What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 10-08 Static lines

pietermk

Well Known Member
Hello group,

I am putting the static lines in and in some builder logs I see people using Blue RTV silicone. My question is where to put the silicone and why. Is it to glue the tube to the ports and other parts so they can't come off? Secondly I am concerned about silicone getting in the way of the "airflow". Would the static pressure be influenced if some silicone would block the opening of a tube or connector piece?

thanks and happy fathers day

Peter

Peter,

Just did this step. Partially start the tubbing onto the static port rivet...then apply the rtv to tubbing and rivet (surrounding the rivet area) to hold tubbing securely... This way you won't get any rtv inside the tubbing.

Forgot add...once you rtv the tubbing/rivet; slide the tubbing all the way onto the rivet.

Last edited:
Peter,

Just did this step. Partially start the tubbing onto the static port rivet...then apply the rtv to tubbing and rivet (surrounding the rivet area) to hold tubbing securely... This way you won't get any rtv inside the tubbing.

Forgot add...once you rtv the tubbing/rivet; slide the tubbing all the way onto the rivet.

Thanks Ric great advise.

Peter

Also be sure you are using non-corrosive RTV. Some RTV out there can be harmful to aluminum.

I suspect the corrosive stuff is the bath tub caulk that smells like vinegar (acidic?). Does anybody know if that's correct? I get my RTV at Auto Zone. It doesn't have the vinegar smell and I haven't noticed any corrosion.

Use Sensor Safe

A little late on this but it is my understanding that if the RTV sealant says it is ?sensor safe?, you are using a non-corrosive form of sealant ? have not heard anything to the contrary.

I too purchased my RTV at an automotive supply store ... blue Permatex and it states on the tube it is sensor safe. It does not have the heavy vinegar smell that bath and general-purpose silicone sealants typically do.

John

Back