Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Installing this stiffener in a completed aircraft would be a good contender for a quality adhesive.
Any suggestion on "quality adhesive"?

Donations Paid- Thank you VAF!
Old 05-14-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmat View Post
Any suggestion on "quality adhesive"?
Some of the UV curing urethanes are quite strong. This is what your dentist uses to rebuild damaged teeth and they take A LOT of abuse. I used one to attach my targa strip. Also, the Gflex from West systems is supposedly pretty strong on aluminum adhesion, but suspect it may cure hard and I think this application may be better served by an adhesive with some flex to it.

Use caution, as many adhesives that work well on steel don't do nearly as well on aluminum; std west epoxy is a good example. Also, adhesive should go on within one hour of scuffing the aluminum, else the oxide layers degrades adhesion performance. I would use an aggressive grit and not just a scotch pad.

Some auto body panels are held on with structural adhesives and you will find some strong stuff from 3M and others in this area.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 05-14-2021 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:26 AM

Thanks! I will look into some different suppliers. I will also need to install a targa top on mine so I might be picking you brain on that one in the coming future.

D

Donations Paid- Thank you VAF!
Old 05-14-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
FWIW, my non-stiffened tip-up was 18 years old when the (poorly) factory-welded brackets where the front rib section connects to the pivot arms failed on both sides. It seems pretty clear to me that the flexing over the years caused it, although the poor weld didn't help... It it had barely melted into the substrate, and essentially peeled apart. It wouldn't come apart in flight due to everything else around it, but you could see the gap at the front corners of the canopy while in the air.
Thanks for that insight, Rob. Looked over my welds today and they look pretty good. Except for the one that is missing. I'll put that check on my condition inspection checklist.