What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 10-03 Step 1 tail skid question

pietermk

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I am working on this part and am wondering how far back I have to cut off 45 degree part. In my RV12 help DVD they state 1 inch, looking at some builder logs it seems shorter then that. I can't decipher the instructions to know how big of piece to cut off.

can anyone shed a light on this?

thanks

Peter

Peter, the 1" dimension works just fine. Good rule of thumb: When in doubt, do what Van's says.

I'm not sure if that particular cut is for weight savings or if it's necessary to prevent interference with the stabilator counterbalance arm. Just in case it's the latter, safer to stick to the plans.

Peter, the 1" dimension works just fine. Good rule of thumb: When in doubt, do what Van's says.

I'm not sure if that particular cut is for weight savings or if it's necessary to prevent interference with the stabilator counterbalance arm. Just in case it's the latter, safer to stick to the plans.

well that is my problem I can't figure it out form the plans. the 1 inch comes from the Homebuildhelp DVD for the RV12

Cut and move on

Peter, I looked at my pictures that I took during my construction and unfortunately the only picture I have is blurred. It appears that the cut is to ensure clearance of the counter balance arm. If I remember correctly, I marked an inch down the piece and made the angle cut on the bandsaw and kept moving along. If you want my blurred picture, send me your email and I will send it to you.

80101979.jpg
[/URL]

Now that you pointed it I saw it. I could not understand the picture, I saw the 1 in the drawing, it is one of those cases I have had before where I can't recognize the 3D aspect.

Peter

See where it says match drill #30 (two places)? I suggest just doing one of those (the one on the right), then match drill the other 15 when it's on the bulkhead assembly. Cleco as you go and make sure the threaded end of the skid plate is centered between the two flanges on the bulkhead. Click here to see my blog post on the topic. Oh, and don't try to use a cheap tap handle when tapping that 3/8" hole. Good luck.

Last edited:
The 3-D views will get even more 'tricky' when you get to the seat backs (in the fuselage kit). You REALLY have to study the drawings on those, and even still, another glance at the plans can show them multiple ways- as far as what your mind initially thinks you are seeing.

See where it says match drill #30 (two places)? I suggest just doing one of those (the one on the right), then match drill the other 15 when it's on the bulkhead assembly. Cleco as you go and make sure the threaded end of the skid plate is centered between the two flanges on the bulkhead. Click here to see my blog post on the topic. Oh, and don't try to use a cheap tap handle when tapping that 3/8" hole. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip Kevin and your build log is now on my list of logs that use when building.

Peter

The 3-D views will get even more 'tricky' when you get to the seat backs (in the fuselage kit). You REALLY have to study the drawings on those, and even still, another glance at the plans can show them multiple ways- as far as what your mind initially thinks you are seeing.

I know I have had it before where my eyes were just not able to see it from the right perspective.

Peter

There are a half dozen of those scattered thru the pages. Some are such optical illusions that even when you finally know what it is supposed to be, it still looks screwy.

Back