What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How High RV-12

Peterk

Well Known Member
Just curious how high the 912ULS RV12 will really go. I have been to 14,500 over mountains in Wyoming and the plane was more than willing to go higher. I'm thinking some of the Europeans regularly fly higher?

Pete

Europeans

Not mainy Europeans have RV-12s. Only three flying to my knowledge. I have been to 13000 feet in mine to ensure I cleared the highest ground in Scotland at 4404 feet ;-) I chickened out at that height, though the plane was still climbing fine.

No real need to go that high in Europe. Mont Blanc in the Alps is 14000+ feet, but there's plenty of opportunity to go around. 12000 is generally high enough (11000 is probably OK) to traverse anywhere in the Alps.

I have done a little flying in Colorado. One big difference is the valleys in Colorado are at high altitude. There's not a great vertical difference between the valleys and the mountain tops in Colorado. In the Alps, the tops are typically somewhat lower than the Rockies, but the valleys are way lower.

I learned to fly in Annemasse (France) just 50 miles or so from Mont Blanc. Annemasse is at 1600 feet, so to fly over Mont Blanc requires a climb of 12000 feet.

Cheers...Keith

Last edited:
12,000 and climbing...

For what its worth .....I stopped at 12,000 / 45 deg F OAT and she was still climbing at 500 ft/min @ 80 Kts / 5150 RPM. It was me at 210 lbs and a 1/2 tank of gas.

Paris man, next time I come to see you we're going to work on that 3500.....maybe 4500 ???:p

Gary Eldridge

How high with a 912iS in it

if you can get a 912iS into a 12 you might see numbers like this...

" the higher you go the advantage of the fuel injection will be seen. In talks with the engineering staff a Tecnam test aircraft was taken to higher than 18,000 ft and was still climbing better than 100 feet per min.....cant do that with the standard 912, no way."

Obviously you'll need some way to breath up there.

-- Mark

I went to 12,500' and cut the engine to glide back down, engine out. The -12 makes a fair glider also! ;)

For what its worth .....I stopped at 12,000 / 45 deg F OAT and she was still climbing at 500 ft/min @ 80 Kts / 5150 RPM. It was me at 210 lbs and a 1/2 tank of gas.

Paris man, next time I come to see you we're going to work on that 3500.....maybe 4500 ???:p

Gary Eldridge

Don't you know Paris man is afraid of hights.:)

if you can get a 912iS into a 12 you might see numbers like this...

" the higher you go the advantage of the fuel injection will be seen. In talks with the engineering staff a Tecnam test aircraft was taken to higher than 18,000 ft and was still climbing better than 100 feet per min.....cant do that with the standard 912, no way."

Obviously you'll need some way to breath up there.

-- Mark

The 12 climbs better than any Tecnam. You're right though, the 12 probably would not reach 18,000. Just still curious if anyone has been higher than 14,500...that is not the limit...it still wants to climb at that altitude.

Pete

clarification please

So if I build a dead stock RV12 as a LSA and certify it as a LSA, but I am flying it with a current PPL and 3rd class medical, can I fly higher than 10,000' MSL legally? Assume I have oxygen on board for more than 30 minutes of flight time.

Yes!

See post #12.

The altitude limitation is a sport pilot limit, not an aircraft limit.

If you are a private pilot with a current medical, you can fly the RV-12 or any other light-sport aircraft higher than 10,000'.

Back