

I would be happy to answer any questions on the conversion either here or via email. Vlad has a copy of my word document that describes the process and parts changes needed, or I can share the same.

Greg

"Heavy Breathing"

2nk6sck.jpg

I have the rear bulkhead and tail wheel assembly in a box. Pm if interested.
I also have a conical mount with both nose wheel and conventional gear weldments for those who may want to convert back....
Please send me details of parts you want to sell

Not that I own a -9 but this sounds like a major mod to me. I understand about the cowling work, and structural work necessary to add a tailwheel.

But what do you do to change the CG so that the plane sits on it's tail?

Can someone give a 2-3 sentence description of the concept? I'm fascinated.

thanks!

Not that I own a -9 but this sounds like a major mod to me. I understand about the cowling work, and structural work necessary to add a tailwheel.

But what do you do to change the CG so that the plane sits on it's tail?

Can someone give a 2-3 sentence description of the concept? I'm fascinated.

thanks!

No change is necessary. The new engine mount moves the landing gear forward (The taildragger's main gear attaches to the engine mount.) of the CG so the plane naturally sits tail low.

FYI - A models tend to be tail heavy when compared to tail draggers. The reason is the heavy main gear is aft of the CG and total does not offset the tail wheel.

Last edited:
No change is necessary. The new engine mount moves the landing gear forward (The taildragger's main gear attaches to the engine mount.) of the CG so the plane naturally sits tail low.

FYI - A models tend to be tail heavy when compared to tail draggers. The reason is the heavy main gear is aft of the CG and total does not offset the tail wheel.

Bill's correct.
My CG ARM moved forward slightly after conversion and empty weight lowered.
7A - 1081 lbs, 81.88
7 - 1065 lbs, 81.11
I did remove the gear weldments

Back