What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OP-62 Published for IO-390-EXP119 engine installation

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We've published OP-62, which includes those construction steps that are specific to the IO-390-EXP119 installation for an RV-14/14A. This document, in direct combination with the applicable referenced RV-14/14A KAI sections, is used when installing this option package. We've posted this OP section as a reference for those who may be considering this option and wish to review it.

In it, you will find instructions and drawings related to various key items such as the exhaust ramp cooling flap and mechanism, firewall fittings, snorkle, cowl, exhaust, cables and control connections, and more.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/op-62/

Thx,

greg

Has anyone done this tunnel close out/cooling door mod to a flying -14? Looking at the plans it seems fairly straight forward. I’ve looked through the threads but don’t see that anyone has retro-fitted it yet. Got a condition inspection coming soon and it would be a good time to do this if there’s enough of a benefit.

Greg,

I had done a challenging modification to the RV-14A snorkel that came with my kit to adapt it to the FM200 a couple of years ago.

The first one that I modified was a throw-away, the second one came out better and I did take it to Don Rivera who put it on his air flow test stand and said that it worked to spec for the FM200.

I am wondering if the snorkel that is provided now for the IO-390 w/ the cold air sump is something that I should install as it may provide a better air flow.

I know how tight all of the install clearances are around the front of the engine in the cowl and my conditions may preclude me from attempting to do that. The last 90 degree turn into the throttle body is the critical point to get adequate and smooth airflow, which the newest snorkel might do better.

Do you have any thoughts about trying that?

Part CT-00102

I am currently working on the first section of KAI OP-62 and it references a grommet (CT-00102) for routing cables through the firewall. I am not finding the grommet in our kit parts. Is this something that comes with the firewall forward kit?

Yes, it’s in the firewall forward kit. I ordered it early when building my firewall and omitted when ordering firewall forward.

Greg,

Other than the lateral spacing of the tail pipes, which would require a modification to the cooling exit region, is it known whether that cross-over exhaust would fit inside the angle-valve RV-8 cowl? I'm thinking of the IO-390-119EXP for my next -8.

I love the integrated heat muffs, and the overall layout of everything looks great.

Greg,

Other than the lateral spacing of the tail pipes, which would require a modification to the cooling exit region, is it known whether that cross-over exhaust would fit inside the angle-valve RV-8 cowl? I'm thinking of the IO-390-119EXP for my next -8.

I love the integrated heat muffs, and the overall layout of everything looks great.

Have you considered a Thunderbolt but a “non” EXP-119? All you’re really gaining with the EXP-119 is the cold-air induction…..and the 200mm throttle body, which you can opt for on a non EXP-119. On my-14 build, I’m basically doing a “home-brew” EXP-119. I’m installing the Superior cold-air induction and I had Clint (Vettermans) build an exhaust system for me. He builds a really nice “trombone” exhaust for the -14 with the Superior cold-air intake and I’d be willing to bet he builds the same for the -8 with a similar Superior cold-air/390 setup.

Have you considered a Thunderbolt but a “non” EXP-119? All you’re really gaining with the EXP-119 is the cold-air induction…..and the 200mm throttle body, which you can opt for on a non EXP-119. On my-14 build, I’m basically doing a “home-brew” EXP-119. I’m installing the Superior cold-air induction and I had Clint (Vettermans) build an exhaust system for me. He builds a really nice “trombone” exhaust for the -14 with the Superior cold-air intake and I’d be willing to bet he builds the same for the -8 with a similar Superior cold-air/390 setup.

I've actually been thinking of doing this exact thing. (except using a Sky Dynamics plenum, or one of my own design). But it still leaves the matter of the exhaust. Why have Clint do something special if the EXP-119 exhaust from Vans will fit in the -8?

I've actually been thinking of doing this exact thing. (except using a Sky Dynamics plenum, or one of my own design). But it still leaves the matter of the exhaust. Why have Clint do something special if the EXP-119 exhaust from Vans will fit in the -8?

Clint’s Trombone pipe is specifically designed to work with the Superior cold-air intake/sump system. He “may” make a crossover pipe that’ll also work with the Superior and/or the Sky Dynamics unit, but that’d be something you’d have to discuss with him. I also have no idea if the Vans crossover pipe would work with the Superior and/or the Sky Dynamics intake or not??

Back