What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ducati VR 'Upgrade' question...

pstraub

Well Known Member
When I built my -12 back in 2016/2017, the KAI had just been modified and had me install my Ducati VR in the cabin (under avionics shelf on passenger side). So that is exactly what I did. In my 3+ years (205 hours) of flying, I have had no problems. As a preventive maintenance measure, I would like to replace it soon with the new B&C AVC1 VR per Van's recent Service Letter 00034.

I really don't want to cut my upper cowl and install the NACA scoop. I guess my questions is....has anyone installed the Silent Hektik or the new B&C VR inside the cabin?? Since the Ducati VR has been fine there, I hate to move it forward of the firewall unless there are compelling reasons? If Van's no longer supports that location, I guess I will have to move it and cut my upper cowl.

Van's announced an 'upgrade' kit if you want to replace your Ducati VR, Part# 12 REGULATOR KIT-1, but it assumes you will be installing the NACA scoop and mounting the new VR up on the firewall. I don't know if that kit would allow me to install it in the cabin, where my original Ducati is. Not sure if I would need additional cabling, etc. If anyone has installed a new VR in the cabin, or has any comments in general on this issue, I would really appreciate it. Maybe Scott or Greg will chime in. Thanks!!

After looking at the SL 00034, it looks like there are still problems with the Ducati regulator. As I did not like the initial location at the firewall that resulted in multiple instances of failures (my RV-12 included) at around 100 hours I decided to relocate my VR inside the cooling tunnel of the lower cowl rather than inside the cockpit as recommended by VANs. This process is described there:
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?p=969272#post969272

I have the feeling that the relocation process I used is easier to do, does not affect the upper cowl and does not require to buy a new regulator. I have since doing this modification added 300 hours on my Hobbs without any problem with my Ducati VR.

No matter the make or model or mounting location, the secret to long voltage
regulator life is to keep it cool. Be sure to use heat conductive paste between
metal parts of the regulator and the mounting surface. Forced air cooling helps too.
I replaced the Ducatti with a AM101406 regulator from eBay. It sells for as little
as $18 with free shipping. It has lasted 4 years so far. My regulator is in the
original 2010 location on the firewall shelf. I also installed an air blast tube
connected to the water radiator air duct.

Joe -

I rec'd a PM today asking for help with wiring diagram for the JD VR. I did a VAF RV-12 search for old thread and came up empty. Also having trouble locating my notes and photos from when I did install four years ago.

Do you have information to share?

Thanks, Jim

Search eBay for AM101406.
Connect large yellow wires from alternator to pins labeled "AC".
"B+" is output to aircraft main power bus.
L (Lamp) is not connected.
"IGW" connects to small yellow control wire.
Make sure that master switch is off while connecting wires.

Last edited:
VR

When I bought my RV-12 the Ducati VR was mounted on the shelf in the engine compartment behind the radiator. It was getting the wind stream and heat from the radiator.

I installed a Silent Hetik that I bought from a motor cycle shop in England. I didn't want to damage the paint on my cowling by installing a NACA vent, so I copied someone who had posted pictures on this site. I installed a blast tube that gets its air from the tunnel on the pilot's side of the cowling that supplies air to the radiator. It has been installed for a couple of years now and works fine. I am attaching some pictures. Again, this was not my idea. I got it on this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_4614.jpeg
    IMG_4614.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_4607.jpeg
    IMG_4607.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_4606.jpeg
    IMG_4606.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4605.jpeg
    IMG_4605.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
I had a firewall mounted Ducotti VR fail at 180 hours, I relocated it into the cockpit, but I put it on the firewall LH side just above rudder pedals. Its easy to get to for replacement, I put a couple of washers behind it to keep firewall heat transfer down. It has been working fine so far for 200 hours, I carry a spare just in case in a small tool bag. I used a Laser thermometer to see what the op temperature is during summer and its about 140F...heat seems to be the enemy so I'd say keep it in cockpit.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. Has anyone out there installed the Silent Hektik or new B&C AVC1 inside the cabin (attached to bottom of avionics shelf on passenger side)? This is where my original Ducati VR is still installed and I would like to keep it there but upgrade to the B&C if that makes sense and is physically possible. Thanks again.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. Has anyone out there installed the Silent Hektik or new B&C AVC1 inside the cabin (attached to bottom of avionics shelf on passenger side)? This is where my original Ducati VR is still installed and I would like to keep it there but upgrade to the B&C if that makes sense and is physically possible. Thanks again.

I have the Silent Hektik regulator mounted below the avionics shelf and it’s been fine for 60 hours since installation. I changed from the Ducati prior to any failure just as a precaution. I do run with all lighting on at all times and have a dual G3X touch, autopilot, GDL50R ADS-B IN, GPS20A and an iPad running from the Aux socket so close to maximum electrical load. The SH regulator hardly gets more than warm to the touch - definitely not hot.

I have the Silent Hektik regulator mounted below the avionics shelf and it’s been fine for 60 hours since installation. I changed from the Ducati prior to any failure just as a precaution. I do run with all lighting on at all times and have a dual G3X touch, autopilot, GDL50R ADS-B IN, GPS20A and an iPad running from the Aux socket so close to maximum electrical load. The SH regulator hardly gets more than warm to the touch - definitely not hot.

Thanks Harry, very good info. With that in mind, I would assume the new B&C VR would be OK to mount inside as well. Do you remember if there were any wiring changes, or was the SH a plug-n-play swap with the Ducati? Thanks, Paul

Thanks Harry, very good info. With that in mind, I would assume the new B&C VR would be OK to mount inside as well. Do you remember if there were any wiring changes, or was the SH a plug-n-play swap with the Ducati? Thanks, Paul

The SH accepts the Ducati connector. I had to add an additional ground wire from the SH regulator to a good local earth point - in my case I have a ground wire from the battery to the firewall so put the regulator onto the cockpit side of the same point.
One issue was bolt hole size/alignment - I had to open up the holes in the SH regulator on the drill press and used socket-head screws to fix it so it picks up the existing Vans anchor nuts on the avionics shelf.
I used the F4122 5-step regulator which SH recommend for the 912 when used with a Lithium battery, as I intend to fit the EarthX battery to save weight and move the C of G aft. Unfortunately the EarthX won't go directly into the Odyssey battery box in a 912 ULS aircraft as it's about 1/8" deeper so will require a bit of extra metalwork.
Vans specified the F4120 regulator instead in KAI 49-19 Rev 2 (Notification 18-04-00). Vans also has you link the C terminal directly to the BATT + terminal on the regulator but I didn't do this as otherwise you take away the ability to control the alternator. I don't have the standard Vans control module with fuses so have a dedicated 1A alternator control circuit breaker in the 'C' wire as well as the 20A output circuit breaker.

....has anyone installed the Silent Hektik or the new B&C VR inside the cabin?

Yes I have installed the SH in the cabin as per KAI. I proactively replaced the Ducati VR just shy of 8h TTAF knowing that it will fail sooner or later.
To reduce temperature I installed a PC fan which turns On with the master switch.
No problems so far, but only seeing 14.1V during cruise, which might be a bit low for charching the PC680 battery.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VeeJoo6eNeESUXmE8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AwRc2F7vriGaobxA9

xzDZSSnfrb2pYyAw6

If (one day) I should upgrade to the B&C regulator, I would possibly install it at the same location

The SH accepts the Ducati connector. I had to add an additional ground wire from the SH regulator to a good local earth point - in my case I have a ground wire from the battery to the firewall so put the regulator onto the cockpit side of the same point.

Yes I have installed the SH in the cabin as per KAI. I proactively replaced the Ducati VR just shy of 8h TTAF knowing that it will fail sooner or later. If (one day) I should upgrade to the B&C regulator, I would possibly install it at the same location

Thanks to both of you for the detailed descriptions!

I installed the John Deere regulator 4 and a half years ago with heat conductive paste, a cooling shroud and blast tube from the air duct. I monitor its temperature with a thermocouple. It rarely gets much above 150 degrees F when the battery is recharging right after takeoff.
I expect that it will last a long time. I carry a spare just in case. The regulator is not going to fail because it knows that I have a spare. :D

Back