What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Setting Horizontal Stabilizer Angle - Tip

mturnerb

Well Known Member
Looking at this part of the plans, and trying a measuring tape at first, I found it difficult to get consistent measurements solo.

So I came up with what may or may not be a unique solution. I took a piece of wire and crimped a ring connector on it, then secured it to the center forward rivet hole and measured the distance and made adjustments. I was careful to twist the connector to point in the correct direction.

Connector/wire:

IMG_0156.jpeg

Using small piece of tape to mark exact position at each corner:

IMG_0157.jpeg

IMG_0159.jpeg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 9.49.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 9.49.22 PM.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Good way to use those new-found crimping skills! I think I'll use this technique - I was wondering what to use as to not get any stretch/unwinding in whatever string material I was going to use.

Drill a #40 hole at 1" mark on a tape measure and cleco it in place. But I have to admit, I like this method, too. Clever thinking.

Drill a #40 hole at 1" mark on a tape measure and cleco it in place. But I have to admit, I like this method, too. Clever thinking.

Never thought of that - but somehow it would bother me to drill into my tape measure.

Never thought of that - but somehow it would bother me to drill into my tape measure.

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby you can take a coupon and get a free one. Do it again the next month or week or day, and again... I have like six of them.

Also if you foster an attitude of, "modify to make it work" you will save yourself lots of time and effort over the course of a project. Be willing to innovate, it's freeing! :D

I find a string is an excellent tool to reference a straight line but it can stretch, even for a short distance. Longer distance makes it worse. I use a metal tape measure when I aligned my horz stabilizer because of it

I find a string is an excellent tool to reference a straight line but it can stretch, even for a short distance. Longer distance makes it worse. I use a metal tape measure when I aligned my horz stabilizer because of it

Same here; I just used a tape measure, hooked onto a corner of the stab. IN my case, I used the corner of the elevator counterweight cutout. Measure from there to a spot forward, do it on both sides, move stuff around, do it over again. I didn't find it to be particularly tedious.

Back