What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

540s and modifications

Fenderbean

Well Known Member
Just on the road like most reading, learning, pondering and coming up with questions. I recently ran across a company that has options for water cooling among others and the horse power resulting from these mods seems substantial. 350 to 400+ depending on the upgrade, how is the motor able to handle such HP and would an airplane like the 10 handle that?

Pretty high HP for a -10. A parallel valve -540 can be built up to 300hp fairly reliably and many -10s flying with that and have stellar performance.

If I was going to do one of these water cool cylinder banks/350-400hp jobs, I'd probably want to start out with the heavy case/bottom end from an angle valve 540. However I would think the final engine HP/weight wouldn't be well suited for the -10. I think it would be a great engine for a Velocity XL, though.....

product information said "lighter" I guess that depends on the application and I like the idea of water cooling. I'm just researching/learning so thanks

Back