What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 9-03 step 2

pietermk

Well Known Member
good morning,

My question is regarding the step mentioned above but ran into it when going thru page 9-05 step 4. When getting ready to rivet the counter sunk holes with the CS4-4 rivets when I noticed I did not have enough of the CS4-4 rivets. Going back to page 9-03 I figured out that I used the CS4-4 in more than the 2 places mentioned in the instructions

7bFC7qkTvcf1T5tWs-Jd7Yehijotkjg00kuu9IsBAds
In this picture you see a CS4-4 rivet in the right holes and I already drilled out the one from the left hole. When doing this I was wondering when these holes would be riveted. I went through several builders logs and the instructions but it seems that they are not riveted at all.
in this second picture https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/s9DHkn3dY9IY3ImtSmDSCIehijotkjg00kuu9IsBAds?feat=directlink you see the end of the spar box and the CS4-4 rivet is still in, should I removed it, should it stay and I missed it somewhere in the instructions?

I already received extra CS4-4 rivets from Vans but want to make sure if and when to rivets the "middle holes" of the spar doublers and spar caps

thanks

Peter

Cs4-4 rivets

Peter,

The first pic isn't all that clear as far as showing if you have countersunk any other -4 holes other than the one in the picture (with the rivet in it). HS-1211 only has 2 of -4 countersink holes in each spar caps (as well as the 4 of -3 c/s holes). 1 in the centre of each of the centre 2 upper and lower spar caps through HS-1212 ribs (revision 0 12/18/08) see page 09-02 most left item in pic.)

AJSWA

I do not want to take the time to figure out when that hole gets a rivet. Instead, I offer some general advice.
Follow the plans exactly.
Keep in mind that the stabilator spar gets covered with skin. Therefore no rivet heads should be sticking up in the way of the skin.
Before closing up any part with skin, make sure that every hole has a rivet or that it will be riveted when the skin is riveted in place.
Read ahead in the plans so that you understand how everything fits together.
Looking at Figure 3 on page 09-08 might answer your specific question.
I have posted hints that might be helpful.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=70542
Joe Gores

I second what Joe says. I went through the same process of questioing this and wondering why, then read ahead and then followed the plans exactly.

Peter,

The first pic isn't all that clear as far as showing if you have countersunk any other -4 holes other than the one in the picture (with the rivet in it). HS-1211 only has 2 of -4 countersink holes in each spar caps (as well as the 4 of -3 c/s holes). 1 in the centre of each of the centre 2 upper and lower spar caps through HS-1212 ribs (revision 0 12/18/08) see page 09-02 most left item in pic.)

AJSWA

thanks for your reply, I did countersink the other holes

Peter

I do not want to take the time to figure out when that hole gets a rivet. Instead, I offer some general advice.
Follow the plans exactly.
Keep in mind that the stabilator spar gets covered with skin. Therefore no rivet heads should be sticking up in the way of the skin.
Before closing up any part with skin, make sure that every hole has a rivet or that it will be riveted when the skin is riveted in place.
Read ahead in the plans so that you understand how everything fits together.
Looking at Figure 3 on page 09-08 might answer your specific question.
I have posted hints that might be helpful.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=70542
Joe Gores

Joe & John, thanks I understand what you are saying, RTFML LOL I will look at the specific step you referenced. I made the mistake of putting the CS4-4 rivets in all the center holes but can easily drill them out.

Thanks again

Peter

Rv 12 spar box

I agree with reading the plans closely!

Next , the first picture referenced is the inner most set. That set of holes will NOT be covered by the skins. The next one outside of that WILL be under the skins and the hole spacing will require you to use the forward center and aft holes for the skin.

The same for the outboard most set.

Back